Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tuna Can
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
I need to add a tuna can to the engine. Who is the best source? Weiltmeister?
L. McC
Brett W
CAll Rich at HPH and order it. That is where I got mine for a reasonable price.
lmcchesney
Thanks Brett. Hope the frame strightening goes well.
L. McC
VegasRacer
Dave smilie_rolli_1.gif has one listed for sale in the classifieds.
http://www.914world.com/classifieds/detail...?cat=21&de=2505
Brett W
I paid 59 shipped for mine. nuff said.
Korijo
I paid 59 shipped for mine. nuff said.

Is that new or used ? Welt. or Garretson ? Machined or not ?

Just trying to get back what I paid...

I need to add a tuna can to the engine.

$60 shipped. PM me...

hi john smilie_rolli_1.gif aktion035.gif rocking nana.gif
Brad Roberts
It took us bitchin at Weltmeister before they finally decided the TUNA they where selling had some incorrect dimensions. Not sure when they are going to implement the changes, but none of them fit in the past. I'm not even sure we have any Garretson Tuna left on the shelves. I know we have pieces...

Buy Daves.

B
fiid
I had to modify the weltmeister one to get it to fit. It's an easy fix with a cutoff wheel in the grinder.
Brett W
It was a brand new Garrettson piece. Very well made. I would definitely do it again.
machina
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 23 2004, 01:43 AM)
It took us bitchin at Weltmeister before they finally decided the TUNA they where selling had some incorrect dimensions. Not sure when they are going to implement the changes, but none of them fit in the past. I'm not even sure we have any Garretson Tuna left on the shelves. I know we have pieces...

Buy Daves.

B

i just removed one from the 1.7. It never leaked. What was wrong with the tuna cans from welt? Which dims were out?

also, when I removed it there was the pickup tube, the can itself, and a bushing in the tube to hold it on the pickup. Am I missing anything? Can I use a stock gasket to seal it?

thanks,
dr
lmcchesney
I did not think the oil pickup was in the tuna can. Is that a modification? Did you eliminate the screen?
L. McC
machina
I thought the pickup extension was part of the tuna can. Puts the intake for the oil lower down in the case.

And yes, my tuna can had no screen. Don't think you can use the screen with the tuna can.

dr
URY914
Without the extension the can won't function like it needs to. The extenstion drops the pickup down into the oil.

Paul
machina
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 23 2004, 09:21 AM)
Without the extension the can won't function like it needs to. The extenstion drops the pickup down into the oil.

Paul

hey paul,

ever have a problem with oil pressure at sebring or moroso?

do you run a tuna can, accusump?

thanks,
dr
URY914
I've only run the Tuna Can, without any pressure problems. I worried about turn 17 at Sebring, but no problems.

Paul
Dave_Darling
The problem is that they changed suppliers at one point. The new center "bolt" was too long (it actually has internal threads, so I think it's really a nut but it looks like a bolt) so you could never get the can up against the bottom of the crankcase. You can probably cut off part of the bolt, but...

We bitched at WM and they started sending us the proper parts. I think, but am not certain, that the kits with the too-long "bolts" have worked their way out of the supply chain.

I don't recall the exact size of the "good" versus the "bad" ones.

Pelican can get them for you, as can just about every other supplier of aftermarket Porsche parts. Almost everyone carries Weltmeister stuff.

Jake hates the tuna can, but in a rear-engine'd application it seems to be a lot easier to scrape the bottom of the motor against something. (Which will trash the crankcase if it's got a tuna can on it.)

--DD
fiid
My problem was the pickup tube was too long. I cut about 4mm off of it and it worked fine.

You need the pickup tube because without it there is NO POINT! The idea is that when you are cornering really hard and all your oil pisses to the side of the oil pan - there is still a little oil trapped in the tuna can. The longer pickup tube is the straw through which the engine slups its milkshake (oil) from the resovoir that is trapped in the tuna can.

You do lose the stock screen, and it does use the stock gaskets - although an extra copper crush washer (I think it might be the same as the drain plug) is used to seal the bottom nut (as dave said - it looks more like a bolt - has threads on the inside).

When you install this thing BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO OVERTORQUE THAT NUT/BOLT. Apparently this will cause breakage of the piece in the engine (windage tray??) which means you have to separate the case halves to repair it.
machina
QUOTE(fiid @ Jun 23 2004, 02:10 PM)
When you install this thing BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO OVERTORQUE THAT NUT/BOLT. Apparently this will cause breakage of the piece in the engine (windage tray??) which means you have to separate the case halves to repair it.

according to jakes video, it can actually crack the boss in the case itself. so the case would be toast.

dr
fiid
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Jun 23 2004, 10:14 AM)
When you install this thing BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO OVERTORQUE THAT NUT/BOLT.  Apparently this will cause breakage of the piece in the engine (windage tray??) which means you have to separate the case halves to repair it.

according to jakes video, it can actually crack the boss in the case itself. so the case would be toast.

dr

that would be an MS BadThing™.
machina
The idea is that when you are cornering really hard and all your oil pisses to the side of the oil pan - there is still a little oil trapped in the tuna can. The longer pickup tube is the straw through which the engine slups its milkshake (oil) from the resovoir that is trapped in the tuna can.

If the can works as you've described it, and I think it does then it is useless if you are in a big sweeping corner.

The additional oil that is stored in the tuna can probably can't sustain oil pressure for more than a few seconds.

This must be why most production 914 racecars have an accusump or have gone to a dry sump arrangement.

Thanks for the revelation.

dr
fiid
Don't forget that there is quite a lot of oil down there and you have to be cornering pretty hard to run into this effect anyway.

I have only heard of the problem being a momentary lack of oil pressure. This solution (which is very cheap and easy to install) seems to capable of relieving it for long enough to make a difference on a lot of type IVs. The main problem seems to be physical interference (rocks). I think it would be hasty to dismiss it entirely.
machina
We corner pretty hard. smilie_flagge24.gif

Accusump is cheap insurance, and it pre-oils.

dr
fiid
You are right though - if you are in a long sweeper and are able to produce enough lateral G to get the oil out of the way of the pickup, and maintain it for a length of time, then this probably is not the right solution.

It should be easy to calculate how much lateral force it would take though and you can easily measure that in your car, so you could make a quantitative assessment about weather it is a tenable solution or not.
seanery
how does the deep sump kit compare to the tuna can? Are they different enough that it's apples vs. oranges?
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 23 2004, 09:53 AM)
The problem is that they changed suppliers at one point.  The new center "bolt" was too long (it actually has internal threads, so I think it's really a nut but it looks like a bolt) so you could never get the can up against the bottom of the crankcase.  You can probably cut off part of the bolt, but...

We bitched at WM and they started sending us the proper parts.  I think, but am not certain, that the kits with the too-long "bolts" have worked their way out of the supply chain.

I don't recall the exact size of the "good" versus the "bad" ones.

Pelican can get them for you, as can just about every other supplier of aftermarket Porsche parts.  Almost everyone carries Weltmeister stuff.

Jake hates the tuna can, but in a rear-engine'd application it seems to be a lot easier to scrape the bottom of the motor against something.  (Which will trash the crankcase if it's got a tuna can on it.)

--DD

I ordered one from Pelican a couple weeks ago and was going to install in a couple weeks. What are chances I have a good one? How can I tell?
machina
i think the magic bullet for deep sumps is a type I sump that jake modifies to fit a type IV. Not sure why its better than the ones made for our motors but I'm sure Jake has a damn good reason.

Regarding calculating sustained lateral g's and the oil starvation. I wouldn't know where to start the math. In the real world, probably wouldn't matter anyway. Turn 17 at Sebring is super bumpy, you have heavy braking from a loooong straight followed by a right hand sweeper that must be several hundred yards long.

I'll be watching all the gauges for a while before I feel comfortable there again. With the old 1.7, I just didn't care. Now its a different story.

dr
URY914
Here is a shot of me in turn 17 at Sebring. This was a few years ago. As you can see, several "G's" are involved. I'm sure that left side valve cover in full of oil.

Paul
machina
Paul,

That is an awsome shot.

And thats when your car was "heavy"

dr
Dave_Darling
Attention, attention--I am a dumbass!!

The "bolt" isn't too long, it's the oil pickup tube that is too long, just as Fiid said! Grr, sometimes my memory...

The tuna can works exactly as described, and keeps oil pressure going for "several seconds" longer than stock when you get into a sweeper. Most corners don't last much longer than it takes to empty the tuna can, at least if you've got a somewhat-streetable 914. In my car, I was able to run four on- and off-ramps in a row before the light came on after I put on the can. I was able to run just over one, I believe, before I did that.

The tuna can is not the be-all end-all; it is not a perfect solution. (Nothing is.) A full deep sump should keep the pickup submerged for longer, but usually at the expense of hanging down even lower. An Accusump gives you some period of time (depends on the size of the AS) of oil pressure even when the pump is providing zero pressure. Nice to have, but kinda expensive and kinda overkilll for most of us. A dry-sump system is really very nice, but is waaaaay too expensive for most of us and kind of a pain to fit.

I believe that Pelican started getting the corrected versions of the kit at least three months ago. When in doubt, ask. Might be a good idea to make certain that you can actually tighten the "can" against the pick-up before you start pouring oil into the motor, too...

--DD
URY914
I had just passed the 930 going down the stright and tossed the car into the corner... cool_shades.gif

Paul smilie_flagge24.gif
thesey914
agree.gif Awesome shot! Yeah look at all that weight screen, roof.....duck tape smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.