Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC 2005 Venue and Leadership?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Brad Roberts
Ron knows about the BBS as well as Ashley. I can quickly ask him if this idea is even feasible. I would bet they welcome the idea with open arms. I know Ron/Ashely run all the Diego/Qualcomm autoX's. The Festival of Speed would be "complete" at that point.

B
drew365
One of the POC members owns a great BBQ restaurant near CA Speedway. He'd probably love to have us hold a meeting there. Half the racers had dinner there during Tribute weekend.
boxstr
LA take it for 05.
CCLINOUTOFHERE
GaroldShaffer
Don't forget besides insurance you also need Timing equipment to run a AX.
Brad Roberts
Correct about the timing equipment. We would probably partner with the Riverside group who already holds AutoX's. Timing equipment would be easy. The only drawback I can see: the AutoX couldnt be 914 only. They "local PCA region" probably wouldnt like the idea. So the approach would be: let us help put together a PCA AutoX for the Fontana event.

Just thinking out loud. Getting the ball rolling now would be good.

B
SLITS
Ok Troops, I just got in from the Region 8 (Riverside) Board of Directors meeting. They WANT us to be part of their venue. At the meeting was a representative of the San Diego Region, who controls the Festival of Speed. The SD Region wants the Festival of Speed to become the premier Porsche event in the US (or world for that matter)

His input is that we need to confirm that we would do this and write up a proposal to be presented at the next SD Board Meeting. He futher added that the Festival has been in planning since the day after the last one. Further comments:

1. They are changing the venue to hold an AX in conjunction with the Festival of Speed. His concern was that the AX could total 200 cars. I told him we would not want to interfere and would like to hold our own under their sponsorship in the Front Parking lot in conjunction with theirs. That said, they would also like us to combine in their AX, but the runs might be limited. Riverside jumped and said we could rent timing equipment and they would participate in whatever manner they could.

2. The swap meet will no longer be under the Riverside Region due to a dismal turnout last year. Since Dunkles lost their property, THEY will be running the swap in conjunction with the Festival of Speed.

3. The "Parade laps" will be at lunch time both Saturday and Sunday and non PCA members are invited to join in (it will cost of course).

We have high interest from Riverside and can more than likely have the same from SD. When I mentioned that we had 74 Teeners, including the Alien and others, eyes lit up. Jeron coming from overseas was a boost too.

Twisty roads are available thru the mountains and other places.

My thoughts on a venue:
FRIDAY:
I entertained a venue of breakfast at ?? then a
twisty road tour that winds up at Bolsa Chica State Beach for an early afternoon/evening Beach Party.
Cook out in the fire pits that are available. Bonfires, etc..... Bratwurst and Dogs sounds good to me.

Saturday:
Festival of Speed AX, Parade Laps and Swap Meet

Sunday:
Festival of Speed Parade Laps, DD tech quiz and farewell party

Saturday and Sunday all depend upon which day they choose for the AX and Swap Meet.

Ok, I'm done for the night - NEED INPUT!!!!!

PS: We could cut it to two days. Nail this thread so I don't have to go looking for it - please!!!
Scott Carlberg
Slits,
excellent, EXCELLENT job! clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
markb
Throwing in my .02 here. I wasn't able to be at this years event, so I'm chomping at the bit for the next one. 3 days seems short to me. Is there any way some minor stuff could be put together for thurs & mon? Doesn't even have to be a lot of driving involved, so long as 914 stories & lies can be shared. smile.gif
Toast
QUOTE(lagunero @ Jun 24 2004, 07:40 PM)
Funny thing is I enjoyed the drives between venues, but that was SJ/ So. SF not LA!

I enjoyed the drives between events too! But you are right about LA. Traffic blows chunks in So. Cal. if you plan on traveling any lenght of distance. Plus the drivers down here are real arrogant assholes. fighting19.gif

Ok, enough of that. I went to two of the Festival of Speed events. The laps around the track were great! They had one of the turns altered into a narrow and tight turn coned course. Thats where you either fell behind, went out of the cones, or had a blast squeling your tires with perma grin! biggrin.gif
seanery
Bolsa Chica State Beach is listed as being in Huntington Beach. This is 56 miles west of Fontana (51 miles on freeway) The park closes at 10pm if Daylight Savings is in effect, 8pm if not. This sounds cool. I like this idea. Fontana hotels will fill up very quickly with the Festival of Speed. Fontana isn't a very pretty city, it's very industrial. The sucky part of being part of FOS is being stuck in Fontana for 3 days. It would be nice if the HQ hotel could be at the beach. smile.gif The Portofino or Crown Plaza in Redondo Beach would be nice.
Malmz
Wish I could commit to helping at this point, but there are too many variables for me right now. Those who know me know I have organized a few loose fun runs in the past. I will gladly help with this, but can't commit at an official level.

I posted this before but I don't think it was heard. Irwindale Speedway is in the center of the LA area. PCA/OCR runs events there every couple months. These events are always limited to 50-60 cars (they can since they aren't points events) so they run well. They may very well be interested in doing a dedicated 914 event plus letting their instructors run or something similar, especially if it can be billed as an additional special event, their region can pocket a couple bucks, and it would help promote their region.

Irwindale is also very close to the Angelest Crest Hightway area, some of the best curvies in the world. Fontana is reachable w/i a 30-45 minute drive.

Mike Graf is in charge of PCA/OCR Autoxs.

I have never gone to a SD event, but I hear they are rough because the total number of cars. You get a few runs a day. When you run with OCR, you get about 2 twenty minute sessions in the morning and your timed laps in the afternoon all in small run groups (6-8 cars).

Their site is http://www.pcaocr.org/
There is a typical autox flier on page 17 on this edition of Pano and Mike's contact info if anybody wants to persue it: http://www.pcaocr.org/pdf/2004_June.pdf

HTH,
sm
skline
The drawback to having a hotel in Redondo would be the distance and traffic involved trying to get to Fontana. The trip would be straight out the 10 but that is really not a very pleasant drive expecially in traffic. The problem with Fontana is the gang activity there. I know several cops that work that area and they dont even like patrolling Fontana. They say it is too dangerous. I would suggest a hotel in Like San Dimas or an area like that, or if you all like the beach area, Huntington and Sunset have some nice hotels. The drive to Fontana if its going to be 2 of the days, would be better and closer from like San Dimas or even Chino, somewhere in that area. Fontana is not a good choice for overnight stay.
SLITS
The hotels I am speaking about are around the Airport in Ontario (Haven Ave or Archibald / I-10), etc. Reason I even think of it is lots of hotels and lots of restaurants - also clost to Ontario Mills Mall (Gameworks, places to spend money, theatres, food, etc.)

Now it is close to Fontana, but I would think with the high volume of traffic, "gang" activity would be limited. And for that matter, damn near any city you go into has gang activity, so it is difficult to isolate yourself.

I like the idea of the hotel at the Beach. The drive to Fontucky on a Saturday/Sunday would not be that bad (certainly less hassle than on a weekday).

So, the idea is presented - figure out where in the hell you/everyone would like to have the headquarters and start talking to them.

I will be typing up a proposal to the SD Board about joining them for the Festival of Speed unless there is an objection to tying into that event.

Let's roll for 2005. Time is wasting.
seanery
just cause I'm a pain in the ass. Ontario in the spring is windy as hell, not much to see there either...unless we take a tour of the Porsche Cars North America West Coast Parts Distribution Center. They did that in 01 (?) with the Gran Prix region of PCA, it was pretty cool.
Gint
Is it time to move this discussion to the Events thread?

Just asking, don't shoot me. ar15.gif
seanery
It seems like a direction is on it's way.

Howard, are you the leader? Slits? Who's gonna be the bus driver?
Aaron Cox
i agree, fontana isnt the best place to stay overnight. in ontario, ive seen the massive wharehouse for porsche goods. that would be a fun tour!
TROJANMAN
ontario is a hell hole. there's nothing nice about it. it smells like cows when the wind blows. it's far from everything, except the local mountains. which are only 10 miles away, but you can't seem them because of all the smog. redlands might not be such a bad idea though. biggrin.gif
Malmz
Just Suggestions:

If you are looking at Ontario (and there are plenty of nice areas around there...)

- Ontario Mills Mall has plenty of resturants, parking, etc.
http://www.allaboutthefun.com/ALLABOUTTHEF...ario_Mills.html
EDIT: BETTER LINK: http://ontariomillsmall.com

- There is a very reasonable and nice Country Suites on the Mall Grounds with meeeting rooms, etc.
http://www.ayreshotel.com/ontariomills/

- It is very close to Ontario International Airport, big flights in, without the big airport PITA.

You could even do a rim of the world drive starting from around that area and go up to Big Bear or something similar.

This would also be a reasonable drive to Fontana or even Irwindale.

IMHO, the beach cities are great, but they are too far away from most other event locations.

sm
Toast
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 25 2004, 06:33 AM)
Bolsa Chica State Beach is listed as being in Huntington Beach. This is 56 miles west of Fontana (51 miles on freeway) The park closes at 10pm if Daylight Savings is in effect, 8pm if not. This sounds cool. I like this idea. Fontana hotels will fill up very quickly with the Festival of Speed. Fontana isn't a very pretty city, it's very industrial. The sucky part of being part of FOS is being stuck in Fontana for 3 days. It would be nice if the HQ hotel could be at the beach.  :)  The Portofino or Crown Plaza in Redondo Beach would be nice.

Fontana sucks! Ontario is only 15 minute drive from fontana. Plus you can go from Ontario Mills mall (about minutes from airport) and take the surface street it is on, 4th street, and that will take you straight to California speedway!

Ontario is more senic and has tons of stuff to do! Plus lots of lodging.

Redlands is expensive!
Malmz
One more add to that:

There is a Dave and Busters at the Mills too. For those not familiar, this is a massive resturant with huge arcade with games and simulators. Full bar too... Separate party rooms, buffets for groups, etc. It would be a blast. They often have about 10 sit down race car video games linked together where everybody can race each other. They specialize in large event get-togethers.

http://www.daveandbusters.com

sm
Toast
Shit.......
There is a Comedy Club, a multiple screen movie theather plus a 3d theater across the street, Game Works, 2 major restraunts in the Mills, plus Red Lobster, Chevy's, Olive Garden right across the street, plus Van's Skateboard Park................................
Malmz
Damn you guys! I'm trying to get my work done so I can go wakeboarding this weekend and I keep thinking of things!!! biggrin.gif

Rim of the world. Starting points would be 10 minutes from Ontario Mills. Better for a Friday event though...

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Rim.htm

sm
Toast
QUOTE(glstrojan @ Jun 25 2004, 09:43 AM)
ontario is a hell hole. there's nothing nice about it. it smells like cows when the wind blows. it's far from everything, except the local mountains. which are only 10 miles away, but you can't seem them because of all the smog. redlands might not be such a bad idea though. biggrin.gif

Riverside and Fontana smell like cows iand had bad smog n the summer because of the wind.

But the Santa Anna winds blow it right back on top of LA in the fall. (no winter in So. Cal.!) biggrin.gif
Toast
QUOTE(Malmz @ Jun 25 2004, 10:13 AM)
Rim of the world. Starting points would be 10 minutes from Ontario Mills. Better for a Friday event though...

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Rim.htm

sm

True, Espically friday day! Weekend traffic is very slow because of the flatlanders. rolleyes.gif

Ok, i'll let you get back to work now. Guess I better too. biggrin.gif
skline
Well, it looks like we have a place to start. Ontario is looking pretty good and there are some very good points. As for the wind, I dont recall it ever being as windy as 3Com park was the day of the AX. I also think its time to put this thread into the planning thread or create a new one there. I vote Slits to head up this thing, I and Howard and others will join in. We can meet in there and get this thing going and have it all done in a few days. biggrin.gif Ok, well, at least get it going in one direction anyway.
boxstr
Gangs, flatlanders,Malls,smog,smells like cows, windy, hell hole. Gee sounds like fun, I can hardly wait wacko.gif .
CCLINWCC2005
Toast
Southern California WCC 2005 Meeting

Ok, after PM communication between Slits, Howard, SCOTT, drew365, and myself, it has been agreed for a discussion/planning meeting.

Although no formal date has been agreed upon, I will throw one out here for anyone who would like to participate.

Saturday July 10th at 11:00 am.
419 N Fairfax Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036-1799
Phone: (323) 651-2030
*about 2 blocks from the Petersons Auto Museum*

If there is any problems with the date, time, or meeting location, please post it here. I would like to work out something so that everyone who will be participating can attend.

Toast

p.s. How is the So. Cal. team doing so far? beer.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Toast @ Jun 25 2004, 09:16 AM)

Riverside and Fontana smell like cows and have bad smog in the summer because of the wind.

But the Santa Anna winds blow it right back on top of LA in the fall. (no winter in So. Cal.!) biggrin.gif

you forgot about norco and corona. lol2.gif

not that anyone cares, but ontario would be very convenient for me because i still own my cabin in big bear. but, overall, it's not the best looking place to visit in so. cal. i wouldn't exactly call it the vacation capitol of the world. i still reserve that term for bakersfield. but to each his own.
what about big bear lake? it's just up the hill from fontana. and i dont think anyone would complain about the scenic drive up and down the mountain.
Toast
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jun 25 2004, 10:30 AM)
Gangs, flatlanders,Malls,smog,smells like cows, windy, hell hole. Gee sounds like fun, I can hardly wait wacko.gif .
CCLINWCC2005

laugh.gif Oh, come on CCLIN. You know you wont even notice any of that stuff durring the WCC. Besides, if you live in Palm Desert, you know all of this already. smoke.gif
Toast
QUOTE(glstrojan @ Jun 25 2004, 10:32 AM)
what about big bear lake?  it's just up the hill from fontana.  and i dont think anyone would complain about the scenic drive up and down the mountain.

Acutally, the roads to Big Bear lake have been a consideration for the Twisty Road Run on a Friday. Big Bear would be a BEAUTIFUL place to stay. May be a little more spendy for the weekend stay plus more traffic.
We're still not sure about making that a Twisty Road run or not. Seems like some people may be a little skeptical about it due to the cliffs.

you forgot about norco and corona.  

Norco and Corona are what started all the cow smell. icon8.gif barf.gif
Jenny
So..... we all stay at glstrojan's cabin, right? I'll bring my sleeping bag. biggrin.gif

This is sounding really great. My brother just moved from Huntington beach to Long beach. I can crash at his place, and probably even convince him to attend. Just make it NOT in June. This whole June gloom business is really depressing.

Jen
TROJANMAN
the road up through redlands gets less traffic. what cliffs? plus i don;t think it is to expensive to stay up there. i am sure we can work out some sort of discount thing. or maybe even find a network of homes to rent for the weekend and have everyone live in commune for the weekend.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Jenny @ Jun 25 2004, 09:49 AM)
So..... i can stay at glstrojan's cabin, right? I'll bring my sleeping bag. biggrin.gif

This whole June gloom business is really depressing.

Jen

no need for a sleeping bag. wink.gif (notice i changed your quote.) j/k lol2.gif

june gloom sucks. february and march are pretty nice times in so cal. if it rains there will be less smog.
Malmz
QUOTE(glstrojan @ Jun 25 2004, 09:32 AM)
what about big bear lake? it's just up the hill from fontana. and i dont think anyone would complain about the scenic drive up and down the mountain.

IMHO, too hard for everybody to get up and down the mountain, especially on the weekend, and especially for those who fly in. Great for a day drive tho...

sm <--- still lurking this thread...
Toast
agree.gif It is 45-75 minute mountain drive just to get to the bottom of the hill. Including weekend flatlander traffic. Plus 20 more minutes to get to Fontana.
lagunero
Toast-I'm in for the 10th. I bet you Howard chose the place biggrin.gif This all sounds great. Hotels along the 210 from Pasadena to Monrovia make a good starting point for all of these activities.
skline
QUOTE(Toast @ Jun 25 2004, 10:31 AM)

Ok, after PM communication between Slits, Howard, drew365, and myself, it has been agreed for a discussion/planning meeting.

So, did I get bumped out? Does that mean I dont need to come?
Jeff Bonanno
dissed again! and by cricket no less!
Howard
QUOTE(skline @ Jun 25 2004, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE(Toast @ Jun 25 2004, 10:31 AM)

Ok, after PM communication between Slits, Howard, drew365, and myself, it has been agreed for a discussion/planning meeting.

So, did I get bumped out? Does that mean I dont need to come?

We still love you Scotty. Come to the deli and I'll buy you a bagel. With cream cheese if you bring Lisa.

And just to piss everyone off, I'm trying to see if we can link to Santa Barbara PCA for a slalom or autox. I still like the central coast or San Diego better than the inland empire. Love the plan, Slits, but not the area. Rim of World has too many CHPpies and traffic there on weekends sucks.
seanery
WCC 2005 Planning Forum.

WCC 2005 Forum

There is a new forum created for the planning of the 05 Event in the 914 Event Planning forum. Those that would like to be involved in the planning PM me for the password.
Toast
Ok Scott, I added you to my post. I didn't forget ya. Now quit pouting and join the meeting.

*NOTICE: I started a new thread called "Southern California WCC 2005 Meeting".*
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 25 2004, 10:38 AM)

There is a new forum created for the planning of the 05 Event in the 914 Event Planning forum. Those that would like to be involved in the planning PM me for the password.

what if i just want to make stupid remarks and complain, can i still get a password? biggrin.gif
seanery
no, that's my job biggrin.gif
Toast
[quote=Howard,Jun 25 2004, 11:31 AM] [/QUOTE]And just to piss everyone off, I'm trying to see if we can link to Santa Barbara PCA for a slalom or autox. I still like the central coast or San Diego better than the inland empire. Love the plan, Slits, but not the area. Rim of World has too many CHPpies and traffic there on weekends sucks. [/quote]
Howard,
I like the central coast and San Deigo too. My only concern with San Diego is the extra distance for our North and Northeast memebers. Maybe we should do a poll to see what location people would be willing to travel too.

I agree with you about Big Bear run. Temecula twisty roads were also a consideration.

These are things that can be for discussion at the meeting.
Joe Bob
Don't do ANYTHING with the Santa Barbara PCA....they are on my SHITLIST/.
Alison Baker
[quote=skline,Jun 25 2004, 10:21 AM]

[/QUOTE]
So, did I get bumped out? Does that mean I dont need to come? [/quote]
Scott, you better be there. Howard ,you and I can have another laugh ...!
I wish it was next year already mueba.gif
SLITS
Before I leave this thread and disappear into the "protected form - otherwise known as the insane asylum, I want to say that I can't be the bus driver - my medical for my CDL expires in 4 days laugh.gif

To the point, we need 3-4 drivers and please notice I didn't say co-drivers. It's a long haul to put it together and I can't stay awake that long. Secondly, if I croak, we need a couple of others that are in agreement and up to speed to take over the driving. This is a team effort - period.

All ideas are welcome - I don't care where we go or what we do as long as it is pleasureable and equal to or better than the job Jeff and his crew did on WCC2004 for all concerned.

Remember, this about the people that inhabit this web based "club" - not the organizers. WCC2004 is a hard act to follow, but I would certainly like to try to turn Shitty Shakey LA into a garden spot for at least three days.

Nuff said!!!!!!!!!
DNHunt
Slits

You go man. If you are gonna raise the bar after this year, I may have to try to drive my car to LA. I'll have to change my handle to roids. Damn my ass still hurts. I'll be drivin the AX on a doughnut.

Dave
Porsche Rescue
After the 1500 mile roundtrip to WCC '04, along with another couple of hundred local miles, I'm not too enthused about a 1000 mile drive down I-5 to So Cal next year. However, a leisurely 3 day trip down the coast or even east and then south on some scenic two lane roads could get me excited. Take enough time to enjoy some top-off scenery and good food stops. Kevin, Dave, Geoff, Aaron, Bruce, Craig??????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.