Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HOW TO: Install a main wiring harness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
i love porsche
i need your help..i just got a wiring harness in the mail...and im trying to identify all the parts...i did a little..but i couldnt get far..im not very good at reading the wiring diagrams

so i took pictures of each part and im hoping you guys could possibly tell me where they go

i really appreciate all the help i can get
i love porsche
confused24.gif
i love porsche
confused24.gif
i love porsche
confused24.gif
i love porsche
confused24.gif
i love porsche
confused24.gif
i love porsche
confused24.gif
i love porsche
confused24.gif
i love porsche
this is the last..thanks for your help guys
Dave_Darling
Step 1--buy yourself a Haynes manual and turn to the Wiring Diagrams section. (You can print diagrams out from Pelican's website, or from the PDF manuals available somehwere around here, but Haynes is pretty convenient and is less than $20--well worth it!)

First pic: The ring terminals go on the battery (+) clamp. The connector on the left goes on the relay board; can't see if it's the 12-pin connector at the right-rear or the 14-pin connector on the front of the board. If the latter, it's part of the main wiring harness for the whole car. Talk to Aaaaahndy about reinstalling the main harness.

Pic 2: Unknown, looks aftermarket to me but I'm not certain on that.

Pic 3: Fuel injection wiring harness. Looks like it's for an L-jet 1.8 motor. The plug at the far end plugs into the ECU (the "brain") and the other plugs go into various parts of the injection system.

Pic 4: Main harness, possibly the rear trunk end of it.

Pic 5: Main harness; I'm thinking that the branches toward the right side of the pic are where the harness splits up after exiting the center tunnel and going up to the top side of the engine shelf?

Pics 6-10: More main harness. It runs on top of the center tunnel, and has branches that run off to various parts. Up under the dash is a lot of wiring, and I think it goes into the front compartment over on the left side and branches again...

Umm, I think I've hit the end of my knowledge here. Aaaaahndy?

--DD
SirAndy
yupp, will help. i need to go and get breakfast first (need coffee ...)

i seem to see a lot of cut wires, is that correct or am i just not awake yet?

more later,
Andy
SirAndy
ok, before i go into more detail, what year is your car ????

this harness is for a late model, looks like '73 and onward ...
Andy
SirAndy
rear first ...

NOTE: where is says "fuel pump & oil temp" it seems the fuel pump wires are missing, in one of the other pictures, it only shows the green oil temp wire !!!!
SirAndy
fuel injection harness, others may chime in here, it seems different from mine, especially since the MPS connector seems to be on the wrong end of things ?!?
SirAndy
main section ...
SirAndy
and the front ...
JeffBowlsby
You are phenominal Andreas...

fuel injection harness, others may chime in here, it seems different from mine, especially since the MPS connector seems to be on the wrong end of things ?!?

That large connector housing at the near end of the harness is for the AFM...no MPS on an L-Jet car...
SirAndy
a few tips about installation:

the whole harness must be installed from inside the cabin!
everything that goes to the back of the car, rear trunk, engine comp, center tunnel has to be fiddled in from the FRONT of the center tunnel backwards!
meaning, the taillight wires first, then string the whole back end through.

NOTE: in the front part of the center tunnel, the harness routing is *different* for early/late cars!
don't miss that first hoop or you won't be able to fit the mount for the floor board!

it's a lot easier to fiddle the big connectors through tight holes FIRST, even if they're not the first thing in the harness, if you feed the smaller wires first, the bigger connectors won't fit anymore.
this will take some practice biggrin.gif

yes, all the engine and rear trunk stuff fits through the rear firewall hole, even the big rubber boot!
trust me, you can do it!
btw. it *REALLY* helps having a second person sitting in the engine comp while you feed the stuff through!

once the rear is in place, feed the front part through the front firewall (left from the steering wheel).
same here, feed bigger connectors first!

smash.gif Andy
SirAndy
one more:
i love porsche
wow...thanks so much! that is going to be so helpful

yeah, i have the haynes manual...but im not very good at reading the wiring diagrams...what is nice is that there is already a bet up wiring harness in the car...so i have that for some reference..but what i want to do is put lables on the parts of the wiring to make it easier for me, i cant thank you guys enough for your help!
CptTripps
Sorry to dig up a way-old topic, but I needed info like this and found it by 'searching the old stuff'.

Wow. This is the most amazingly helpfull post I've seen here. Why in the world isn't in the 'Classics'?

I'm alwaysed impressed that you all take the time to help out the 'new guy' with WAY more information than they asked for. I'd say it's like you can read minds...but you just know the question that'll come next and answer it anyway.

Bravo...

...ok, enough a$$ kissing. Back to my sceptical face.
SirAndy
alright, renamed it and moved it to the classics ...

IPB Image Andy
Gint
New information added to this subject by Jeff Bowlsby can be found in this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=114932

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 24 2011, 06:04 PM) *

I'll suggest a couple of revisions to the chassis wiring harness removal/installation thread to make things easier.

It is easiest and best to take apart or remove a couple of the larger connector housings to ease the process and avoid damage to either the car, the wires, wire terminals or the connector housings, especially at the chassis holes where the harness passes through. Reinstallation is a 'snap'.

1. Don’t cut anything, there is never a need to cut wiring just for removal or reinstallation Connectors with housings easily disassemble. Make a diagram for where specific wires go in the housing before disassembling connector housings, for later use during reassembly. See diagram below to access the wire terminal release tangs.
2. Remove the plastic housings from the headlight branches.
3. Remove the cover and base from the 14-pin connector housing.
4. Remove the single pole box cover at the oil temp wire near the battery on the 1973-76 cars.
5. Avoid putting stress or severely bending any wire terminal or portion of the harness. Avoid nicking or chafing the wire insulation or casing by liberal use of a lubricant. Applying a lubricant like glycerine really helps pass it through the tight spots and can avoid damage. Glycerine is non-oily and wipes off easily, find it inexpensively at your local pharmacy and use it regularly on your other rubber trim parts to keep them fresh and prevent them from drying out.
6. The rubber double grommet conduit (‘snorkel’) is hard to deal with. Assuming it is on the harness already, leave it on the harness, do not slice it (unless is badly deteriorated). There are no new replacements at this time for this grommet. Lube this up to save it if at all possible.

IPB Image

Frank S
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 24 2004, 10:48 PM) *

one more:

I'm a bid confused, is the red line on the pic showing the routing of the early or the late car?
Thanks,
Frank

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146

Dave, Andy you will both be rewarded in the afterlife.......but not too soon please.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Frank S @ Sep 16 2016, 01:17 AM) *
I'm a bid confused, is the red line on the pic showing the routing of the early or the late car?

The car shown is an early car ...
bye1.gif
Frank S
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 16 2016, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Frank S @ Sep 16 2016, 01:17 AM) *

The car shown is an early car ...
bye1.gif

Thanks!
Daryl32
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 24 2004, 12:48 PM) *

one more:

Thank you Andy!!!!! I am working on a 73 V8 conversion and had to run another harness through the car. Your labeling of the harness will help with some of the "what are these and where do they go "?'s" I have.

Still not sure how to tie-up/mount the bundle of wires near the fuse panel.

This is with the harness in the engine bay done and up to the shifter.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is with harness through front bulkhead and the rats nest zip tied up waiting for stuffing and hook up.

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
QUOTE(Daryl32 @ Feb 19 2020, 06:44 AM) *
Still not sure how to tie-up/mount the bundle of wires near the fuse panel.

@Daryl32

There should be metal tabs on the body going up to that area to help keeping the harness in place.

Installing a main harness is one of those things that always looks daunting no matter how carefully you plan ahead.
biggrin.gif
Daryl32
@SirAndy

Thank you - I will be getting back at it Monday. Had to take a week off away from it so I could see the trees even while in the forest!

Do you coil up the extra harness near the fuse panel?

Sorry for adding to an older thread.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Daryl32 @ Feb 22 2020, 08:20 AM) *

There should be no "extra" if it is routed correctly ...
idea.gif
Daryl32
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 22 2020, 09:47 AM) *

idea.gif

idea.gif headbang.gif

Back to the floor position. LOL I have a lot.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Daryl32 @ Feb 22 2020, 09:52 AM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 22 2020, 09:47 AM) *

idea.gif

idea.gif headbang.gif
Back to the floor position. LOL I have a lot.

There should be metal tabs on the body from the location where the harness exits the front of the center tunnel, behind(ish) the pedal board and up to the fuse panel location.
If you follow those tabs with the harness, there should be no extra by the time the fuse panel is mounted.
popcorn[1].gif
Mikey914
Perfect timing. Taylor just shot some color on the car so he can get it off the rotisserie. The final paint will be shot once most of the work is done. We were just looking at the harness he took out and this is a great reference.

Thanks again Andy
Archie
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 24 2004, 01:41 PM) *

a few tips about installation:

the whole harness must be installed from inside the cabin!
everything that goes to the back of the car, rear trunk, engine comp, center tunnel has to be fiddled in from the FRONT of the center tunnel backwards!
meaning, the taillight wires first, then string the whole back end through.

NOTE: in the front part of the center tunnel, the harness routing is *different* for early/late cars!
don't miss that first hoop or you won't be able to fit the mount for the floor board!

it's a lot easier to fiddle the big connectors through tight holes FIRST, even if they're not the first thing in the harness, if you feed the smaller wires first, the bigger connectors won't fit anymore.
this will take some practice biggrin.gif

yes, all the engine and rear trunk stuff fits through the rear firewall hole, even the big rubber boot!
trust me, you can do it!
btw. it *REALLY* helps having a second person sitting in the engine comp while you feed the stuff through!

once the rear is in place, feed the front part through the front firewall (left from the steering wheel).
same here, feed bigger connectors first!

smash.gif Andy

Thanks a tremendous bunch for this, Your Excellency! I'm at the removing stage and you've just stopped a lot of head scratching! (Mine!)
porschetub
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Jun 25 2004, 01:13 PM) *

wow...thanks so much! that is going to be so helpful

yeah, i have the haynes manual...but im not very good at reading the wiring diagrams...what is nice is that there is already a bet up wiring harness in the car...so i have that for some reference..but what i want to do is put lables on the parts of the wiring to make it easier for me, i cant thank you guys enough for your help!

Get the whole thing and "pin it out" on a 8x4 sheet of plywood and label what you already know,you will then be over to repair or replace cut connectors,you have the info to get in to this on this forum,Andy has got you started.
Did a VW CIS to Dijifant conversion loom this way a while back and it made it real easy.
Don't worry about the engine loom as they kinda sort themselves due to plugs mostly fitting one way.
Good luck,not something I would do but I'am and old fart and too cautious lol-2.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.