Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weltmeister springs - which do you suggest.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I have a 75 2.0, with 8spoke empi 15" 4 lug, and 195/55 performance tires. Currently have bilistein sport shocks, adjustable with newer #100 springs. When set higher to give better clearance its pretty bouncy, so I moved them down 3 notches to take tension off springs but before I rolled the fender lips they would have almost zero clearance on outside.

Would going to #140s help. I know there is an inch diff in height so if I put the shock setting higher- more pressure on the spring I will get a little higher ride, but will it be too stiff for daily driving and the occasional d.e. on the road course- robeling road? It should bounce less but .

Anyone used this combination? I've not had the #140s but have a chance to buy some.
Need some I.put to make a decision on this.

Thanks

Phil

I also have stock sway bar with new bushings
Dr Evil
140 wink.gif
Mike Bellis
That's not funny! sad.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 20 2011, 12:45 AM) *

140 wink.gif

O.k so my stupid phone posted this twice somehow! ?!?

Would admin please delete one?

Hey doc, r u saying u feel strongly both ways?

P.s. thanks for the help bootyshake.gif
SUNAB914
I believe 140's will make it lower.
sean_v8_914
springs and dampers should be better matched. while the bilstein sport is a great shock, it is a bit firm for stock springs. it will feel better with 140 springs.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jul 20 2011, 09:16 AM) *

springs and dampers should be better matched. while the bilstein sport is a great shock, it is a bit firm for stock springs. it will feel better with 140 springs.

chris, Sean-

thanks for the input, - yes the 140# when on according to welt. sit 1" lower.

so i would probably adjust the shocks up a couple notches, and was hoping that the 140# stiffness would work better with those shocks and reduce the bounce, and still give a decent ride yet work well for the A.X and D.E. - setting it high puts more stress on the springs, whereas lower takes it off the springs, putting more demand on the shock, also reducing thebounce,, i'm just wondering what the best balance, and set up would be.

one other factor is the tires, obviously the lower profile wider 195/55 will feel different than a 165/70 as well. -

thanks for the input.

phil
pcar916
I'd go for the 140's in a heartbeat.

They will transform the handling but might require that you make a change to the front as well. If the front is less stiff than it should be to be to balance with the 140's, then you'll wind up with more oversteer than 100# rear springs will get you. You can tweak this out with front sway bar settings or a torsion bar swap if it's more than you can do with tire pressures and shock settings (if you have adjustable front shocks).

As far as stressing the shocks or the springs... I'd simply get the car to handle properly regardless of which part is stressed more. That's the name of the game.

Good luck
Cupomeat
Hey, I thought that Bilstein shocks are not adjustable in dampening/rebound?

Do you mean that you adjusted the spring perch? Raising and lowering the spring perch will have no impact on ride.

I did the googles on the intranets laugh.gif and can't find any Bilstein Sport shocks that are adjustable... Please clarify, as a complete answer to your question relies on this attribute.

SO, either way, here is my opinion.
If you have Bilstein sports on the back and no anti-roll bar, use the 140# springs (as they are a better match for the Sport shocks) and use the Koni sport snubbers.

If you have an anti roll bar in the back, go with the 140# springs, but stick to the stock snubbers.

The Koni sport snubbers will allow the rear shocks to compress an amount before significantly increasing the combined spring rate. This would be best for a car with no anti-roll bar as the anti-roll bar increases the combined spring rate in a corner as well.

Now, what are you running in the front end? I would think you need to match your suspension. You could get by with 19mm torsion springs if you have Bilstein sprot struts upfront. As the front of the car is lighter, the front of the car will have a bigger impact on the actual ride of the car.

I hope this helps.

VaccaRabite
I have weltmiester 140s on my car with nonadjustable shocks and 205 tires. The springs seem to sit a little higher then stock. They have setteled a little and may settle some more yet but right now my car has a very slight rake to it.
VaccaRabite
Also, with 140s you can use stock front A arms but you need the sway bar if you do not have one. Stock is fine, but you will want it or your car is going to be a little tail happy in the corners.
Zach
DRPHIL914

I have sway bar with new bushings,
the shocks are adjustable in the location of the retention ring location for the spring, so you have a higher ride with morepressure sooner on the spring, or if it is lowered, then more demand on the shock,less on the spring and lower ride.

I have not gotten to the front. The back was bad old koni and weak springs.
The front is the next project. It feels good, but will atleast need the sway bar as zach said.

What are snubbers?

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 20 2011, 10:26 AM) *

Hey, I thought that Bilstein shocks are not adjustable in dampening/rebound?

Do you mean that you adjusted the spring perch? Raising and lowering the spring perch will have no impact on ride.

I did the googles on the intranets laugh.gif and can't find any Bilstein Sport shocks that are adjustable... Please clarify, as a complete answer to your question relies on this attribute.

SO, either way, here is my opinion.
If you have Bilstein sports on the back and no anti-roll bar, use the 140# springs (as they are a better match for the Sport shocks) and use the Koni sport snubbers.

If you have an anti roll bar in the back, go with the 140# springs, but stick to the stock snubbers.

The Koni sport snubbers will allow the rear shocks to compress an amount before significantly increasing the combined spring rate. This would be best for a car with no anti-roll bar as the anti-roll bar increases the combined spring rate in a corner as well.

Now, what are you running in the front end? I would think you need to match your suspension. You could get by with 19mm torsion springs if you have Bilstein sprot struts upfront. As the front of the car is lighter, the front of the car will have a bigger impact on the actual ride of the car.

I hope this helps.

eric9144
I have 140# springs on red Koni adjustables, stock torsion bars, the big weltmeister front sway bar, 205/60's on 2.0 Fuchs, it's been a fantastic combo for street, AX, DE...the Konis had the 3 position perch in back to adjust ride height so sorting that out was easy.

Do it...

Snubbers are the rubber stops that prevent metal bashing should you "bottom out" your suspension on a hard bump
eric9144
Edit: duplicate post smile.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jul 20 2011, 01:16 PM) *

I have 140# springs on red Koni adjustables, stock torsion bars, the big weltmeister front sway bar, 205/60's on 2.0 Fuchs, it's been a fantastic combo for street, AX, DE...the Konis had the 3 position perch in back to adjust ride height so sorting that out was easy.

Do it...

Snubbers are the rubber stops that prevent metal bashing should you "bottom out" your suspension on a hard bump

this was taken before i put the new sway bar bushings in but you can see the slots for changing the silver spring plate location, up on down.
eric9144
With my perches set to the lowest position my ride height is close to stock in back...depending on where yours are currently set, you should be able to get about an inch drop by moving it down... Can't tell from the pic which setting you are on now.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 20 2011, 12:09 PM) *

I have sway bar with new bushings,
the shocks are adjustable in the location of the retention ring location for the spring, so you have a higher ride with morepressure sooner on the spring, or if it is lowered, then more demand on the shock,less on the spring and lower ride.

I have not gotten to the front. The back was bad old koni and weak springs.
The front is the next project. It feels good, but will atleast need the sway bar as zach said.

What are snubbers?

I don't think that there is any different in shock demand based on spring height perch. The car will settle to the same spring height no matter the perch height. The "more pressure" you speak of is only applicable to letting the car off the jack.

Does this make sense?

A snubber is the rubber device that keeps the shock from completely collapsing, protecting the shock mechanism and in the case of the Koni snubbers adding spring rate as the snubber intersects the shock body. driving.gif
stugray
HELP! I am about to buy the Ground Control coil over package.
It has the Yellow KONIs and the adjustable spring perches.

I dont know what spring rate to get.
This is for a dedicated (stock 2.0L) race car for vintage road racing.

I will be running 205 Hoosiers, and the car has a front weltmeister sway bar and 23mm hollow torsion bars.

I though thought 180 lbs would be in the right range, but the sales person at GC said I should get closer to 300lbs.

What does everyone suggest?
I am considering making the car street legal, but only drive it rarely.

Stu
DanT
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 16 2011, 12:51 PM) *

HELP! I am about to buy the Ground Control coil over package.
It has the Yellow KONIs and the adjustable spring perches.

I dont know what spring rate to get.
This is for a dedicated (stock 2.0L) race car for vintage road racing.

I will be running 205 Hoosiers, and the car has a front weltmeister sway bar and 23mm hollow torsion bars.

I though thought 180 lbs would be in the right range, but the sales person at GC said I should get closer to 300lbs.

What does everyone suggest?
I am considering making the car street legal, but only drive it rarely.

Stu

180-225 should be plenty....with the 23mm front bars I would probably go 200.
If you had a stiffer front bar I would say 225.
300 on the rear of a stockish 2.0L will make the car very tail happy.
I ran 200s on the rear of my 914-6 with a heavy 2.7L RS motor.
yeahmag
I disagree. I have 21mm torsion bars and have gone from 175lbs, to 225lbs, and am on my way to 300lbs in the rear. I would start at 275-300lbs and work up from there. You have a LOT of front spring rate compared to me too.

Are you running a rear bar? LSD? Shocks? Stock rubber or delrin?
DanT
IIRC hollow 23mm bars are the equivalent spring rate to a set of 21mm solid bars... smile.gif
On my orange racecar, 2056cc I ran 21mm front tbars with 19mm sway bar, Koni adjustables.
On the rear I ran Custom valved Bils with 180# springs...car handled and cornered well on track...just ask all the 911 drivers I put in my rear view... biggrin.gif
yeahmag
Were you running Hoosiers? Things changed quickly for me when I switched to DOT-R's.
DanT
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Nov 16 2011, 04:03 PM) *

Were you running Hoosiers? Things changed quickly for me when I switched to DOT-R's.

No I was running V710s on custom 7" steelies under stock fenders....
stugray
"Are you running a rear bar? LSD? Shocks? Stock rubber or delrin?"

22mm Welt front sway bar, no LSD (yet)
23mmm hollow torsion bars
Front shocks have not been upgraded as far as I know ( need to look & upgrade to match the rears).
Stock rubber for now.

I am tending to say that the 300lbs suggested by the vendor is right.

Stu
yeahmag
The stock rubber adds perceived spring rate as it twists vs. turning. I still think you're on the right path as you can crank up the front bar to compensate.
draganc
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 20 2011, 10:32 AM) *

Do it...

this was taken before i put the new sway bar bushings in but you can see the slots for changing the silver spring plate location, up on down.

I don;t know if 'm late with my post, but I think your rear sway bar is mounted "backwards". it needs to point to the front and up.

majkos
agree.gif doesn't look correct.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(draganc @ Nov 16 2011, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 20 2011, 10:32 AM) *

Do it...

I don;t know if 'm late with my post, but I think your rear sway bar is mounted "backwards". it needs to point to the front and up.

yes,- they were not really attached in that picture. i had just put the new shocks and springs in and in the process of pulling the pin out, the bushings just crumbled!, I now have new bushings installed- in the correct position rolleyes.gif

by the way, just doing some fun local road street driving, i am amazed at how this car corners with the current set up ( smile.gif ) of Stock front and rear sway bars, rear welt.100# springs with the bilistein sport shocks. I really want to get a chance at putting it on an AX course (stock front inserts i think). biggrin.gif

I believe i will leave it alone right now , because it s plenty stiff right now, has good balance so, any other change would not be necessary i do not believe.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.