Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer Drive Retaining Bolt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
p914
The hole is stripped. I tried a helicoil but it eventually came out.
Is tapping a larger size the next step? Also, it's a regular bolt, right? No special end or tip?
Drums66
....It is a regular bolt? what size? biggrin.gif
bye1.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Special tip. Locates the drive in the correct position so the gears mesh correctly.

The Cap'n
p914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 21 2011, 01:46 PM) *

Special tip. Locates the drive in the correct position so the gears mesh correctly.

The Cap'n

I thought it looked a little different. So I guess I'll have to fill the hole with something like JB Weld and tap to original size?
pcar916
That would work, or another boss that the bolt can screw into.

The hole in the case is threaded and the tip on the bolt locates into the hole in the drive casing. The pin isn't a tight fit in the drive-body, just a peg in a hole.

An o-ring keeps the oil inside the case upstream from the locator-bolt.

If you still have leakage around that o-ring, have a second groove cut into the speedo body for a second o-ring. It works better and the original should have had two anyway. One of our forum folks does a fine job of that in the vendor section.

Good luck!
underthetire
Forget Helicoils. Get a Keen-cert.
Mike Bellis
You need a time-sert.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TIME-SERT-N...=item3f08896dfe
Richard Casto
Another alternative if that hole is really screwed up is to just source a new transmission end cover. I am sure there are a number of people on the forum who might have some extras.

Richard
p914
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Jul 22 2011, 06:21 AM) *

Another alternative if that hole is really screwed up is to just source a new transmission end cover. I am sure there are a number of people on the forum who might have some extras.

Richard

I thought about that too. Thanks!
Dr Evil
I can repair yours with a time-cert, or I have repaired covers for sale smile.gif

It is a special bolt, as stated.
p914
Thanks for all the ideas. I'm thinking a Time Sert will be my 1st try. I need to clear off the old helicoil from the screw 1st without messing it up.

Appreciate all the input beerchug.gif
Eddie
Dr Evil
Eddie, you will need an oversize time cert, it is sold in a kit, it is not cheap. I have this kit.
p914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 24 2011, 01:48 PM) *

Eddie, you will need an oversize time cert, it is sold in a kit, it is not cheap. I have this kit.

Yeah, I thought I saw the kit for about $90. Is that right? I'm on the left coast so I'd have to pull the rear case off and send it. Not sure if the costs would be the same to buy the kit or send it back and forth.
Drums66
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Jul 22 2011, 06:21 AM) *

Richard

.....Did you hear this man?/ idea.gif
bye1.gif
p914

.....Did you hear this man?
I'd like to try and avoid that but won't rule it out. The less I have to take apart the better.
Dr Evil
I can send you a good one and you send back the bad. Easy. Just pay shipping and for parts installed (certs).

PM me and we can work it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.