Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking brake issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrewmlin
I'm having problems with my parking brake.

When I'm on an incline (even just my driveway, which is not that steep), if I park the car and apply the parking brake, the car will start will start rolling (albeit a little slower). In other words, the parking brake is ineffective and in order to park on an incline, I have to put the car in gear and turn off the engine.

Is there a quick adjustment for this? I'm still new to working on my vehicle.
Drums66
....It is adjustable, let the experts explain it to you? laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
There is. Firt you have to check and set the "venting clearance" on the rear brakes. It's a bit complex, but not too difficult unless something strips or otherwise goes wrong. Once that's done, you can set the cable length with the threaded adjustment near the left side of the firewall, underneath the car.

Here's a link to the procedure: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=90625

I'm gonna add a couple of thoughts: First, you want to be sure the rotor is clamped flat to the hub. Running on a couple of lug blots meant for steel wheels is a good way to do this. Be sure they're opposite each other, and not excessively tight. Next, I use a long feeler gauge and leave it in place while I'm turning the disc to check for high spots. I let it extend clear past the pad, inserting it from the top, and I turn the rotor so it pulls the feller gauge down, away from my fingers. By holding it with my fingertips, I can judge the drag and identify whether the clearance is good. I always use .004", as that's what they told us at Porsche school, many years ago. Good luck!

The Cap'n
andrewmlin
Thank you for the detailed reply Cap'n! Maybe this will seem obvious after I adjust the rear calipers per your instructions, but what is the procedure for adjusting the cable length? What is the correct length?

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 27 2011, 03:51 PM) *

There is. Firt you have to check and set the "venting clearance" on the rear brakes. It's a bit complex, but not too difficult unless something strips or otherwise goes wrong. Once that's done, you can set the cable length with the threaded adjustment near the left side of the firewall, underneath the car.

Here's a link to the procedure: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=90625

I'm gonna add a couple of thoughts: First, you want to be sure the rotor is clamped flat to the hub. Running on a couple of lug blots meant for steel wheels is a good way to do this. Be sure they're opposite each other, and not excessively tight. Next, I use a long feeler gauge and leave it in place while I'm turning the disc to check for high spots. I let it extend clear past the pad, inserting it from the top, and I turn the rotor so it pulls the feller gauge down, away from my fingers. By holding it with my fingertips, I can judge the drag and identify whether the clearance is good. I always use .004", as that's what they told us at Porsche school, many years ago. Good luck!

The Cap'n

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.