Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Bolt Washers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
When removing the CVs the bolts did not have schnorr washers but instead had washer 'plates' on both sides. Should I reuse the plates or use schnorrs? Or both?
(Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics)
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dangrouche
QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 28 2011, 09:32 PM) *

When removing the CVs the bolts did not have schnorr washers but instead had washer 'plates' on both sides. Should I reuse the plates or use schnorrs? Or both?

you will need them in addition to the plates; Dr. Evil sells them. when you put them back on, you want the threads of the CV bolt to be clean and dry as well as the hubs' threads.
SirAndy
Both!

popcorn[1].gif
rjames
you will need them in addition to the plates; Dr. Evil sells them. when you put them back on, you want the threads of the CV bolt to be clean and dry as well as the hubs' threads.

Aweomse, thanks! beer.gif Mine didn't have the washers on either side. dry.gif

So now that I have the CVs out, it seems to make sense to inspect, clean up and repack them. Nube question, but do I do both sides of the axle? Do I need new bolts with saftey wire on both ends? Found a good video on youtube showing the rebuilding of the CV on the transmission side, but doesn't mention the wheel side of the axle.

BTW, I learned that the Good Doctor is now longer selling the CV bolts and safety wire, but that RJMII (Jim) is.

mojorisen914
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Jul 29 2011, 12:43 AM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 28 2011, 09:32 PM) *

agree.gif
Dr Evil
RJMII sells them smile.gif I gave that biz to him and he is doing well at it.
76-914
And don't forget to torque them. I say this because I under torqued them for years and all the while thinking I had them tight enough. It's scary how tight those need to be. smash.gif
Dr Evil
30 ft/lb, not that tight.
Tom
DR. Evil,
Should these be torqued dry? I have always heard to lube bolts before torquing.
What kind of feed-back have you received on using your bolts and safety wire? Any stories?
Thanks,
Tom
Dr Evil
30ft.lb is a "range." It is fine to do it dry, but I have yet to do so since grease inevitably makes it into the bolt hole. The torque is only needed to be made close. If it is 35 it will not be a problem. Too much or too little in any appreciable direction will matter more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.