Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 trailer pics (single or dual axle)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dlee1967
I spent quite some time browsing different posts of trailers used to transport 914s and finally decided to build my own. There only seemed to be a few single axle trailers with brakes shown on this board. I chose a single axle to keep the size down and make it easy to move by myself when it is not attached to the tow vehicle. I hope this thread serves as a means for others going through the same process a chance to see what others are doing without spending hours looking through posts with the word trailer. David Lee

Single axle trailer
Dual axle trailer
trailer brakes
914 trailer
dlee1967
another view
TimT
heres mine
TimT
Mine isnt easy to move, or store, but its all I got
Mueller
bought this one for about $700 bucks...works okay for our sized cars, my 911 fits on it, however the trailer feels strange due to the heavy a$$ of the 911 hanging off the rear of the trailer...

I'm going to make the tire rack removable, I scratched a front fender of "my" 914-6 w/GT flares when I 1st picked it up.

The white car on the trailer I totally smashed the passanger side front fender while putting the car on the trailer......glad it needs a paint job
drew365
Mine looks a lot like Tim's. Most white trailers do.
dlee1967
Trailer deck is 6'6" wide and 10' long with an additional 2' of dovetail with a 4" drop. Frame is 2.5" square tube with .25" wall thinkness. The cross bars are 2.5" angle that is 3/8" thick. The axle is 3500 lbs rated with electric brakes. Ramps are 6" long and lock in under one side. The deck is plated with 14 gauge diamond plate and I added additional angle runners under the route that the tires take when loading the car. Total weight is about 1300 lbs. The heaviest car that I carry is my 914 V8. You must keep the total weight of a trailer in Texas under 4000 lbs to avoid titling it. I do have a VIN number now and registration, but no title needed. Saves a little cheese at least. The tires are 205-70-15 6 ply trailer tires with a lockable spare. Tongue is a 5000 lb Bulldog unit and a 2000 lb tongue jack. You will also notice a spot to store a floor jack (locked in place). Cost? The steel was free (thanks Gary) so my total outlay was only $650 including registration. It took two days to complete with my father-in-law helping on the chop saw. He didn't want to go shopping with the ladies, so he was captive labor.
dlee1967
How does it pull? Great....Local 914 support group members are welcome to call me for rescue missions.....
skline
Here is the trailer I use, it has a huge tool box on the front and a 914 fits perfect on it. I have hauled about 4 or 5 on this thing with no problems. In fact, this is the first 914 I bought when I got back into them about 5 years ago.
Mueller
only thing I don't like about those nice enclosed trailers is that they scream:

"break into me or better yet, steal me"

wish I had the space for one (and the cash for one would help as well, LOL)
Malmz
Yep, my old blue non-enclosed trailer was a perfect 914 trailer, just too small for the other toys and it's nice to store stuff in the new one...

20' Haulmark, electric brakes (sooooo nice after surge brakes all these years on boat trailers...) Torqflex axels (no leaf springs) for a smooth ride. Kinda heavy at 3000 lbs empty... max carring is 7000 lbs, but they make a 10k model too with just different axels.
EdwardBlume
Yeah Mueller... I've seen your trailer! You fix that positive camper issue?
MarkV
QUOTE(dlee1967 @ Jun 29 2004, 06:00 PM)
I spent quite some time browsing different posts of trailers used to transport 914s and finally decided to build my own. There only seemed to be a few single axle trailers with brakes shown on this board. I chose a single axle to keep the size down and make it easy to move by myself when it is not attached to the tow vehicle. I hope this thread serves as a means for others going through the same process a chance to see what others are doing without spending hours looking through posts with the word trailer. David Lee

Single axle trailer
Dual axle trailer
trailer brakes
914 trailer

Nice job David.

I like the small size, easy to store.

Got any photos with a car on it?
dlee1967
No pics with a car on it yet. I towed a barn find Bumble Bee to a new owner in Dallas last week and didn't take a snap. I'll take one in about a week when I move another 914 revival project from my warehouse to my garage. DLee
campbellcj
Here's mine - 16' 2002 Carson steel bed, tandem, electric brakes. It tows really nicely and is just barely light enough for one person to move around by hand if required.

The only problem is the paint used by the factory is crap. It will need to be repainted in a marine epoxy or something, as it is stored outside.
Gint
Scored this one at 2 years old for $1400. 18' 2k pounds. I try not to move it around without a truck unless I want some time off.
IPB Image
Malmz
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 29 2004, 07:03 PM)
The only problem is the paint used by the factory is crap. It will need to be repainted in a marine epoxy or something, as it is stored outside.

Chris,

Get it LineX'ed. I did that to my boat trailer. My stock paint sucked and rust started creaping through, so I stripped it and had it coated.

Bunch of pictures:
http://www.malmz.com/signatur/trailer/index.htm

sm
campbellcj
BTW I envy you guys who have trailer storage at home...the way our lot is shaped I can't fit mine anywhere but the driveway where it blocks garage access & looks like crap. So it costs me $70/month for a storage space.
redshift
Anyone have the picture I have been looking for... mayeb four hours now?

the 914 pulling a trailer.. heh

Didn't want to spoil it..

M
morph
i just got a new one.ill post a pic tomorow after i get my mother in laws freezer off of it.lol works great but i need to get a power wench for it.i usally am picking up non running cars with it by my self.only have had it a couple weeks and ive allready towed home several cars on it.
and red i have pulled a trailer hitch off a 914 laugh.gif i threw it away.
MJHanna
open trailer
MJHanna
frt view
MJHanna
current trailer in background
GaroldShaffer
You did a nice job on your trailer. One question, with it being a single axle do you need to tow the car backwards? Just wondering if you have enough tongue weight with teh car facing forward?

Your trailer is exactly the size that I'm looking for. Only other thing is I would want to be able to put wood side rails on when using to haul other things like landscape supplies (dirt, multch) and such.
dheinz
This is my rig.
dlee1967
Garold, I pull the 914 facing forwards. I calculated the center of gravity of my car (the heavy V8 one) and positioned the axle at what I thought would be the balance point with 75 lbs of tongue weight. As it turns out I have about 125 lbs as I was a little off on the calcs and I added the floor jack to the tongue. Well at least I was close..... The position of the axle was 7'4" from the front edge of the flat bed portion of the trailer. You could always weld on stake bed mounts on the sides of this type of trailer and insert the side rails only when needed. They are available at most trailer stores for about $1 each. David Lee
Mike T
Here's my trailer. It started out as an open center. Diamond plate was added to the upper portion but the beaver tail is still open. The triangular plate in the front center is for the winch. The winch gets it's power from the light plug. Pretty slick. cool.gif
Mike T
rear shot.
VegasRacer
This trailer had an open pit. Plywood was added to the center section. My favorite option is the extra long pull-out ramps. I will never own another trailer where you have to carry the ramps.
banderson
I was thinking of building one a while back. I would want the smallest 914 worthy trailer to double as a utility trailer. Single axle and brakes. I like the idea of surge brakes because they work on any tow vechical.

Are electric brakes better and how do you adjust them?
majkos
Elec.brakes are controled by an leveler on a elec.brake thingie(I don't know what they're called!) which is hooked up to the brakes via brake lights.This devise also has an adjustment on the side to control braking power,too much? turn it back,not enough? turn it up.I 'love these things 'cause if you're hauling as* and the trailer starts to swing,reach down and gently swing the leveler to slow the trailer before you brake your truck,no jack-knifing! Not that it happens to me,just heard too many horror stories.
joea9146
This is the brake box that I use for the electric brake setup.

Brake_Box
morph
scored some fuchs biggrin.gif but here is some photos its alittle dirty but its a work trailer,i bought it and the truck to tow 914s home.and ill be using it for a race car as well .me and my friends joke about it bieng the appearance & perfomance"drag truck" because i use it to drag home 914s laugh.gif
morph
another shot
jdogg
I am shopping trailers right now myself. What is everyone's opinion regarding a wood deck vs. diamond plate steel deck?
MJHanna
Wood rots... steel lasts longer if you keep it painted. scarie when you drive your car on a wood deck and it start to drop the car wacko.gif Steel is heavier and has more structural strenght.
GaroldShaffer
I am shopping trailers right now myself. What is everyone's opinion regarding a wood deck vs. diamond plate steel deck?

What is your plan for this trailer? Car hauler / utility trailer? I have a 6 x 8 Tilt bed utility that I used to haul the riding mower to the inlaws and for all the yard work crap. It has a wood deck and sits outside all year. After 6 yrs of use I will need to replace the wood deck this winter.

I would say a wood deck is fine for a once in the while car hauler as long as you keep the maintance up on it. If you are using it all the time I would then get one with a steel deck. I would really like to get myself one of those feather lite aluminum ones.
morph
the cost for my trailer new was only 1199.00 .
i shopped around the steel decks where alot more.the deck space is 7x14 plenty of room for a 914
tires and a tool box.but yes the wood decks do need to be replaced in time,but my dads back hoe trailer was a wood deck and was untreated and abused and it lasted 11 years.and it wasnt replaced due to the back hoe falling though it it just look like hell wink.gif
TimT
wood rots, steel rusts

wood is lighter, steel is heavier

a nice compromise is a steel deck trailer, but dont get one with a full steel deck. Get one with a split deck, its a bit lighter
URY914
Aluminum, Dude. The best of both worlds-light and rust free.
dlee1967
I went on a 914 rescue trip this weekend and was able to take a quick snap of a 914 on the new trailer. Tows well and stops great with the electric brakes.
majkos
Wow! That's just perfect! smilie_pokal.gif
At first it looked pretty small,but with the "right" car clap56.gif It works! wub.gif

What you do for ramps? huh.gif
Andy
QUOTE(jdogg @ Jul 2 2004, 06:36 AM)

Haven't personally done it but a number of my 4x4 friends use a trailer designed for wood decking and use that recycled "plastic" decking. It's light, relatively cheap, and still looks good after years of abuse.
airkewl
Here's my 19' Trailex, used mostly for the 911 vintage racer, but hauls the 914s and the Karmann Ghia as required. All aluminum, weighs about 1900 lbs with ramps, small tool bench, belly locker, winch, double side doors, awning and tire rack. Weighs about 2900 lbs ready to go racing, plus the car is another 2000; so about 5000 lbs all up.
airkewl
Another view:
majkos
Nice looking trailer! smilie_pokal.gif
What's the wheeli-bar set-up for? Ramps!? wink.gif
Dead Air
I use a tow dolly to pull the pig around. I'd show a picture if I didn't keep getting "server not found " page upon posting.
Dead Air
either the pictures are too big or I haven't posted enough replies .
dlee1967
The trailer is small, but perfectly sized for a 914. The ramps store behind the rear axle and slide in to a tray from the left side. I would have preferred those to slide in from the rear but I have drug that style on a few driveways and speed bumps in the past. They are just basic 1.5" grating (6' long by 12" wide) with angle iron welded on the front to hook on the lip in the back of the trailer. They nest on top of each other and then are secured by a lock. DLee
airkewl
To the question about my Trailex's wheelie bars: the 11' ramps stow under there, go in on a set of rollers and lock behind a plate. The wheels hang down from that assembly, and prevent the tail dragging in steep driveways etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.