Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaky fuel injector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Keith V
Hello All,
I started my car yesterday, and could smell gas. I discovered a leaky injector. I have extra new seals for each injector. Can you give me any advise for replaceing the seals?

Thank you.
Mueller
it's a fairly simple repair, just need a 10mm socket or open end wrench.....

inspect the fuel lines (all of them), the injector lines are known to fail (BTDT, luckly no fire)
Dave_Darling
For the most part, the injector seals are there to keep air from leaking into the manifold, not fuel from leaking out. Fuel leaks are more likely to be in the injector itself, either between the pintle cap and the metal body, or between the metal plug body and the other plastic bits. Or, as Mike points out, the short hoses between the manifold and the injector can leak. This is the most likely leak around the injector.

Some shops seem to be able to replace the pintle caps (they are available from certain parts sellers if you know where to look and how to ask), but for the most part the fix is to replace the leaking injector.

Try the seals, but be prepared that you might have to replace the whole injector.

--DD
Keith V
Hello Mike and Dave,
Thank you for the responses. You are probably right about the small and large O-ring seals I bought from Pelican Parts not correcting the problem. I also have a couple new injectors on hand, so I will replace everything at the same time.

Regards,
Keith
dmenche914
leaky injectors could be from the plastic to metal joint, if that is the case you need a new one. If however it is the rubber hose, that can be replaced. OEM injectors have a semi permanete crimped hose clamp. This crimp clamp can be carefully cut off with a hacksaw/tin snips and then the hose replaced (use high pressure injection rated hose only) use a screw on hose clamp to secure.

Hope the fix is the hose, it is a cheap repair.

PS be very careful when cutting the hose crimp clamp so as not to hold the plastic part in a vice, as the plastic part is fragile, and if torqued or otherwise upset, it may start to leak there.

good luck.

dave
Mueller
you can buy the "correct" pre-bent hose for the injectors from HPH...and possibly other shops.........I think a bench grinder works good for taking off the metal crimp, you still have to be careful.........
tracks914
Fuel leaking out of the injector, (into the engine compartment) is the internal O-rings leaking. They cannot be fixed. If they were left dry for some time they may only leak for a while until the rubber softens up, but I would replace the whole injector anyways. I just replaced 2 of them. Then do a leak test, into a test tube with all the injectors as described in this site and a crank test for calibration.
Fuel injection site
If not you risk running some cylinders too lean or too rick, or just have a constant leakdown diluting you oil.

Here is what an injector look like on the inside.
tracks914
Once taken apart you average man cannot put them back together.
Keith V
Thank you all for your help. I replaced the old injector and bent rubber fuel line with a new injector that had the fuel line attached with the metal fitting. The other three injectors in the car still have the bent rubber fuel lines. Which do you think is "Better"? Who is HPH, and where can I buy a replacement, and possibly four, new bent rubber fuel lines?
Regards to all that helped me. clap56.gif
smg914
The bent rubber line is the upgraded fuel line.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.