Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC 2005 #4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
Renting the track, as you might imagine, is a bit more expensive. And available tracks are in the desert, so no go during summer months.
skline
If we have a 3 or 4 day event, we could have one day just dedicated to a track day, then another day dedicated to taking over a local beach or park for a beach party BBQ or something like that. It would draw quite a bit of attention with the locals.
seanery
bump
GWN7
Wouldn't renting a track for our own use allow us more track time for each car?

and if we join another group, wouldn't the venue still be out in the desert? (hot no matter which way).....
seanery
as an FYI, I believe that the cost between the autocross and the track day is not huge. The track can supply insurance which allows us to have our own event. The venue in question (from what I've read and been told) is user friendly, and not a super high speed track.
Howard
Renting track allows us to have AX, skid pad, put on a driver's ed, and have real seat time. It doesn't cost much more, but does require work and planning. Everyone would have to pitch in.

The only track I have talked to so far, Willow Springs, has a low speed course (Streets of Willow). Lots of uphill and downhill turns in 2nd and 3rd gears. Faster than AX, but not scary. Best analogy is that 914/4's turn about the same lap times as 993's.

Think of it as a twisty road tour with no oncoming traffic or Highway Patrol. Run in groups of novice/touring, amateur, and Speed Racer so no getting run over. No passing except on straight, etc.

Biggest disadvantage is that summer temps similar to Saudi Arabia, so would need to be spring or fall.

Biggest advantage is your butt will get sore from having that much track time.
rick 918-S
Howard, Willow looks like a blast! boldblue.gif Any idea's who we can get to sell us event insurance? cool_shades.gif And how much of course... confused24.gif idea.gif lol3.gif
GWN7
after a 3000 mile drive there, I think my butt will be condishioned to some more extra long seat time...(insert padded sore butt smiley) biggrin.gif

Dosen't the track carry the insurance?

that track looks great smilie_pokal.gif
Howard
Details, details biggrin.gif

8am to 5pm
$2000 track rental
$ 667 $5mil event insurance (required)
$ 350 5 hours EMS/Rescue/Tow truck (required)
$3017 total

Bring as many cars and drivers as we want.
Monday thru Thursday. If Friday, they charge add'l $10 per car gate fee. Weekends are pretty well booked, and cost more anyway.

If 100 sign up for WCC 05, that's about $30 per entry, so like a dinner. With any luck we can get a sponsor to help.
Jeroen
I guess that's the big plus for AX, newbies would be easily convinced to try it.

A low speed course would be cool, since it won't scare newbies away and very little risc is involved.
Adding an AX and skidcourse to that would make it even better!

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
Those prices look very feasible!
IIRC this years AX was $35 (included in the reg.fee)

Go for it!!!

cheers,

Jeroen
Andyrew
A track event.. Hmm I voted for the auto x.. But, IF its 30 dollars more for a decent track day.. I would say yay! What are we talking? 100 cars on the track for a what 2 lap round no passing? Then afterwards a "Time trail" or ''DE" type event? Heck, I'll be 18 by then, so HECK YA!

admin, change my vote biggrin.gif

Andrew
seanery
Andrew, it wouldn't be $30 more. That's the thing, the autocross this year was $30 or $35. The fees were part of the registration. It would be the same this year.
Andyrew
Im conservative..

and Yes, I realised that.

Andrew
rick 918-S
I voted to combine our event with others as the 04 event was. But I would have no problem paying $ 50.00 for a track day event considering the cost involved traveling half way across the country. The local BMW Club rents Brainard International Raceway (BIR) here in MN twice a year. The event is $ 300.00 and it gets booked out.
PatW
Willow Springs looks like a good idea to me.. Skidpad and/or Auto-X, then on to the Big Track for some fun... All for around 30$ and some change. Sure I'll drive down there for that!. The desert down there is nice in early spring.

A Ducati club I used to run with got track time at Thunderhill with the nights hotel stay before as part of the package. Maybe?.

Pat
Trekkor
I'll go to that for $50. No problem.

Any chance of Sears?
Malmz
IMO, do whatever it takes to nail a date early yet do it in the Summer months (when kids, our younger members, and students are out of school).

Streets of Willow would be hot, but I think it is better to endure the heat and do it in the summer, or if the heat is too much of an issue, find an alternate and still have it in the summer.

Just my $.02.

sm
914werke
How about Thunder Hill? Portland Int.?
Pacific Raceway Park?
Spokane Raceway Park?
Brainard Would be sweet too! (FAST!)
Howard
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 30 2004, 06:27 PM)
Pacific Raceway Park?
Spokane Raceway Park?

Rich, careful. Making suggestions like that gets you 'nominated' to the board. Since 06 WCC will probably be in NW, I nominate you.

Just find a time and place that's not too hot, not too cold, and doesn't rain. It must have cheap meals/lodging, great bars, beautiful scenery and a racetrack nearby. Did I mention the dancing girls?
Demick
Streets of Willow for under $50 per car!

You're my new hero Howard!!! aktion035.gif

Demick
campbellcj
I can vouch for Streets of Willow being a ton of fun. We normally pay approx $100 to drive there with timing, full safety crew etc. NO comparison to the typical "1 lap and wait a half hour" autox setup. 15-20 minute lapping sessions so with 3 run groups you can get more sessions in a day than a lot of drivers or cars can stand.

The faster cars can get up over 100mph, although as Howard says it's not nearly as "scary" as Big Willow or the other large & fast tracks in terms of pucker factor.

The weather is a crap shoot and often sucks. That will be the case with just about any event type or venue.

I've never done Thunderhill and that might be worth checking into.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 30 2004, 07:27 PM)
Pacific Raceway Park?
Spokane Raceway Park?

Speaking of which...The best venues are booked years in advance...

Any possibility that the 06 PNW team could be setting up a venue NOW for WCC 06?
boxstr
Sure around the Baxters Historic car races. This was posted earlier. But moved back to 2006. And no it is not going to be the same time the Porsche parade is in Portland. Unless everyone (914world.com members) wants to join PCA and then attend there event.
CCLINWCC2006????????
JeffBowlsby
Sounds like fun CCL...you are in the drivers seat if'n you want it... biggrin.gif
drew365
Quick, vote before it's too late!
seanery
I ran the big track at Willow on July 4th in 99. It was about 110 that day. It's true what they say, "It's a dry heat". The problem with that is that you don't feel it taking it's toll, it hits you all at once and wham! it's too late. You have to keep hydrated early and often.

If you are prepared, the summer weather can be ok.
Howard
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 30 2004, 09:01 PM)
I ran the big track at Willow on July 4th in 99. It was about 110 that day. It's true what they say, "It's a dry heat". The problem with that is that you don't feel it taking it's toll, it hits you all at once and wham! it's too late. You have to keep hydrated early and often.

If you are prepared, the summer weather can be ok.

Dry Heat, my ass! A Blowtorch is dry heat and still hurts! Diehard racers (golfers, fishermen) will put up with just about anything, but I'm not sure how many of those we have.
Toast
I pretend and act like a Big Girl about taking the heat.
In reality, it takes its toll on me. I become overheated very easily, even with constant hydration. So, if I become silent, cranky, and looks like i'm going to pass out....then get me into some shade! wacko.gif
Jenny
this is exactly what the guys want, Toast. All of us women will swoon, and HOPEFULLY the guys will be close enough to catch us, or at least soften our fall. biggrin.gif

Jen
SLITS
Hey - at Willow you are

ON YOUR OWN

I suggest you bring a pillow to land on biggrin.gif
Toast
Jenny,
Yea, most of the guys that attended WCC looked like they had enough cushion to land softly on. ohmy.gif wink.gif
SLITS
bootyshake.gif It appears to me that you have sufficient padding to land on smoke.gif
Toast
For the ladies maybe. But wouldn't be able to handle the extra extra padding from the guys.
Jeroen
Howard, I like your scam!
Trackday AND hot women happy11.gif

And we still have a full year to work on our six-packs biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
GWN7
And we still have a full year to work on our six-packs

Something else to get to work on my car...... biggrin.gif

I prefer the oneab....easier to maintain and winters coming...time to bulk up cool.gif
Howard
I hope he was talking about beer, eh?
SLITS
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jul 1 2004, 01:16 PM)
Howard, I like your scam!
Trackday AND hot women happy11.gif

And we still have a full year to work on our six-packs biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen

Uhhhh - ya kinda got it wrong if it's Willow

It would be

HOT TRACKDAY

and wilted women. In that heat your "six packs" are gonna shrivel up. blowtorch.gif
skline
Well, if nothing else, the sense of humor is way high here. I think an event with everyone having a good time and laughing, will be something everyone will remember. Howard, I bow to pray.gif you in respect for your diligence and purserverence to find us a track to run our cars and have a great time. I dont care how warm it gets as I can drink a lot of fluids and we can bring some of the old fire extinguishers filled with water to hose the girls off when they look too dry. With it being warm adn all the women will be wearing less and that will add an appeal to most of the male members anyway, I know I would like it biggrin.gif

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
Jenny
Oh no! let's not forget sticky nauga hide seats. I'll either be wearing pants or my car will be wearing car seat covers.

Jen
SLITS
QUOTE(skline @ Jul 1 2004, 01:57 PM)
Well, if nothing else, the sense of humor is way high here. I think an event with everyone having a good time and laughing, will be something everyone will remember. Howard, I bow to pray.gif you in respect for your diligence and purserverence to find us a track to run our cars and have a great time. I dont care how warm it gets as I can drink a lot of fluids and we can bring some of the old fire extinguishers filled with water to hose the girls off when they look too dry. With it being warm adn all the women will be wearing less and that will add an appeal to most of the male members anyway, I know I would like it biggrin.gif

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

This I will guarantee - if it's 110+ you can't drink enough water/gatorade/powerade to stay cool and if you don't bring your own shade, there isn't any (or wasn't). Running around nude doesn't even help.

I hope the hell the wind isn't blowing either - you'll have one hell of a time seeing anything thru the sand/dust storm.

I've also been there when it was so effin cold, your feet/hands freeze and you're ready to set the car on fire for warmth.

That said, it is a wonderful track and fun to drive/race it. Just don't minimize the extremes that exist there. If you catch a good day, it is beautiful (if you like the desert).
914werke
Any possibility that the 06 PNW team could be setting up a venue NOW for WCC 06?

Is that true. Jeff have you ar any of the other team looked into PNW tracks for 05? SRP We run bikes on and is generally used for Drags. Its obviously off the beaten path and as such would imagine might still have reasonable dates available. Downside is its 5Hrs from real civilization! driving.gif sad.gif
The + side is its a GREAT track! and relitivley cheap.
If need be yes Ill step up and aid the effort.
What else have I got to do but travel the states, run and IT dept., raise two kids keep and 914 runing ect ect....waiter a little more Whine please cool.gif
DrifterJay
cmon...its not hot....if I go to Iraq in december...I will come back on RandR for the WCC 05....it will be coldl...!!! I vote track... fighting19.gif
bernbomb914
You might look into California Speedway also. I have attended several events that the porsche club put on and there was racing on the track plus there was another group AX in one of the parking lots, mostly ricers and they were going to have street drags that night. there is also Irwindale speed way to look into.

Bernie
Rusty
Bump... boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.