Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the good, the bad & the ugly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Joe Bob
Oh and ditch that Petronix....never liked those things.....put in some points and get a good cap.
Rusty
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 1 2004, 08:23 PM)
If there are any other comments, please don't hesitate to post. I did not comment right away as I was out of town on vaction and my brand new lap top took a dump the day I was to leave.

Z,

I knew this was your motor... but didn't post your name. I know you'd never sell a piece of crap - you have too much integrity. We all know that this will be made right - it's just frustrating for Andy.

Even the best deals can hit a few snags. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Otmar
Hey Ahndy,
Glad to hear you got a fresh motor.
Doing a alternator in the car really sucks!

Let me know if you want some wrenching help. I'm no expert on race 914 engines, but I can turn a wrench pretty well. I'd be happy to do what I can to get you running smooth and to up your HP so you go slower in the AX. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
some good news for a change ...
i won't be at the AX on Saturday, so trekkor doesn't have to worry about me spanking his a$$ biggrin.gif

no, that's not the good news, good news is that after dropping the engine and taking the tranny off we (or should i say bill) discovered that the quarts of oil on top of my engine did NOT come from a cracked case but rather from a shot seal behind the flywheel.
i lost about 2 quarts of oil on a 40 miles run (just cruising on the idle jets).
i don't have the little plastic covers for the holes behind the flywheel, so all that oil flung up and sat on top of my engine.
this should be a easy fix.

now back to the weird. with spark-plugs removed, cap off rotor and no flywheel/clutch/tranny attached, shouldn't it be fairly easy to turn the engine at the fan?
yes, i do have double-springs on the valves, but i can barely turn the engine over by hand.
in fact, bill had to hold it down while i was pulling, otherwise i would have pulled it off the table!
confused24.gif
also, every half or so revolution, there's a wierd noise (clunk) coming from the back, pass. side of the motor. (sounds like from inside).
valves were adjusted and all looks thight there, we had the valve covers off but could not see anything out of the ordinary. any ideas?

i'll be back and take some pics tomorrow morning,
Andy
Joe Bob
Do you want me to call the builder or do you? Probably best if I do.....sorry about that.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 15 2004, 07:44 PM)
Do you want me to call the builder or do you? Probably best if I do.....sorry about that.

thanks, that would be cool!!

ask him if he has any clue as to what's going on.
idea.gif Andy
campbellcj
I'm starting to wonder if it's some kind of jinx connected to me confused24.gif After all I was in close proximity to the PO of this motor the first TWO times it blew...and shortly thereafter I was IN (shotgun seat) of Tyson's 911 when it blew bigtime 911-style!

In each case I think the issue was seriously lean fueling and/or excessive advance, coupled with Big Willow conditions (i.e. HOT & WOT).

Good luck getting it sorted out; from what I know of that engine, it should scream once all the proper bits and settings are in place.
nine14cats
Hey Andy,

Keep at it....at least your working on the thing...I've slotted this saturday to do my motor drop.

I hope you're up and running soon!

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.