Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kit Carlson EMS II
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jake Raby
WOW guys!

all I can say is that this guy and his system that he has made FROM SCRATCH kick ass!

Dave showed up yesterday afternoon and every since we have all been amazed with what this system incorporates and his knowledge!

We got the engine fired up today and willpost some graphs tomorrow. we have a fuel pressure regulator problem right now but that will be remedied tomorow with a better regulator.

The test engine is a 3563 TIV "Super hero" and has 12 power pulls on it with carbs and a dizzy. Now all that has been replaced with dave's system, 45mm Jenvey throttle bodies, and the dizzy was tossed for a direct fire system that his EMS II incorporates.

His system is so simple, so easy to work with and it uses hyperterminal to communicate with the EMS.. Its so much easier than Autrnic or SDS and has less parts and confusion.

Look for this to be added as an option on all my engines very soon! I will be installing a version of it on the 912E very soon for some hard road miles, to continue our testing with it.

I don't like the stock FI system, but man... with this EMS all the crap is removed and nothing is left but clean, simple work..

The 2270 "Roller Motor" will also incorporate this system...

Get in line boys, this is the best thing since sliced bread! Hell the engine cranked on the 3rd revolution and purred like a kitten!

FYI- This is the FIRST aftermarket EFI system that I have had good things to say about.
Hawktel
Okay When you going to have a production kit?

And is it going to be bolt on?

And can I make it work on a 6?

cool.gif
Jake Raby
Don't have a clue about a six.... I make it a point to think that those things don't exist in my world.... Maybe Dave can make a system for it though..

He and I are working on a few kits that he can sell. The kit that I will sale will be set up for a TIV, and will be a 100% plugin and play system, and sold no other way.

I see having two kits, one will be for stock EFI engines, and will use all stock runners and plenum, the other will be for individual runners and mostly used on uprights..

Tomorrow will be a big day in history for his system as we will get the first comparative dyno numbers from it- yeah baby!
Qarl
Please post a picture.

I am excited.

I wanna 4 cylinder car now.... no room in the garage! mad.gif
seanery
is this a 2563 or 3563? Either one is huge, one is just huger.

What about using carb like throttle bodies, like TWM?
Qarl
What are you using for manifolds from the head to the throttle body?
MattR
I cant wait to see the dyno comparisons!!!

smilie_pokal.gif for jake! (again)
Mueller

that is what the 45mm Jenvey throttle bodies are, same idea, just a different brand (made in England I believe)
they mount just like carbs do (I wouldnt be surprised if you could use the same manifolds that webers or dells are mounted on)

looking forward to seeing some numbers on the dyno !!!!
guywan914
Jake, Glad to hear the system works so well. Can't wait to see the dyno results. Please forward price as soon as you have it. Guess you got my motor just in time.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 30 2004, 09:51 PM)

that is what the 45mm Jenvey throttle bodies are, same idea, just a different brand (made in England I believe)
they mount just like carbs do (I wouldnt be surprised if you could use the same manifolds that webers or dells are mounted on)

Standard IDF bolt pattern.
crash914
I for one...would like to see some pictures of the motor on the stand with the EMS plugged in...

mmm I just have a box of fuel injection throttle bodies sitting here from TVM, mounts to standard carb manifold....... smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Way to go with the state of the art....lets see those pulls....... aktion035.gif
Rog914
Glad to see you excited about a FI system. I can tell your excited when you start making typo errors. A 3563cc?LOL

After seeing Dave website I could see he was working hard to make his EMS an easy as possible plug & play with a "Keep It Simple" approch. Looks to be a very well thought out and complete upgrade FI system that the 914 world have been looking for a long time.

The SDS & other systems like it are good in there own way but, there's a new kid in town and I think he's going to take the VW aircooled world by storm. LOL

Jake, let the dyno day begin!

Ralph

74 2.0
JWest
Sweet! clap56.gif You have us all waiting with baited breath for more info - you big tease! biggrin.gif
william harris
clap56.gif Hot Damn - Raby's world has been invaded by the FI contingent. I happened to be on the phone with Jake discussing my future engine work when he fired this bad boy up. I am especially interested because I have made a hard and fast decision to stick with Fuel Injection and there's a new sheriff in town and is name is Kit Carlson. Can't wait to see the dyno runs. smilie_pokal.gif
Jake Raby
Oops, sorry for the Typo guys..... BUT my "project X" is a 3619cc TIV, so a 3563 is possible- don't laugh! mad.gif

I will get some pics of the system and some graphs as well. If any of the admin here can shrink the photos and post them I can email them anytime today.

Since this system is still a prototype the wire harnass is not professional looking yet. The finished product will definately be equipped with sealed harnass and rumor has it that a club member may be doing the harnasses up for Dave..

I absolutely cannot stand the stock FI system because it has too much junk that clutters it up, and its so finnicky about engine configuration. I don't particularly like any system that requires keeping the engines efficiency low just so it will function correctly with FI.

I am a junky for simplicity. A system has to be clean, neat, and simple enough that one of my customers can work with it without having to call and pester me everyday.. I have used SDS, Electromotive, Haltech and right now I'm using Autronic on my personal 3.0 engine- Dave's system spanks their pants off in simplicity and easability to tune-period.

Okay, gotta run. I'm waiting on Dave to get here and then its time to get some numbers!
Dominic
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 30 2004, 08:42 PM)

Jenvey TB's are some of the best available biggrin.gif , much better quality than TWM and leaps and bounds over CB performance. They even have seals on the shafts for those of you who want to go turbo. Yes, they are made in the UK and they are getting very pricey with the exchange rates these days. I have a set of 45mm Jenveys waiting on my project that I need to get going on. boldblue.gif E-mail me if you want some pics of these TB's.
Thanks,
Dominic
a356b@aol.com
Jake Raby
The Jenvey TBS are the best I have seen also... these were going on my 3.0 when i was going to make it smaller... Now I'll be using a set of 52mm Jenveys on the 3.0, with an Autronic system and my new heads.
Hi_Fi_Guy
As soon as a kit is ready for my 2270 (built by jake of course) I'll be first in line.

Imagine, actually being able to pass the Phoenix, AZ Smog test AND get all the other benefits of F.I.

Sign me up!

Thanks to KC and JR for all the hard work, I know many teeners will benefit from this.
Jake Raby
Sweet! We are getting data right now!
Andyrew
Sounds very cool! A carb guy gettin hooked on Fi!!!!!

Oh think of the possibilities!!! (aftermarket turbo.. supercharger... nitrous... water injection...)

Oh the joys!

Andrew
Jake Raby
My 2270 "Roller Motor" will be getting the set up as well.... Add my heads and a Turbo and thats good for around 500 ponies!
Andyrew
And thats.... 15k?

lol

500hp.. daily driver reliablility..

Someone with cash needs this combo biggrin.gif .

Cool though

Andrew
Jake Raby
Nope, not quite 15K when the heads get going...

I can make that kind of power with a 2316, with rollers, EFI, my heads and 12 PSi boost- I'm confident!
Andyrew
Hmm 12 sounds low, but im used to 944 turbo's lol

What can be done to allow the engine to run more boost? Lower compression pistons?

Oh ya, im a turbo guy.. I have a k26 on my desk just for looks.. lol

then a k27/ t3 in the garage.. and 2 more installed in the 944's... lol

I like boost!

andrew
KitCarlson
All,
I am enjoying it here at Jake's place. He many great toys, and an excellent staff. It is mind blowing seeing all the research and engine building going on.

This is the first EMS2 install on a large engine with IR throttle bodies. We learing as we go to develop the MAP sensing means by collecting vacuum signals from the runners.

The engine starts and runs well however it need gentle throttle opening at the moment. We hope to be power pull ready later this after noon.
SirAndy
alright, here are the pix! smilie_pokal.gif

i'll let jake describe what's going on ...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Qarl
I want I want I want I want I want I want I want....

No more garage space. fuck!

clap56.gif Looks great guys!
Jake Raby
Thanks for posting the pics Andy.....

Thats Brent working with Dave... I was busy taking the pics!
crash914
clap56.gif I just got off the phone with Jake....alll I can say is that sucker is LOUD!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Can't wait to see the dyno chart....should be interesting to compare carbs with EFI..

Way to go Jake!!!! clap56.gif clap56.gif
Andyrew
I was wondering why you wherent in the pics!

Why is there a cell phone in the pic with all the parts?

Oh ya, I like the TB's! Its STEALTH FI!!

lol

Whens the dyno run going to be done?

I want to see some comparative numbers!

Andrew
Jake Raby
We are doing the maps now....
william harris
Come on Jake we have been waiting all day. How much do you think we can take? biggrin.gif
KitCarlson
MAP sensing is A-OK. We are having fun now!

Just starting power pulls.

The Dyno room temperature is 120F the EMS temperature went to 147F with the oil cooler exhaust blowing it. A good temperature test for the unit.

Back for some more fun.
Andyrew
How do the fuel maps look?

You guys work slow.. gees wink.gif
KitCarlson
We have added the A/F meter now the egt.

We are starting to find More Power!
Jake Raby
DAMN!!!!!!

You guys are not going to believe these graphs!

They are on the way to Andy....

Dave has a slight program issue at 4700 RPM, so we just did a test from 1000-4500... Wait till you see this!

This is no bullshit, same exact ignition settings from yesterday! Its not even optimized yet!
SirAndy
carbs first ...

IPB Image
Jake Raby
Hey Andy.... you need the "graph fuel" tab from the EFI on the bottom..
SirAndy
and here's the EFI ...

IPB Image
SirAndy
spreadsheets can be downloaded here:

carbs:
http://www.914world.com/image/jake/Allen%2...3-2%20carbs.xls

EFI:
http://www.914world.com/image/jake/Allen%2...202563EMS-1.xls

burnout.gif Andy
Jake Raby
Thanks Andy!!
SirAndy
so, if i read the charts right, the EFI produced more HP and Torque and didn't even use a drop of gas!
smilie_pokal.gif

or why else is the yellow line at 0 ?
confused24.gif Andy
Jake Raby
Yep, its all just fine now...

Yesterday the air inlet temperature was 20 degrees hotter...

Other than that all the weather was almost the same... Even with the 20 degree difference the numbers are just amazing!

The engine runs so smooth and is so responsive to throttle changes, it idles like a dream too!

This engine is destined for a VW Bus so HP was not my goal... that 183 lb/ft of torque was! I hope to break 200 pounds of torque later!
Qarl
I just spooged on the keyboard....

unsure.gif
Andyrew
Well well well.

I think we have converted someone to EFI!

So.. Jake, going to be doing more EFI stuff now?

Very impressive graphs (yet I know there is more left) for all you guys that are working on this!

Andrew
Jake Raby
This is cool stuff... BUT I STILL hate Stock FI!
God would have a hard time convincing me that its worth a damn!

Cost me way too much money and too many late nights repairing its victims.
Andyrew
Not talkin bout stock FI...

but will you be using this type of EFI on your larger engines? Seing this result, I think you should consider it.. but hey, im just a little guy biggrin.gif

Andrew
Jake Raby
I'm thinking about making this standard on ALL my engines... Carbs are over a thousand bucks now..
Andyrew
Yay! More affordable, more hp, more tp, more efficient, more reliable.

What more can you ASK for?

biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
BUT, if it breaks call the tow truck... No rigging up on the side of the road!

I love to be able to rig things up if they break...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.