Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wires to cut in a 75 from under the passenger seat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
It is my understanding the everything that goes to the relay under the seat is not needed. The only wire to worry about is the big yellow wire. Is my understanding correct? I want to rid myself of all unwanted wires.
PeeGreen 914
Oh, and where is the best place to cut them? confused24.gif
Cap'n Krusty
It would probably be easier for us to answer you if the picture actually showed the wiring of which you are speaking. Unless, of course, you mean the bundle running through the tunnel ...............................

The Cap'n
jt914-6
On my '74 I connected the large yellow ones together. There is a small guage black with red stripe that is hot with the key. You'll need to "cap" off the end so it doesn't touch ground. The rest can be cut wherever you wish. On my '75 I put a off/on switch in the back of the center storage tray (hidden by the pad) and attached the yellow ones to it. Turn the switch off when not driving it and the car can't be started.
PeeGreen 914
You need to see pictures of the wires to know what wires go to the relay under the passenger seat of a 75?

Well then.... it is the bundle I have zip tied together in this picture.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 2 2011, 04:15 PM) *

On my '74 I connected the large yellow ones together. There is a small guage black with red stripe that is hot with the key. You'll need to "cap" off the end so it doesn't touch ground. The rest can be cut wherever you wish.

Awesome, that is what I was told and thought but I wanted to double check before I begin. Thanks. beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
Splice the big yellow wire to the big yellow wire. Leave the others in place, unless you are really desperate to get rid of little tiny bits of weight.

In which case you should look at wires that are already crimped together at the terminal under the seat. Crimp those wires together closer to the main wiring harness.

Cover all crimps with shrink-tubing. Unless you never get water or dirt inside your 914... rolleyes.gif

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Aug 2 2011, 04:16 PM) *

You need to see pictures of the wires to know what wires go to the relay under the passenger seat of a 75?

Well then.... it is the bundle I have zip tied together in this picture.

I merely wished to point out that a picture purporting to show the parts in question should actually show those parts. BTW, there are a lot of '75s out there that don't even have those wires or the logic relay itself.

The Cap'n
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 2 2011, 04:19 PM) *

Splice the big yellow wire to the big yellow wire. Leave the others in place, unless you are really desperate to get rid of little tiny bits of weight.

In which case you should look at wires that are already crimped together at the terminal under the seat. Crimp those wires together closer to the main wiring harness.

Cover all crimps with shrink-tubing. Unless you never get water or dirt inside your 914... rolleyes.gif

--DD

agree.gif

If you just cut and cap them and not connect them together you will loose your Clock, Seatbelt Warning Light, Oil Pressure Switch, Oil Pressure Indicator Light, Key Warning Buzzer, Both Door Switches, Interior Light, Brake Warning Switch ect............ blink.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 2 2011, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 2 2011, 04:19 PM) *

--DD

agree.gif

If you just cut and cap them and not connect them together you will loose your Clock, Seatbelt Warning Light, Oil Pressure Switch, Oil Pressure Indicator Light, Key Warning Buzzer, Both Door Switches, Interior Light, Brake Warning Switch ect............ blink.gif

Well, I'm not too worried about losing those things. This is an autocross car.
Jeffs9146
Well, I'm not too worried about losing those things. This is an autocross car.

Ohhhhhhhh you didn't tell us that before!! confused24.gif

By all means Cut Away!! beer.gif
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 2 2011, 06:50 PM) *

Not to hijack, Jon..

but can someone(Jeff) descibe the wire colors mentioned above. I assume the Color Wiring Chart will be my friend. Is that PP?? I have that bundle of wire and everything appears to have been hacked off. I have mysterious trouble with some of the above mentioned items. Possible ground issues too..

I hate electrical.....thats why I have not tackled this project yet
PeeGreen 914
Hijack away Ken beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
Yes, Pelican has the full-color wiring diagram for the 74.

--DD
Jeffs9146
Yes PP has it for the 74 but it is hard to read! I have the Red Manuals for the 75 and the color diagrams on one large 4 foot page so it is a bit easier! I will try to help where I can! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.