Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Terminal 1, 4, and 15 on the coil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
So im taking my car back to fuel injection and im going to bypass the relay board. Ive been looking in my haynes manual at the wiring diagram and the coil shows three terminals. My newest coil has a + and - sign on it with double post terminals. What ive gathered so far and just want to make sure im close or maybe correct in reading the diagram.

Terminal 1 would be the (-) side of the coil because the tach signal wire comes off that post(blk/purple wire) as well as a green wire that goes to the distributor which i think would be the condenser wire.

Off of terminal 4 comes a black wire that also goes to the distributor. What wire is this and where does it attach to the distributor?

Lastly, where is terminal 15 on the coil? The diagram points to the back of the coil, but there isn't anything there. May be a stupid question but i have no idea what terminal 15 is

A little info, my car has been completely rewired by myself not using a stock wiring harness. I wired up the ignition using the simple ignition circuit shown by lapuwali. Here is how my ignition circuit is wired up, the starter switch in the picture, is actually a relay.

Click to view attachment
70_914
15 is the power from the ignition switch. + side of coil
1 is the reference from the distributor. - side of coil

4 I have no clue... need to check my book.

I am sure others will chime in, and I am going off memory (I have a 4 year old and a 7 month old, not enough sleep for good memory...)
benalishhero
Like Kevin said

15=+
1=-
perhaps 4 is the coil wire to the cap?
type47
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...lectric_74E.jpg

Looks to me that the coil in in/on tracks 84-90. Terminal 4 is the coil to the distributor cap.
Cap'n Krusty
By German standards, conventional ignition coils are designated (1) for the negative side, (15) for the positive side, and the "coil wire" for the actual spark is (4). Bosch coils have the (1) and (15) embossed right on the top of the coil. Your tachometer wire will be connected to (1), as well. The entire key on power circuit for the ignition and many other functions is called (15).

The Cap'n
turnaround89
Awesome, thanks everyone. The actually spark plug wire from the coil to dizzy didn't even occur to me that that is what the wire would be. You guys helped solve a major problem i had. Thanks everyone so much
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.