Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 911 Ugly Duckling Build thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Scott S
I thought I saw a much bigger modification! Based on this pic, I thought you scored a set of 911R 7" rears. The shadow makes them look deeeeeeeep.

Love this project! Ever find anything stuffed in the rockers??

(shhhhhhh shades.gif )
hwgunner
QUOTE(Scott S @ Feb 3 2012, 01:41 PM) *

I thought I saw a much bigger modification! Based on this pic, I thought you scored a set of 911R 7" rears. The shadow makes them look deeeeeeeep.

Love this project! Ever find anything stuffed in the rockers??

(shhhhhhh shades.gif )

Nothing in the rockers unfortunately. And the wheels are Deep sixes all the way around. They are not going to stay on the car though as i have a set of custom 17's in the works. the mod is nearer the front of the car on the front fender. beerchug.gif
burton73
I had a brown 73S and a Green 70S. These are not the cars but the same colors. I loved the cars but it cost so much to fix them. My rebuild on my 73S was $5,000 in parts and machine work. I did all the wrenching. After 500 miles the car was stolen for me. the AAA only paid me $11,000. That was the going price for a 73S in 1978. That was in 1978.

When my car was stolen I thought my world had ended.

BobClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
hwgunner
QUOTE(RickS @ Feb 3 2012, 01:26 PM) *

I take it all back and more. May you spawn 8more thumbs, walk on your knuckles, and still have one helluva car.

8 more thumbs?? Dang, I already got 6 according to mark. Didn't mean to come off like a snob, I just have never had anyone accuse me of being able to put things back together. I really wish I could learn but i am not sure I have the patience. (I am sure mark will pipe in about that too!)

Love the look of your car in the back. that looks like the original color of my car. That is the color i am leaning towards but may go with one of the ugly yellow/brown/orange colors above. beer.gif
hwgunner
Well it's been slow work but we are getting there. Seems like body work will never be done but my guy Bill says we are getting close now. Here are a few pictures.

First one is an overall. Got the front and rear bumpers bolted up loosely. Rear bumpers are steel and i purchased them as real RS steel bumpers but it turns out the flair at the end was done with mud. No worries though as Bill will be able to contour them for me. Yes, I have decided to flair the car with RS flairs.
Click to view attachment

A couple more of the rear bumpers. Final fit will happen after I get the flairs installed.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here is how the front bumper is going. Hard to tell because it is black primer now but there are no holes, everything is filled.
Click to view attachment

More of the front bumper
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here is a pick of the custom work done on the front drivers fender.
Click to view attachment

Should have the gas tank back Friday. Will post pics when I get it.

jonathan
hwgunner
AZ914
Looks great! Keep it up!
hwgunner
Got the gas tank early.
TurbOH Brad
As they say...THIS THREAD IS RELEVANT TO MY INTERESTS!

Thank you. very cool.
hwgunner
Hint, hint!!

Click to view attachment
markb
Nice job on the tank! The wheels look good too.

I still say you're going to need to leave it flat black.... smile.gif Maybe with red pinstriping to match the rear seats..... stirthepot.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(markb @ Feb 23 2012, 03:32 PM) *

Nice job on the tank! The wheels look good too.

I still say you're going to need to leave it flat black.... smile.gif Maybe with red pinstriping to match the rear seats..... stirthepot.gif

I got those seats to match your car!! KMA.gif
euro911
Looking good, Jonathan beer.gif

Since we're talking 911s here, thought you'd enjoy this article on early 911s that Bob sent to the 'Early 911-232 Registry' guys:

"Hello all,

CAR magazine dug out the first review of the 911 [from 1965] and republished it. It is here:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Community/Car...er-Porsche-911/

Enjoy

Bob Fleming"

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
hwgunner
Wheels have been started.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
KaptKaos
Flat like this?

IPB Image

Here's links to it on the Bird Board and BaT too:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-car...ed-hot-rod.html

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/11/30/satin-...-style-hot-rod/
hwgunner
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Mar 1 2012, 08:05 PM) *

Absolutely! That car is one of the cars that inspires me to keep going. I love the little touches and the big ones too. I could only hope to end up with something half as cool. The blue I am thinking of is much darker though. Not so dark that it turns black in the shade but dark.

jonathan beerchug.gif
Socalandy
WOW, awsome work
hwgunner
Nothin' like progress.

Getting the front and rear R light buckets installed. They are going to be smoothed into the front and rear fenders.

Here is the front
Click to view attachment

And the rear
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
markb
thumb3d.gif
euro911
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Mar 2 2012, 01:00 PM) *
... Here is the front ...
Click to view attachment
Can you see if the M-Y is stamped somewhere inside the bucket?
hwgunner
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 2 2012, 06:04 PM) *

I will try and remember to look on Monday.

jonathan
hwgunner
euro911
I will try to remember to remind you blink.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 2 2012, 07:25 PM) *

I will try to remember to remind you blink.gif

Email sent to self on this one. beerchug.gif
hwgunner
Here is a pic of one wheel almost finished.

Click to view attachment
hwgunner
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 2 2012, 06:04 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I looked with my good glasses and a flashlight and did not see anything in the buckets. Sorry.

jonathan
euro911
Thanks for looking, Jonathan.
hwgunner
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 5 2012, 07:38 PM) *

Thanks for looking, Jonathan.

No problem. Have you tried over a the early S reg. those guys would know for sure. I am a member if you are not and i could go and ask. In fact, I will go do it now.

jonathan
hwgunner
Getting closer on the front and rear housings. Here are some shots. I have concluded that I am going to have to leave it black for now also.

McMark
That's coooooooooooooool! clap23.gif
wingnut86
Niceeeee.
hwgunner
The next part that Bill is working on is going to be tough. He is going to have to make the 2 openings look the same. They are off a little and so he will be busy doing that for a few hours. We may get to some suspension tomorrow. we will see. It might be just mock up to make sure we have everything. beerchug.gif
hwgunner
So I have made some progress over the last couple weeks. Got the coil over suspension installed front and rear along with new bearings and rotors in the front. Rear bearings and rotors are next. Here are a couple shots of the car. The first is the day I got here and the second is after the suspension install.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
euro911
BIG difference smile.gif

popcorn[1].gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 25 2012, 11:23 AM) *

BIG difference smile.gif

popcorn[1].gif

When ever I get frustrated with progress I look at that first photo.

jonathan
sixnotfour
Lookin Good Jonathan
PeeGreen 914
Nice smile.gif
9fourteen
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Mar 2 2012, 12:52 AM) *

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Mar 1 2012, 08:05 PM) *

Absolutely! That car is one of the cars that inspires me to keep going. I love the little touches and the big ones too. I could only hope to end up with something half as cool. The blue I am thinking of is much darker though. Not so dark that it turns black in the shade but dark.

jonathan beerchug.gif

The color combinations you are considering are killer. I would call the colors "drab". They have kind of a dulled out look to them beyond being just a flat paint. I also like the look with the all black wheels. Awesome work. Can't wait to see it painted and finished up.
hwgunner
Just a little progress. 17x7.5+ 3 piece Fuchs and a 69 911S engine lid. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
markb
Nice!

Looks like a little more work for Bill to match the paint.... biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
Looking good, who did those 17" 3-piece wheels? Great period look with the ability to run modern rubber!
hwgunner
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jun 9 2012, 03:44 PM) *

Looking good, who did those 17" 3-piece wheels? Great period look with the ability to run modern rubber!

Wjeels were dome by Clint at Rebel Racing. I painted the centers black with Wurth Trim Semi Gloss. i am going to anodize the centers once the car has been on the road for a while.

jonathan
hwgunner
hwgunner
Very little progress lately but definitely some blunders on my part. Got the aluminum trailing arms on with the emergency brake stuff. Got the stubs from EASY and waiting on the hubs from Bruce Stone. Here is a little update pic.

jonathan
hwgunner
euro911
YOU'D BETTER KEEP THIS ONE WHEN YOU'RE DONE! popcorn[1].gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 4 2012, 03:41 PM) *

That is my plan. My 7 year old has already laid claim to it. He says his oldest brother gets it till his middle brother get to be 16 and then he gets it when he is 16 and since he does not have a younger brother it is his to keep. piratenanner.gif
markb

agree.gif av-943.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(markb @ Sep 4 2012, 05:21 PM) *

agree.gif av-943.gif

Are you laughing because you think it will never be done?? smash.gif
hwgunner
Just got the COA! Any one know what "Comfort Equipment" is??
Sparkysounddog
Seats?
hwgunner
I have a set of early 911 Turbo seats for her. They are a bit worn but comfortable.

Hwgunner
hwgunner
Here is a little picture update. Got the steering wheel and the lower dash done. Also more of the lights.
hwgunner
one more
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.