Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 911 Ugly Duckling Build thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
hwgunner
I guess I will start from the very beginning. I have always wanted a 69-73 911. For some reason they have always been the Holy Grail. I got a 74 911 several years ago. It was nice; 3.0L engine, sport seats, real RS flares in the back. Just not what I really wanted so it was sold. Since then I have gone thru several projects, including a car or 2 after I purchased the 911 that this thread is dedicated to. This car started with a simple ad by Brad at 914Ltd for a 73 911T non-sunroof roller with minmal rust for a rediculously low price. I basically looked at this pic
Click to view attachment
and told him I would take it. I looked at several other pictures after agreeing to buy it and we made arrangements for payment. Then I got a Cuban Mafia trucker all set up to pick up the car and we were off.

Here are a couple of the pictures I saw before the car was shipped.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Well, we were off untill the car and the truck haulling it headed west from East Peaoria, Il and passed Chicago. It is at this point that the trucker, making his first stop for a bite to eat, was "surounded" by the Chicago DEA and had his rig and all the cars on the trailer tempirarily confiscated. (There is a thread about what happened so I will make this short.) The "money" dog allerted on my car and a new truck. Both vehicles were removed from the trailer and "dismantled and searched" right up to the point that the lead agent told the owner of the shop that was doing the dismanteling to cut my car in half. The shop owner said he looked at the lead agent and basically said "I am a car guy and I am not cutting a classic Porsche in half! There is no way there is $,$$$,$$$ stuffed into those rockers". The car was then quickly put back together as best they could (they stuffed everything in the trunk and passenger area) and the trucker sent on his way.

Here is what the car looked like on the day it arrived.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Tomorrow I will document a bit of the desruction. sawzall-smiley.gif ar15.gif smash.gif
porsche_dreamer
Any updates?
hwgunner
Ya, I am at Disneyland!
hwgunner
Shortly after the car arrived Mark and I set about taking everythgn out of the car that was toast or junk or I didn't think we were going to need in the end. We confirmed a few rust spots that we knew were there and fond a few that de did not know about. Here are a couple pics.
hwgunner
Here are a couple piles of parts that were taken out. As you can see some of them were slightly damaged when the DEA searched the car.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Could have been worse I guess, they could have cut it in half to check the longs for $100's.
hwgunner
Found another pic from when it showed up.
hwgunner
The car sat around for a while until I decided to have the rear seats, cowel and rear package shelf rid of the rust that was there. Mark and I took the car down even further removing all the windows, front, back and sides, taking off the front fenders to get a look at them and removing most everything else. At this point the car went down to SWW914, a member here, to have the work done. The rear seats were replaced first and then covered with POR-15 (silver) after being rustmorted. The rear package shelf was next and Steve did the best he could with limited access to the very very very very back corners. After that the cowl was done. This was obviously the hardest part because the parts in the front window channel had to be made and they have compoud curves with in compound curves. Very tough spot to get it done nicely. Last I had the tower reinforcements from Rebel Racing Products add to the top of the towers in the back.

Will ad these photos as soon as I find them. beerchug.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(porsche_dreamer @ Aug 8 2011, 09:37 AM) *

Any updates?

Sorry about that. Working from a phone and it seemed right at the time. beerchug.gif
porsche_dreamer
Its cool, I was on vacation with the wife, and I was using her blackberry in efforts to get my fix
hwgunner
So, it has been too busy at work and home to do much but order new parts and spend money. That said, here are a few pics of the new seat pans in the back, the package shelf and the work done on the cowl.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mark and I have been looking at the front window seal and the window and I have determined that I need to have the cowl fixed again. The angle of the window area to the pinch weld is just to flat and the window seal will never lay down. I have a deal working for a new cowl and A-pillars and the body shop across the street is going to put it in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
hwgunner
Went and picked up the motor a few weeks ago also. 2.7L in good shape with the oil fed tensioners installed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Motor is getting a bunch of stuff replaced "while im in there" like the intake boot which was cracked badly, fuel lines and spark plug wires. I am cleaning everything else and going to test the alternator also. all rubber and cloth hoses will also be replaced.

Click to view attachment

hwgunner
Here are a couple pictures of part of the stack of parts going into this thing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Not pictured are a 915 with a Factory LSD and the wheels which are 7.5x17 and will fit under stock fenders.
hwgunner
Also have a Corbeau vintage looking seat on the way. It should be here in about a week. Once the cowl area is taken care of, I am hoping for about 2 weeks from now, I will start puting things back together. Windows will be first and I need to make the interior usable also. The guy that is installing the motor and trans and getting it going down the road will be ready for me mid to late October. He has to finish rebuilding, for maintinance sake, his 4 cam Carrera motor and get ready for some show before he can do my car.
EdwardBlume
Nice work so far. welder.gif

I love when parts suppliers build cars... the best of everything... w00t.gif

Take note - these are usually the cars you want to buy when they move on... idea.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 1 2011, 05:54 AM) *

Nice work so far. welder.gif

I love when parts suppliers build cars... the best of everything... w00t.gif

Take note - these are usually the cars you want to buy when they move on... idea.gif

My six year old wanted me to build this car. She isn't going anywhere.
AZ914
Hey Jonathan,
You probably have stuff already, but I have engine tin and the mount piece (not the bar) off of my 3.2 that you are welcome to if you need it (and if it works on the 2.7)
Zimms
looks great!
hwgunner
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Sep 1 2011, 08:40 AM) *

Hey Jonathan,
You probably have stuff already, but I have engine tin and the mount piece (not the bar) off of my 3.2 that you are welcome to if you need it (and if it works on the 2.7)

Thanks jason, have that stuff though. Appreciate the offer.

jonathan
hwgunner
hwgunner
No real progress today but did get the deal going on this today.

Click to view attachment

It will be delivered to a friend early next week and then to me on Saturday or Sunday and then off the to the body shop the next monday or tuesday.

nsr-jamie
Wow! Nice parts stash!! I see you have been stalking up biggrin.gif

That looks to be a big project and I wish you luck with it. I hope you make regular updates with lots of pics as I love these kind of threads.

Cheers
hwgunner
I will definitely be updating as much as I can but I have to admit I am not doing any other body work or paint. It is definitely going to be an ugly duckling.

jonathan
hwgunner beerchug.gif
markb
I'm thinking it may be more of a DEA reject, rather than approved. smile.gif
Derek Seymour
I'm good with Krylon BBQ paint, looks good and it is durable. Can I come up and paint?
hwgunner
Will Mr. Sizemore be joining you?? beerchug.gif
hwgunner
OK, here is a little bit of progress. New cowl going in. Delivered the car this morning and they said it should be done on Wednesday. Can't wait. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Rolando is going to have to make one piece. You can see the hole that he had to cut out.

Click to view attachment
This is the side that he was NOT working on. This is not fitted yet and still looks great.
Bleyseng
You should just run with it like that, forget welding it! Bolts and screws and JBWeld.
jaxdream
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 10 2011, 01:32 PM) *

You should just run with it like that, forget welding it! Bolts and screws and JBWeld.

Nope , sillycone . It just says that you want to prevent leaks , of all kinds.

Should be a nice ( 911 ) car.
( can we say that number on here ????? )

Jack
wingnut86
You guys are wasting time. Slap some Tiger Hair fiberglass filler on there with a wad of silly putty behind it for flexibility biggrin.gif
pnewman
I am biting my nails waiting for an update!!!!

The progress looks great! beerchug.gif

I know that with your previous momentum that you couldn't have possibly taken a break.
hwgunner
QUOTE(pnewman @ Nov 28 2011, 06:12 PM) *

I am biting my nails waiting for an update!!!!

The progress looks great! beerchug.gif

I know that with your previous momentum that you couldn't have possibly taken a break.

Thanks, I needed that. I will get some more pictures tomorrow. Not much else has been done but I am having a friend start preping the window areas for paint on Wednesday. After that i am going to call my mechanic, who was going to call me when he was ready and hasn't, and see what is up. At that point either he will give me a firm date and i will give him the $$ or i will have to work on a second plan of attack. The reason i am being patcient with the guy i want to use is he can do everything i want done. I don't have to haul the car from the headliner guy to the window guy to another mechanic to the interior guy to the suspension guy etc, etc, etc.

We will see.

jonathan
hwgunner beer3.gif
krazykonrad
icon_bump.gif

popcorn[1].gif
hwgunner
OK, working on getting the window areas preped for paint. Bill is a friend who works mostly on English cars. I told him this car doesn't have elecrical isues so he agreed to work on it.

My mechanic is now saying he will be ready after the first of the year so i may just have bill keep going and then toss a Maco paint job on it in a flat color. We will see.
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif Looking good!
hwgunner
OK, I think I am going to change the color. Going to do the interior in black with an RS carpet kit. Headliner will be black or grey felt.

I need to decide on the exterior color. Flat color and old race car quality. When i see a blemish I want to be able to remind myself that the paint job was not meant to be beautiful and did not cost me $10,000+.

I like the green on the car now but was thinking about a blue or a burnt red also. W#hat do you all think. I must admit there is a car on Pelican right now that is for sale that has become my inspiration. it is blue.

jonathan
hwgunner beerchug.gif
hwgunner
Looking for colors and here are a couple that are possibilities. I really want a flat color remember so these are just close. Any other suggestions??
stuttgart46
I'm a sucker for Mexico Blue on those early 911's.
Love the project and where it's headed.
JMKnight
wavey.gif
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Dec 1 2011, 10:39 PM) *

Looking for colors and here are a couple that are possibilities. I really want a flat color remember so these are just close. Any other suggestions??

drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

IPB Image
nsr-jamie
I agree!! Go green
FourBlades

Go for blue!

Love this build.

It will be hard to resist making the car cosmetically as nice as you can.

And who is to say there is anything wrong with that?

John
hwgunner
Work is moving on. Here are a couple update pictures. These are from 2 different days.

jonathan
hwgunner

Day 1
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Day 2
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
hwgunner
Little more progress on the body over the last week. Got new front fenders that, besides a few dents are rust free. I can't believe it myself. Working on the inside also. beerchug.gif

jonathan
hwgunner
porsche_dreamer
Any more progress lately?
hwgunner
Still hitting the body work hard. Keep coming up with more things to do. Here are a couple update pics.

This is just an overview shot. You should be able to see the biggest mod in this picture.
Click to view attachment

These next 2 show the great job bill has done on the rear fenders.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here is the bumper in the works.
Click to view attachment

Here is the fuel tank that we just set in there. Has primer on the bottom but needs it on the top. need to make a mod to this for a 100mm short little filler. that will be done in the next couple weeks, I hope.
Click to view attachment

rear panel is ready to paint basically.
Click to view attachment

Here is the one rear bumper that i had. Looked a little funny once on the car and here is what we found. A full 3/8's if bondo built up in a weird spot. Needless to say, I am looking for a good pair of right and left 1969-1973 bumpers
Click to view attachment

A few more custom touches coming if i do not have to sell it first. Let me know what you think.
wingnut86
Vedy nice biggrin.gif
RickS
You certainly are not a man who shys from a challange. Excellent work on the body. Wish I had half your skill. Keep posting your progress. You will love your car when it is done.

Here is a pic of my 73 to give you a little incentive

Click to view attachment

markb
Ha ha haaaa! You think he's actually doing the work himself? av-943.gif

Sorry, was that my out loud voice? rolleyes.gif

Jonathan is a great guy, and does a fine job of taking (tearing) things apart, but has......um....issues..... when it comes to putting them back together.

Bill Hunny (not really sure if this is truly his real name or a nom-de-plume) is actually doing the body work. beer.gif

Jonathan is the happy11.gif mastermind of the project.
hwgunner
I never said I was doing any of the work. Quite frankly mark is right, iam good at taking things apart but generally could not put them back together for the last jelly donut on earth. It is fun to give orders though.

How do you all think the modification of that steel drivers fender looks??
RickS
I take it all back and more. May you spawn 8more thumbs, walk on your knuckles, and still have one helluva car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.