Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Temps and how long to get there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
Okay with average street driving around town with a little hwy driving...How long should it take for the oil to reach normal operating temp? I drive for 20 mins and it doesn't seem to come off 120F?? headbang.gif
I figure 220F is normal.

Cheers beer3.gif
Kerry
SirAndy
195F - 205F would be optimal, 220 is a bit high already, 240 is HOT.

what gauge and sender are you running?
i tried my 911 gauge with the stock TV sender and got similar results. never got over 150F. guess it's time for a new sending unit ...

Andy
Kerrys914
I bought a new VDO gage and sender (to match) so I was told. headbang.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Va914 @ Jul 1 2004, 01:43 PM)
I bought a new VDO gage and sender (to match) so I was told. headbang.gif

stupid question, but ...

do you have numbers on your gauge?
Andy
Rusty
I had a similar problem in my 74 2.0. Are you using the upgraded (slightly smaller, numbered) VDO gauge in the center console?

When I installed mine, I was getting some power to the gauge/sender, but the gauge just didn't work. I bought a second new gauge/sender set - same problem. But the OLD guage worked!

I played with this FOREVER until I started looking at the connector on the new gauge. The wire positions aren't the same on the new gauge. The connector will fit, but wires are in the wrong place. I pulled the old connector apart, put the wires right on the temp gauge - voila!

Hope this helps,
Rusty smoke.gif
Kerrys914
Hummmm ohmy.gif

(+) is a fused constant 12v
(-) ground
(S) Is the wire to the sender

I think when I change the oil next I will pull the sender and see if I can run some tests on it.

Cheers and thanks guys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.