Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Batery relocation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I am thinking of relocating my battery to the rear trunk. I think that if i do so, it may interefere with the targa beeing stored in the trunk. I have seen it done here but I am not sure if the targa still fits there, or what dimension the battery should be for proper clearance.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(ppetion @ Aug 5 2011, 11:17 AM) *

I am thinking of relocating my battery to the rear trunk. I think that if i do so, it may interefere with the targa beeing stored in the trunk. I have seen it done here but I am not sure if the targa still fits there, or what dimension the battery should be for proper clearance.

All the ones I have looked at that have been relocated had no issue. I think most of them tried to center it just above the crossmember.
stugray
I was thinking of cutting a hole in the rear trunk and recessing a battery box into the floor.

I just want to wait until I decide where I will mount the oil cooler before cutting a hole.

This is for a racecar, so I dont mind cutting the hole, and getting the weight as low as possible is of some help.

Stu
SirAndy
QUOTE(ppetion @ Aug 5 2011, 11:17 AM) *
I am thinking of relocating my battery to the rear trunk.
Why? confused24.gif

If you are going to relocate it, IMHO put it as *low* in the car as possible ...
stirthepot.gif

Put it in the passenger footwell, against the front firewall. That's as low as you can get, plus it offsets the weight nicely to the center and right.
Then put a nice box around it and it can double as a passenger foot-rest.
beerchug.gif
brant
these cars are rear heavy.
all weight needs to be moved forward to improve handling

moving it backwards and higher is the exact opposite of what should be done.
76-914
Has Porsche ever published a datum point on these cars?
EdwardBlume
I've done it. It fits fine. Keep it on the pass side to keep things balanced.
914itis
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 5 2011, 04:26 PM) *

I've done it. It fits fine. Keep it on the pass side to keep things balanced.

I am just curious, What's so heavy on the driver's side that would make it unbalanced? I am guessing the alternator?
Rand
QUOTE(ppetion @ Aug 5 2011, 01:54 PM) *

I am just curious, What's so heavy on the driver's side that would make it unbalanced? I am guessing the alternator?

The driver. poke.gif
914itis
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 5 2011, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Aug 5 2011, 01:54 PM) *

The driver. poke.gif

o....k, I was thinking about that I have a passenger 80% of the times.

was the 914 made to ride alone?
PeeGreen 914
Well, I'm not sure how they weight balanced these cars like they did but there are places that will benefit from adding weight and removing weight. I am moving my battery right behind my passenger seat as I am using a small light Odyessy. The well prepared 914's I have seen have the battery where the gas tank was on the passenger side (they are running ful cells). Passenger or not...go low.
914itis
One of my main concern is that everytime I attemp to move it on my existing teener, I worry about scraping the paint, it's so tight in there to get it in and out. With my new project, I didn't want to worry about that.
Andyrew
Why are you moving your battery so often?

I have an optima battery and put in a new one every 5 years or more.

Thats the only time I move the battery.
r_towle
someone here was making mechanics bibs that covered the fenders and rear trunk.
I cant remember who, but do a search and see if they are still making them.

Rich
smontanaro
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 5 2011, 05:50 PM) *

someone here was making mechanics bibs that covered the fenders and rear trunk.
I cant remember who, but do a search and see if they are still making them.

Rich

Garold's mom. Dunno if she still makes them. If not, Garold might still have a small stash...

S
EdwardBlume
I moved the battery on a former street / ax car that I had the HH repaired on. I figured it would be cleaner just to cut the tray out and call it a day.

Balancing weight is kind of a misnomer... you can adjust a 914's suspension for the weight of the driver, but its not the best on tires if you are shaving 1/8s off your daily commute....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.