Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head temp sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cambo
Do you have to remove the intake runners to remove/install the cylinder head temp sensor? It seems a little tight to get in there. 75 1.8 FI
76-914
I did not on a 2.0 DJet. Can't speak to a 1.8 LJet. Remember that it is at a small angle to the head when reinstalling one.
rhodyguy
if you sacrifice the appropritate deep well socket with a grinder slice up the side you can get the wire out of your way. clean the sharp edges on the slice.

k
underthetire
Soak that sucker in PB blaster for a day or two before you try and remove it. They can and will pull the threads right out of the head if they have been in a while.
rhodyguy
try a 1/4" drive socket.
RFoulds
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 5 2011, 12:55 PM) *

Soak that sucker in PB blaster for a day or two before you try and remove it. They can and will pull the threads right out of the head if they have been in a while.

this is a MUST do, because once you break it off, the only way its coming out is dropping the engine..
Cambo
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 5 2011, 01:01 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 5 2011, 12:55 PM) *

this is a MUST do, because once you break it off, the only way its coming out is dropping the engine..

Yikes! Thats good to know!
r_towle
if you are removing the one that it in there...just cut the wire.
Deep socket on the new one, tuck all the wire up into the socket.

RIch
swl
QUOTE(Cambo @ Aug 5 2011, 11:45 AM) *

Do you have to remove the intake runners to remove/install the cylinder head temp sensor? It seems a little tight to get in there. 75 1.8 FI

same issue with the 1.7 engine. Unless it is going in on an angle it looks like the drive wouldn't get past the runner. I've only had an intial look at it - haven't tried to get it out yet. Let me know how it works out for you.
luskesq
You don't need to remove the runner on a 1.7. I like Rich's approach with jamming the wire into the deep socket. I took a slightly different approach. To a China (cheap) made 3/8th extension and cut a vertical groove up one corner, wide enough for the lead to fit into. Feed the wire up through your socket and attach the extension. You can hand onto the wire so it doesn't fall out of the socket. I used a bit of hot glue on the gasket so it wouldn't fall off also.

Keith
914_teener
QUOTE(luskesq @ Aug 5 2011, 09:07 PM) *

You don't need to remove the runner on a 1.7. I like Rich's approach with jamming the wire into the deep socket. I took a slightly different approach. To a China (cheap) made 3/8th extension and cut a vertical groove up one corner, wide enough for the lead to fit into. Feed the wire up through your socket and attach the extension. You can hand onto the wire so it doesn't fall out of the socket. I used a bit of hot glue on the gasket so it wouldn't fall off also.

Keith

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.