Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Woohoo!!!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Finally!!!!!!

I get the yellow beast back tomorrow. The painted tub will arrive on a rolling stand (minus suspension, doors and hoods).
Qarl
Oh... and can someone advise me on the proper order to reinstall the front suspension.

I am thinking...

1. Front cross member and steering rack first.
2. A-Arms next.
3. Front strut assembly next
4. Then attach A-arms to bottom of strut
5. Hook up Tierods
6. Adjust torsion bars...
7. Attach swaybars to a-arms.

Sound about right?
Jeroen
Cool! Post a shitload of pics!

Install the swaybar before you install the struts, but other than that, I think you have the right sequence...

cheers,

Jeroen
Pnambic
Doug Leggins just went through it. It oughta be fresh in his mind.

Don't forget the pictures tomorrow!!!
ein 6er
carl,

if you need any help with the reassembly, i'm free on sundays.
Doug Leggins
Yep, just did this a couple of weeks ago. I installed the the sway bar and mounting flanges first. Then followed the same sequence that you have listed. Worked fine for me.

It was a real thrill putting something back together!!!

Looking forward to seeing pics!
Korijo
laugh.gif
Qarl
1st one. That's one of the lids on top, not the targa top. Targa top is original black texture.
Qarl
2nd -

Still awaiting final coat and buff...
JFJ914
QUOTE(kellzey @ Jul 2 2004, 02:05 PM)
Oh... and can someone advise me on the proper order to reinstall the front suspension.

I am thinking...

1. Front cross member and steering rack first.
2. A-Arms next.
3. Front strut assembly next
4. Then attach A-arms to bottom of strut
5. Hook up Tierods
6. Adjust torsion bars...
7. Attach swaybars to a-arms.

Sound about right?

The A Arms go into the crossmember before you bolt it to the car. Same bolt goes through both.
Doug Leggins
Putting the A-arms on the cross member first will work but will give a few more pieces to hold and control while bolting everything together.

I chose to bolt the crossmember on with 3 bolts leaving out 1 of the bolts that go through the A-arm. That way my son and I did not have the additional weight and moving parts to contend with (with Mueller's bearings on the a-arms they wanted to swing right down - no sticktion!!!). After the first A-arm was installed we removed the bolt that went through the other a-arm location, installed the a-arm and then re-installed the bolt. Seemed to work well for us.

Thought about my installation sequence a little more. I put the steering rack and crossmember asm on first, then installed the sway bar and mounting flanges. Otherwise the sway bar would have been in the way of the steering shaft.

BTW- If your steering shaft is on the rack, you will need the steering shaft bearing and grommet that goes through the bulkhead to be on the steering shaft when you install it. If this link works - it shows the bearing and grommet. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=13121&hl=used
Qarl
It's already one piece...

IPB Image
Doug Leggins
You're all set!

It sure is good to see others going through these extensive rebuilds! Pretty amazing that there are several (5+?) complete rebuilds that I can easily think of going on right now.
redshift
You are stupid! You don't need that! rolleyes.gif

You are going to get a ticket.

I can't think of anything else, I hate you!

M
iamchappy
Keep count on how many times you use the f word while trying to assemble with out scratching or nicking something. Maybe the whole thing should be bubble wrapped.
Congratulations Karl on a car thats gonna be really, really, really, well done. pray.gif
boxstr
Be sure they give you a big can of Touch Up paint, and don't worry about chips and paint scrapes no one will notice in places that you about to go.
Hey take a pic of that slammed Fuchs wheeled Thing next to your car.
CCLINSOMEASSEMBLYREQUIRED
redshift
Karl... not worry about scratches... yeah.. RIGHT!

Guys, that car won't have one scratch, and it will be sooooooo awesome! Karl *IS* Captain Meticulous!!!

welder.gif

He's also a know beer drinker...

drunk.gif

So... confused24.gif Karl, you need to paint the car again, after you get it together.

Let us know how the disassembly goes.

smile.gif

M
Joe Bob
Looks good....guess that means I have to get off of my butt and ship them stripes...... <_<
rick 918-S
aktion035.gif boldblue.gif aktion035.gif boldblue.gif aktion035.gif clap56.gif boldblue.gif aktion035.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif boldblue.gif clap56.gif
maf914
Qarl,

That sure is pretty. So clean looking. Does the finish need to be sanded or polished?

Is the underside painted? If so, how did the shop do it? On stands?
Qarl
The car was originally on a rotisserie to be painted, then transfered to this special stand later afterwards.

The stand is kinda cool. It has four metal rods that slip up into the donuts on the jacking plates. Between the stand and the chassis are 4 very hard rubber disks to protect the body from the stand.

The body was treated by the guys who media blasted it. IT was plasted with a special media that is a little more friendly to the metal than sand. Then primered.

Then sanded and primered again. The painted with a strike coat, blocked/sanded. Then painted and wetsanded and buffed.

Underside is painted, yes. underside didn't go through the entire final process as it has too many nooks and crannies and we didn't feel it was necessary. It was just primered and painted.
Bleyseng
What about the interior? How was that painted as I see that its masked off.

'bout effin time you got off your butt and got that car painted!

Geoff wink.gif
Qarl
Yes... the interior is being done in hot pink suede!

finger.gif
Gint
It's looking pretty good Karl. Base/clear, single stage, brand, etc...?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.