Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More 'new' engine goodies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
After cleaning up my '79 3.0 big port engine I decided to dress up some of the parts and make it look halfway respectable. So, I bead blasted the fan and housing, then took the valve covers, air cleaner bases and rain hats down to the local poweder coater for final prep and coating. The work was done at Ajax's in Van Nuys.

After speaking with the owner I decided to accept his suggestion to use 'outgas' black coating in light of the fact the fan and housing are cast magnesium. He explained this coating fires at as lower temperature which reduces the likelihood of having contaminant and other porosity related issues develop.

I think the results are excellent and he did a good job masking the parts from over spray.

Here is the engine before:

IPB Image

The coated fan:

IPB Image

the housing:

IPB Image

Rain hats:

IPB Image

lower valve covers:

IPB Image

upper covers:

IPB Image

as you can see I masked them and filed the coating of the letters "PORSCHE"

IPB Image

The finished product:

IPB Image

Overall I'm very pleased. Now to get it re-assembled and into the car....

piratenanner.gif
Randal
QUOTE(moparrob @ Aug 6 2011, 04:21 PM) *

After cleaning up my '79 3.0 big port engine I decided to dress up some of the parts and make it look halfway respectable. So, I bead blasted the fan and housing, then took the valve covers, air cleaner bases and rain hats down to the local poweder coater for final prep and coating. The work was done at Ajax's in Van Nuys.

After speaking with the owner I decided to accept his suggestion to use 'outgas' black coating in light of the fact the fan and housing are cast magnesium. He explained this coating fires at as lower temperature which reduces the likelihood of having contaminant and other porosity related issues develop.

I think the results are excellent and he did a good job masking the parts from over spray.

Here is the engine before:

IPB Image

The coated fan:

IPB Image

the housing:

IPB Image

Rain hats:

IPB Image

lower valve covers:

IPB Image

upper covers:

IPB Image

as you can see I masked them and filed the coating of the letters "PORSCHE"

IPB Image

The finished product:

IPB Image

Overall I'm very pleased. Now to get it re-assembled and into the car....

piratenanner.gif

Nice work on the powder coating. Engine is going to look beautiful. dry.gif
patssle
Before you fully assemble everything, check that the fan will still spin. I had mine powdercoated and it was too thick, the blades rubbed against the housing. I had to sand down the edges.
moparrob
Absolutely correct. the powder coater told me the exact same thing due to the close tolerances.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.