Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 100% Gas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
A gas station in town just started carrying 100% Gas (No 10% Ethanol).

I filled up with the 100% gas and my 1.7 Teener runs much better! I know when our Teeners were made there was no such thing as 10% Ethanol. In fact, we had Leaded Gas!

I am sure there are more educated people than me that can shed a light on why my Teener runs better on 100% Gas.

mepstein
I doubt I'm more educated but there is more energy stored in gas than alcohol.
Niklas
Hello!

Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

If you use etanol you will get more power but with higher mpg.

Niklas
underthetire
Actually, I believe it's less power and lower mpg. We run e85 in our work cars, when we fill up with regular e10, there is a noticeable difference in power and mileage.
Woody
QUOTE(Niklas @ Aug 7 2011, 11:20 AM) *

Hello!

Check this out:

Niklas

Unfortunately ethanol has caused more problems than anything else.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Niklas @ Aug 7 2011, 12:20 PM) *
Hello!

Check this out:

Niklas
confused24.gif
From wikipedia:
"E85 has less energy content than conventional gasoline; 30% percent less energy for transportation by volume"

driving.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(Niklas @ Aug 7 2011, 09:20 AM) *

Hello!

Check this out:

Not per se. Gasoline has a higher specific heat value than alcohol, I.E. more thermal energy per pound. However it is less stable than alcohol, and more likely to detonate. That's where the 'extra power' in E85 comes from; the ability to run higher head pressures and control them. Be it with more boost, or higher mechanical compression. But if your engine doesn't run those higher head pressures, and isn't tuned for the burn characteristics of alcohol, then it'll do no good whatsoever. The long and the short of it is, run whatever your engine is tuned for, and it will run at it's most efficient level. Same reason you don't run "premium" in a car that only calls for regular.
As an aside, that's why this 'flex fuel' idea is complete crap. If you run E85 in an engine that's meant for gasoline, you will make less power and probably get worse mileage. If you run pure gasoline in an engine that's truly mapped for E85 (Hard to find, except at the track) you'll probably hurt it. Pick a fuel, map the car for that, and leave it alone.
Mark D.
Mike Bellis
E85 is great for turbo applications. You will need bigger injectors but the end result is a cooler burn which allows for higher boost pressures. But you do use more fuel to reach the same HP number.

I don't think we will ever see 100% gas on the Left Coast ever again... sad.gif
swl
Spent the last half hour doing some reading.
Ethanol blended fuels can run at higher compression. If the engine is set up for it you can get more power.

Putting it in an normal engine though you won't be able to take advantage of the extra power potential.

You lose about 3-4% mpg (E10) as a result of the lower heat density.

One government paper had a small tidbit in it about the air fuel ratio being higher because of this lower density. Reading between the lines that suggests that when you put e10 in a car you are effectively leaning it out. Maybe that is the effect that JawjaPorsche is seeing? His engine is running a lttle richer.

Ethanol can be nasty with older fuel systems particularly carbs. Issues with water and some rubbers. Probably best to stay away from it. In my neck of the woods most (all?) premium pumps aren't labelled with the ethanol warning so we have a ready supply of E0 gas.
Niklas
Hello!

E10 is not the same as E85.
We have a Volvo C30 that we run on E85.
We got more power but the mpg is not so good.
We have to service the car every 10000 km instead of 30000 km.
The price mpg is lower with E85 than gasoline ( in sweden )

Niklas
Lou W
We have "ethonal free" gas here in Oregon, costs a bit more.
ezbngreen914
I drive 45 min one way to get ethonal free gas. I seems to make a big differance. I love real gas! piratenanner.gif
cwpeden
Dont forget this is wikipedia....I know a guy who knows a girl who has a website that says this......

I'd like to see one vehicle, all gases, one dyno. blowtorch.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(Niklas @ Aug 7 2011, 10:38 AM) *

Hello!

Niklas

E85 at the pump here, if you can find it, is the same price as e10. I would also assume your Volvo is turbo? That would explain a performance increase.
ezbngreen914
Good website:

pure-gas.org
swl
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Aug 7 2011, 10:33 AM) *

Dont forget this is wikipedia....I know a guy who knows a girl who has a website that says this......

Always a good point but lots of solid citations on this article.

I'd like to see one vehicle, all gases, one dyno.

yes please! Several formal fuel economy trials but I didn't find any formal tests of performance.

two tests - E0 then E10 without touching the car
Then repeat the E10 with tuning to bring the AFR down to the same as the E0 run.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 7 2011, 09:47 AM) *

I don't think we will ever see 100% gas on the Left Coast ever again... sad.gif

QUOTE(Lou W @ Aug 7 2011, 10:53 AM) *

We have "ethonal free" gas here in Oregon, costs a bit more.

We have had "Clear Gas" for several years here in Southern Oregon. It was "only" for off road use for awhile. Was used primarily by small engine owners (chain saws, boats, snow mobiles, snow throwers, Lawn mowers and ATV's) due to always having their equipment (carbs) being all gummed up after a few months of storage. About a year or two ago they allowed it to be used in cars. The station I go too, before it was legal would let me fill the Teener up as long as as I would pull the car in at an angle so no one could see due to the hood being up. I also had to fill up a gas can due to someone walking by, he would switch from the car to the can and then back to the car. The cost is about a quarter more than Premium but the Teener runs alot better!
Niklas
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 7 2011, 08:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Niklas @ Aug 7 2011, 10:38 AM) *

Hello!

Niklas

E85 at the pump here, if you can find it, is the same price as e10. I would also assume your Volvo is turbo? That would explain a performance increase.

No Turbo just real power.

Niklas
poorsche914
I found a local station that advertises 100% gasoline. Will be fueling my 914 there piratenanner.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Aug 7 2011, 11:33 AM) *

Actually, Wikipedia has had a pretty good screening process for content for quite a while now.
shades.gif
Ductech
This is kinda funny cause once i get a turbo on my subaru motor I wanted to try running some e85 if its cheaper than e10
SUNAB914
Burn our food, drive prices up, less gas milage and poorer running. Not to mention long term effects on motors and accessories. How much energy does it take to convert corn into fuel? Add it up.
TMZ is an actual fact sight also. haha
GeorgeRud
The best advice I could give is - if you have real 100% gasoline available in your area, buy it and use it in your 914. Even if you have to pay a premium, please use it! That's what the 914 engine was designed for and will run best on.

Here in Chicagoland, we have no choice but to run the ethanol laced stuff, and any mechanic will tell you the problems it's causing with older engines and small engines (lawnmowers, etc.). It also goes bad within a couple of months, so it's tough to store a collector car over the winter with a full tank. I have been using Stabil for years, but I'm not sure what is the best choice anymore as the gas does go bad regardless of what stabilizers you use.

Gotta love the EPA and Government weenies that are going to save us from ourselves. Even though I own farmland and grow corn, I'd rather eat the corn than use it to manufacture ethanol for fuel!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.