Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! 1975 2.0 914 won't start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lingcuisine
Was running fine earlier today. After good cleaning mostly the interior of car will not start. Turn the key and all that happens is fuel pump runs nothing else. No clicking no humming nothing. Battery is charged. All wires appear to be attached properly. Any help would be great. Thanks Jeff
poorsche914
If you are getting nothing from the starter, check to be sure the yellow wire to the solenoid has not been pulled loose.

driving.gif
Lingcuisine
Solenoid on side of starter correct? This is my first 914. Will probably have several dumb questions!!!
914Mels
If you have the seat belt interlock relay under the passenger seat cushion, check the wires to it. If so you can jump the two big wires and bypass it to check if that system is the problem.
p914
If the car got warmed up and it's a hot day you may have had the same issue I did.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=139079

Make sure you clean the battery terminal connections and grounds.

Mine's a 75 2.0 bored to a 2.7
poorsche914
QUOTE(Lingcuisine @ Aug 7 2011, 09:38 PM) *

Solenoid on side of starter correct? This is my first 914. Will probably have several dumb questions!!!

Correct.

Oh... welcome.png
Lingcuisine
What gounds need to be checked? Where is the transmission strap?? There appears to be a positive and negative wire coming off same pole??? Is that correct? Yellow wire is connected. Could there be something under either seat that could have been disconnected.
thanks Jeff
Lingcuisine
What grounds
Tom
Main ground for the engine is from the rear of the transmission to the underside of the trunk. Remove and wire brush strap contacts and area where the strap comes into cantact with the trunk. Also remove and clean the battery connections and the negative battery cable connection to the body.
Tom
pt_700
you have much to learn, young apprentice...

no worry, we were all there at some point.

transmission ground strap is hard to see, up above the muffler at the rear of the trans. if it's original, it's a flat braided copper affair, similar to the other one from battery negative to the body.

i recently replaced both on my '71 1.7 with generic ground wires from FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store).
Lingcuisine
Thanks for the help. I will do these clean ups after work. I have had several 911's (currentiy have 1988 Targa). This 914 is a different beast!!! Much to learn
Lingcuisine
Found tranny ground strap. Is there a trick to disconnecting from transmission or do I need to remove muffler and muffler bracket?
jcd914
QUOTE(Lingcuisine @ Aug 8 2011, 11:17 AM) *

<snip>
Could there be something under either seat that could have been disconnected.
<snip>

The seat belt interlock relay is under the passenger seat.
Many people bypass it by splicing or jumping the 2 large yellow wires together.

Jim
Tom
If you have some jumper cables, you could provide a temporary ground for the engine by using one of the cables and hooking from the battery negative to the engine case. It would eliminate the strap as the problem. If it works after hooking up the jumper, strap is bad. If no work, there is something more wrong.
Tom
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 8 2011, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Lingcuisine @ Aug 8 2011, 11:17 AM) *

<snip>
Could there be something under either seat that could have been disconnected.
<snip>

The seat belt interlock relay is under the passenger seat.
Many people bypass it by splicing or jumping the 2 large yellow wires together.

Jim

2 Replies on this. You clean the interior and it won't crank? Remove the passenger seat and short the Yellow wires. This is the most likely your problem. Seat belt interlock does this function. Do you have something heavy in the passenger seat?
pt_700
i was able to remove / replace the trans ground strap w/o removing the muffler. not sure what kind of muffler i have, not stock i'm sure. it's kind of a blind operation though. it's right up there at the top rear of the tranny.

little hands (or, at least not huge ones...) help!
poorsche914
Here is a picture showing how to bypass the seatbelt relay:

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
Lingcuisine
Pulled starter and had it check. Works fine. Should be fun trying to reinstall!!! What problems should I look for under passenger seat wiring. I believe may have disturbed some of this wiring while cleaning. There was a brown wire and yellow wire connected to two yellow wire with a male and female plug. That was pulled apart while cleaning very corroded could this cause my problem?
Lingcuisine
Did not read above post before posting my last post sorry
Lingcuisine
She is alive again. It was the seat belt relay. Bypassed and she run great!!
Thanks for all the help
ripper911
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.