Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headlight switch wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raw1298
Can any one tell me what color wires go where?
SLITS
56K - Grey
56 - red w/white trace & black w/blue trace
57 - white w/ green trace
58L - grey w/black trace
58R - grey w/ red trace
15 - red & red w/white trace
30 - red
30B - green w/black trace
58a - black w/blue trace
58b - black w/blue trace
K - grey

From '74 wiring diagram ... good luck
raw1298
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 9 2011, 04:22 PM) *

56K - Grey
56 - red w/white trace & black w/blue trace
57 - white w/ green trace
58L - grey w/black trace
58R - grey w/ red trace
15 - red & red w/white trace
30 - red
30B - green w/black trace
58a - black w/blue trace
58b - black w/blue trace
K - grey

From '74 wiring diagram ... good luck

Thanks! I just found a picture of someones notebook with a diagram doing the search. Page 13. I found many other diagrams along the way that were helpful too. Your explanation is much clearer than the picture I found. Thanks again, back to the garage.
Cap'n Krusty
I'll try REAL hard not to be too Krusty here. Whatever happened to looking at a wiring diagram? For years, no DECADES, we've done that, and it works!

The Cap'n
raw1298
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 9 2011, 05:30 PM) *

I'll try REAL hard not to be too Krusty here. Whatever happened to looking at a wiring diagram? For years, no DECADES, we've done that, and it works!

The Cap'n

If I knew how to read a diagram, I would not have asked the question. Some of us are talented in other areas. dry.gif
76-914
QUOTE(raw1298 @ Aug 9 2011, 06:03 PM) *

The Cap'n

If I knew how to read a diagram, I would not have asked the question. Some of us are talented in other areas. dry.gif

poke.gif Well, if you own a 914 your going to have to learn. Otherwise, sell the car or be prepared to shell out everytime there is an electrical problem. The Cap'n is a grouchy old fart but he is right about this. So put your learning cap on and start asking questions. ps most people here didn't know shit from apple butter about auto electrical before coming here. beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
Got a follow up question to the headlight switch wiring: Which terminal/&lights are activated when the knob is pulled out at the first stop, then the second stop ?

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(raw1298 @ Aug 9 2011, 06:03 PM) *

The Cap'n

The factory diagrams, available on the Pelican Parts website, have the numbered terminals matched up with colored drawings of the wiring. Even easier than a written description!

The Cap'n
SLITS
Well Jimmy ... ya gotta think about it ...

What comes on on your car when you pull to the first stop? Side lights, tail lights, gauge lights (can't remember if the headlight pop up) ... match the colors

At the second stop .. you would also get headlights (& maybe the pop up) ... match the colors.

All of this with the key on.

I don't remember if anything comes on with the key off.

Alternatively, use a VOM and check continuity between pin 30 (hot) and the rest of the tabs. 58A & B are going to be the rheostat that dims/brightens the dash lights.

I might actually have to go to my car and find out, but it's a long walk to the garage.
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 9 2011, 08:30 PM) *

The Cap'n

Why,
It was asked and answered.
Those diagrams on Pelican are not so easy to figure out....specially the headlight switch.

Rich
jim_hoyland
Thanks Ron, that gets me started in the direction I want to go. I want to modify the switching such that the first stop ( pull of the knob ) only activates the 4 corner lights. The gauge lights, license plate lights, and red rear tailight will come on with the second stop along with the headlights
r_towle
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 10 2011, 04:39 PM) *

Thanks Ron, that gets me started in the direction I want to go. I want to modify the switching such that the first stop ( pull of the knob ) only activates the 4 corner lights. The gauge lights, license plate lights, and red rear tailight will come on with the second stop along with the headlights

I would suggest that you consider using relays and get the main wiring out of that switch....they melt.

Rich
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 10 2011, 01:48 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 10 2011, 04:39 PM) *

I would suggest that you consider using relays and get the main wiring out of that switch....they melt.

Rich

agree.gif That will be my next step
SLITS
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 10 2011, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 9 2011, 08:30 PM) *

The Cap'n

Why,
It was asked and answered.
Those diagrams on Pelican are not so easy to figure out....specially the headlight switch.

Rich

Take a deep breath Rich ... John's just pissed that I can still read lol-2.gif
jim_hoyland
Note: Diagram of the late switch may be in error. I just seperated a late switch from a loom with the wires attached and did continuity tests.

It appears that 58L and 15 are reversed in position from the pictures posted. 58L still has the two grey w/blk trace wires and 15 has a thick red and a smaller red w/white trace.
rhodyguy
Link to chaos fix. This is classic stuff. Very funny.
SO.O.C914er
That’s the SLITS!! lol-2.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
SO.O.C914er
That’s the SLITS!! lol-2.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.