Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with a 911
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sofi2t81
Hello there,

A little bit of topic but I need some help on a 911.

I decided a while ago to ad a 911 to my 914 to fill the container when I’m going home to Germany biggrin.gif

I looked at a 83 911 SC 3.0l at the weekend and I need some help.
The car has 107,000 mls and was never restored. As fa as I could see it's rust and wreck free. First paint with chips at the hood and the bumper. Some dents, new brakes, clutch, starter, and service in the last 3,00 mls.(all with receipts)

The owner drove it 6,000 mls since 2004 and he has not much technical knowledge (nice guy, older, not in a hurry to sell the car.)

Overall a real honest car.

The only thing I saw at the car is the following:
There is a little bit of oil, let me say sweat, at the parting line of the crankcase and the right cylinder head gasket. The gasket oil could come from the oil filler above.
What I'm not able to judge is the oil sweat at the parting line. If there is a leak I assume fixing will end in a full rebuild of the engine. (If it’s open once….)
There was no oil drops at the engine or oil at the floor. My idea would be to clean the areas with break cleaner drive the car to a workshop (either Porsche shop or at free shop) and check again. The seller is fine with that.
Does that work? Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks Peter
Daiberl
Just did the same, bought a 1983 SC and plan to take it together with the 914 back with me to Germany once the day comes (but no plans yet) smile.gif I would take the car as is to an independent Porsche shop and would use the outcome for price discussions. I don't think that cleaning the engine first helps with a good diagnosis. If you don;t know a good independent in your area you might check on the pelicanparts forum in the 911 technical section, they give usually very good advise.

Gruesse aus Seattle,
- Juergen
rfuerst911sc
I wouldn't be too worried about a little weeping at the case seam line. It sounds like the car has sat too long without being used. I do agree a PPI is worth the money spent so you really know what's going on with the car. There may be other items that are a deal breaker but weeping oil wouldn't be for me. By the way I have a 83SC coupe and love the car. Good luck.
dlestep
...the oil on the case could easily be just the o-ring on the oil thermostat, when viewing the engine from the rear, it will be just right of center toward the front of the engine, [which is closer to the firewall.]
You also could replace the gaskets on the upper and lower covers.
sofi2t81
thanks for the comments,

I already asked the seller about a PPI and he agreed.
you are also right with the usage. Since 2004 het put only 6,000 mls on the car.

Peter
sofi2t81
I looked at the car on the lift. Some oil which seems to come from the sensor at the left. (oil pressure?) and some gearbox leak from the front where I think is a paper gesket.
The comment from the mechanic was this is one of the dryer ones.
The car wasn't driven in the past. I think tis could be an issue.
Does the leaks get better when you drive it more?

One other thing I havn't seen before was a sort of yellow "bondo" on the crankcase. Does anybody knows what that is and if this is usual.

Click to view attachment

Thanks for your comment.

Peter
sixnotfour
Yup typical , there is a steel tube cast into the case and it can leak, no worries there. Usaually it is the mag cases, someone wanted to take no chance, But it seems to be an after thought. With goo being o the cylinder tin ?
Porscheman912
QUOTE(sofi2t81 @ Aug 17 2011, 07:18 PM) *

I looked at the car on the lift. Some oil which seems to come from the sensor at the left. (oil pressure?) and some gearbox leak from the front where I think is a paper gesket.
The comment from the mechanic was this is one of the dryer ones.
The car wasn't driven in the past. I think tis could be an issue.
Does the leaks get better when you drive it more?

One other thing I havn't seen before was a sort of yellow "bondo" on the crankcase. Does anybody knows what that is and if this is usual.

Click to view attachment

Thanks for your comment.

Peter

That almost looks like a strange case repair. Here is the big deal, take the car to a shop that works on these to have it inspected. They may not find everything, but it helps to have the car checked out first. I have an engine that a shop had checked, and the first shop missed the broken studs, the second shop said there were 3 broken, when I tore it down, there was 5 that were broken, and the engine has 80k on it. If you have a shop check it out, work out a deal with the owner and split the cost of having it checked out. Good luck.
sixnotfour
That almost looks like a strange case repair

uh actually for a 911 it is common. Your other reply is true , if you have no idea have an inspection.
sofi2t81
I had it at a Porsche dealer. They were not sure. One older mechanic said that he might saw something similar in the past on other G models.
Drums66
That _________almost looks like a strange case repair. ___ Here is the big deal, take the car to a shop that works on these to have it inspected. They may not find everything, but it helps to have the car checked out first. I have an engine that a shop had checked, and the first shop missed the broken studs, the second shop said there were 3 broken, when I tore it down, there was 5 that were broken, and the engine has 80k on it. If you have a shop check it out, work out a deal with the owner and split the cost of having it checked out. Good luck.
[/quote]

...That's what I was thinking...P-cars can take you to the brink of paranoia(thru bad experiences) do like he says ...get it inspected! idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.