Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery tray
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
I’m installing a new battery tray and was wondering how the ECU mounting-bracket was originally connected to the battery tray? I have seen a few attached with screws and some are welded on?

Can anyone tell me what was original?

Thanks,
Dragan
championgt1
Attached with screws.
SirAndy
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Aug 10 2011, 11:42 AM) *
Attached with screws.

agree.gif
draganc
Thank you and Danke!

Any pictures?
type47
6mm hex head bolts are used. There are holes in the "front" edge of the battery tray (the edge toward the .... well, front of the car) and the bolts screw into the ECU bracket. I think the front bracket piece "bends" or curves over the end of the ECU and 2 6mm cheesehead screws connect the curved piece to the bracket that is attached to the tray. That way, you can remove the ECU, leaving the bracket in place when you drop the engine. There must be another fastener at the other end of the bracket or the ECU would flop/vibrate on the 2 screwed end.
draganc
OK, let's make this idiot proof for me.

I can follow the comment about the two screw at the front of the tray but you lost me at "... I think the front bracket piece "bends" or curves over the end of the ECU and 2 6mm cheesehead screws connect the curved piece to the bracket that is attached to the tray...".

Here a picture of what I have.

Thanks,
Dragan

PS: The PO had the ECU bracket welded to the front and left side of the old tray.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
That is correct
jsayre914
pics from a 73 2.0

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(draganc @ Aug 10 2011, 01:56 PM) *

You are missing the front part of the bracket that curves downward. You'll need that to secure the front of the ECU.

shades.gif
draganc
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 10 2011, 02:05 PM) *

You are missing the front part of the bracket that curves downward. You'll need that to secure the front of the ECU.

shades.gif

Understood Andy! However, the pic that jsayre914 posted (thanks) shows that the bracket is fixed with one screw and two spot welds - on the long edge. Is that original?

Thanks,
d
draganc
PS: Can it be that there is a differance between late and early cars? I have seen now a few pics that have two spot welds and a screw and the side corner. Why spot weld and screw? I have a '75 2.0.
type47
QUOTE(draganc @ Aug 10 2011, 04:45 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 10 2011, 02:05 PM) *

shades.gif

Understood Andy! However, the pic that jsayre914 posted (thanks) shows that the bracket is fixed with one screw and two spot welds - on the long edge. Is that original?

Thanks,
d

Not original, just Joe's way of doing things happy11.gif In Joe's pic, you can see the "curved piece" held to the bracket with the 2 (should be cheesehead) screws.

Parts can be viewed here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=104293

r_towle
all of mine are held on with screws to the battery tray, and bolts to the ECU.

Rich
draganc

Not original, just Joe's way of doing things happy11.gif In Joe's pic, you can see the "curved piece" held to the bracket with the 2 (should be cheesehead) screws.

Parts can be viewed here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=104293

OK, now we have the proof in the puding! The braket I have is not original, it doesn't have the two 'press-in' nuts at the back. it's just a flat piece.

Thanks to all inputs!
SirAndy
QUOTE(draganc @ Aug 11 2011, 06:54 PM) *
The braket I have is not original, it doesn't have the two 'press-in' nuts at the back. it's just a flat piece.

They probably just fell off. Those nuts are spot welded to the bracket and can come off fairly easy.

shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.