Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Sway Bar Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave-O
Hi all,
I'm looking to install a front sway bar on my 70'. After going through all the effort to track one down and install it i would much rather end up with a 19mm bar rather than the stock 17mm.

First question: Does anyone have a 19mm bar lying around?

Second question: What 911's came with a stock 19mm through the body front bar? (this information would make it much easier to track down a used bar)

Third question: If i am unable to find a 19mm bar, does anyone have a stock bar that they'd be willing to part with real cheap? (sorry, i'm a poor college student who will probably be addicted to autocross within the next week rocking nana.gif )

On a side note, I'm going to my first autocross this weekend: the MOWOG event in St. Cloud MN. Any members attending? It would be nice to have someone with experience to give me some pointers. It should be fun to get out there in my car with no sway bars and cheap street tires MDB2.gif.

Thanks

David
Bruce Allert
I bought my front & rear stock bars from either this boards classifieds or Pelican Parts classifieds (jes' don't remember). Got both bars complete for $100. Sometimes you see them along with 19mm on Ebay.

As for AXing, once you start you'll be hooked .... FOREVER!!! beer.gif
Aaron Cox
first of all... i know the poor college thing. doin that too <_<

secondly, a stock bar for a 914 is 15mm.
third...biggest STOCK through body bar was an 18mm from a 1976 930 (930= 911 turbo)
fourth...

weltmeister makes an aftermarket 19mm bar.
some say, if your going through all the work of an install, get an adjustable BIG bar and set it at its softest. (so you can go bigger than a 19 at any time)

me? i love my tarretbar 23mm

www.tarett.com
Trekkor
Not for the student budget, but I really like my 31mm Smart Racing front bar! smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave-O @ Jul 5 2004, 10:34 AM)
On a side note, I'm going to my first autocross this weekend: the MOWOG event in St. Cloud MN. Any members attending? It would be nice to have someone with experience to give me some pointers. It should be fun to get out there in my car with no sway bars and cheap street tires MDB2.gif.

unless you got yourself stiffer springs in the rear, make sure you disconnect the front sway bar for your runs (if you get it installed by then).

even on full loose, it'll add to the understeering of a otherwise stock suspension ...
wink.gif Andy
Dave-O
unless you got yourself stiffer springs in the rear, make sure you disconnect the front sway bar for your runs (if you get it installed by then).

even on full loose, it'll add to the understeering of a otherwise stock suspension ...

I'm not sure what rear springs i have, they don't look origional but i don't think they are very stiff. Right now i'm just looking to get my suspention to a point where i don't have to worry about it and just concentrate on my driving (or lack there of). I thought a front bar would be a good place to start but perhaps i should just hold off on the front bar untill i pick up some rear springs too (possibly next season). Would a stock bar with stockish rear springs still lead to understeer?

Another question: What tire pressure would you suggest so that i can again just set it and run with it all day (one less variable) I'm not looking to shave fractions of a second off my runs i'm just looking to get a good base so i can learn. My tires are steet compound 205-60-R15 on 2.0 Fuchs. My suspention is completely stock with no sway bars.

Thanks,

David
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave-O @ Jul 5 2004, 03:03 PM)
My tires are steet compound 205-60-R15 on 2.0 Fuchs.

what brand tires? this is a trick question. biggrin.gif

there is no "right for all" number on the pressure. it is different from brand to brand.
i have a set of normal street tires (Nankang) 225/50 x 15 and they have very stiff sidewalls. i run them on 25lbs cold which seems to be the best compromise.
that might be way too less for your tires.
unless you have a brand someone else is using, you will have to experiment with the pressure.

one thing about street tires in general, they seem to get much worse (less stick) the hotter they get.
on my tires, the first run is always the best, sticky wise. too bad it's also the run where you try to figure out the course ...

Would a stock bar with stockish rear springs still lead to understeer?

unless your car is already *tailhappy* it most certainly will ...
get a adjusteable bar. then get heavier springs in the back or a rear bar.
then adjust front until car is balanced.

driving.gif Andy
Dave-O
first of all... i know the poor college thing. doin that too dry.gif

ha ha, it might be saltines and peanut butter for a while just to save up for the entry fees chowtime.gif ! Looks like my best bet is to just run the car as is for the remainder of this season and add an adjustable front bar and some springs in the rear this winter. Thanks for the advise because i'm just getting started down this road (long slippery slope some say). I'll be sure to post an update following the event (don't think i'll have my camera by then so sorry, no pics).

David

P.S. I saw a 74 1.8 registered in my class...Anyone...Anyone?
dmenche914
What I have found is front sway bars are good, rear bars are not.

be sure to have the bar installed with the correct metal triangles on the backside of the mounting hole for support. Sometimes people use U shaped supports, they are easy to install, but can allow the swaybar to rip the metal on your car! (I have seen this happen) To correctly install the sway bar, the gas tank need be pulled, to allow install of these triangle supports. When the tank is out, it is a good time to fix the fresh air blower if it is broke, often they get clogged with leaves. If you remove the blower (gas tank must be out for this) besure to add a screen under the intake louvers on the cowl, between the blower and the louvers. Early cars had no screen, later cars had a course screen (maybe 1/4 inch holes) get some aluminum window bug screen from the hardware store (not nylon screen, you want it to last forever) and place it under the louvers. This will keep leaves out of the fan. the later stock screen holes are too big, and still allow bugs, and pine needles to get in and clog the fan.

Good luck with your project.

dave

PS 150 lbs rear springs cut for lowering (of adjustable spring perch) and the front sway bar will make the 914 handle great i used 195 50 AVS tires, it was really fun on curves. You can also upgrade the swaybar pretty easy once the mounts are inplace, so if on a budget go with what you got. all you should need is the bigger bar, and correct bushings to upgrade later. Just the stock bar can make a big handling difference. you need not spend a ton of mulla to make the car handle like on rails. If in the SF area, go to Custom Alignment in Mt. View to get alignment done, and ride hieght set, they do a very good job and know 914's very well. Highly recommended.
DrifterJay
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jul 5 2004, 11:33 AM)

me? i love my tarretbar 23mm

w00t.gif w00t.gif ....Aaron your bar has been in the car for 3 months now and isnt even hooked up.... biggrin.gif I am sure you like the way it "looks..." hehe...
rolleyes.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Jul 6 2004, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jul 5 2004, 11:33 AM)

me? i love my tarretbar  23mm

w00t.gif w00t.gif ....Aaron your bar has been in the car for 3 months now and isnt even hooked up.... biggrin.gif I am sure you like the way it "looks..." hehe...
rolleyes.gif

lol.... i hate you biggrin.gif

free advertisement amigo....

jerk :finger2:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.