Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle Cable Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
keylessentry
Hi I am new around here. I own a 1972 914 2.0 with dual weber carbs, monza exhaust, and a few other bits and pieces here and there. My throttle cable was rerouted by the guy who did the carb conversion so it basically is lower than anything else under the car. I think its got a hole in it and some kind of grime has got in to it because the gas pedal is really sticky now. An example would be I press down the gas to accelerate and then when I clutch to shift, the revs go way up and to "un-stick" the gas requires a throttle blip. I try to do all the work on this car myself but I finally broke down and took it to my normal mechanic (he works on my 99 Audi A4) and he told me he couldnt do anythign about it because of how the cable was rerouted because of the carb job. Does anybody know of a fix that wouldnt require replacing the cable?
Eric_Shea
Sounds like it simply needs to be done right.

If the cable runs "under" the car then you've got serious IAPO problems. The throttle cable should run through a tube that is in your tunnel. The tube runs from just behind the pedal assembly (where your heel would normally rest... it's inside that tunnel) all the way to the back and exiting the firewall just in front of the engine.

It's really not too tough to run the cable in this tube (if it's not already, your comments "lower than anything else under the car" leads me to believe it's not). Loosen the nut at the pedal end and back off the ball hitch and nut. Remove the end from the carbs as well. Pull the cableback toward the engine. Find the tube it needs to run through and push it through until it comes through back up by the pedal assembly. Install the nut and the ball hitch back on the end. Snap it to the accelerator linkage. Now go back to the engine and re-route it to your carbs.

Check the cable when it's out. It should have a good plastic shield around it. If not you risk it acting as a big "ground" and melting...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.