Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Test Drive Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BraunSC
I am searching for a 914 for my wife. I told her the PCA meets aren't any fun for her since she doesn't have her own Porsche. She doesn't like the 911. So...

I went to test drive a 914 over the weekend from a guy who had it on collector car trader. Right away I saw that surface rust meant you could see through the front fender and nearly the trunk lid. (However, it pased the fat man test - or I did (not fat enough laugh.gif ) ) So I figured we'd at least take it for a spin around the block to get the feel for the 914 in general.

In trying to get it out of the driveway, I stalled it repeatedly. Now, assuming that I didn't actually have it in 3rd gear all, get this: 4 times headbang.gif, what could be the problem? I know the parking brake couldn't be it since it didn't work. I thought maybe the clutch was shot, but the owner claimed to be able to drive it himself. Since I already knew I wasn't going to buy it, I figure why waste his time proving it to me. Yes, I should maybe walked when I saw it but it was like a 60 mine drive there, so why not get some seat time.

Am I missing something about the driving of these cars??? I moved a grand total of 10 feet. Ug.
J P Stein
Assuming you know the 901 shift pattern, here's a quick ditty.

If the thing don't shift properly, walk. It means the owner isn't takin' care of biddness. The only caveat here is....if the thing is totaly rust free and the paint is nice....then, lowball him. biggrin.gif

If you don't know the 914, find someone that does and take him along. The only difference between a 911 & a 914 is the initial purchase price. Fixin' them is about the same, pricewise.....ah....the t-4 motor is cheeper, but less reliable...a wa$h biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.