Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's single best 914 purchase you've ever made?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
siverson
I bought a pair of $2 microfiber cloths at my FLAPs this weekend for window cleaning, and wow, they work so much better than newspaper/paper towel/rags/etc. Just thought I'd share the info, or maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know this.

What's the single best 914 purchase you've made?

My other runner ups would be:

- cordless impact wrench - big time/energy saver

- steel flares and 16x8/9 wheels - I never get tired of the look

- MAF to replace the AFM on the 3.6 - maybe more horsepower, but much more tractable at low RPMs

-Steve
(the microfiber cloths really aren't that neat - they were just the last thing of the day I got excited about - but they do work well)
grantsfo
205/50/15 Falken Azenis Sports for $62 a tire
Korijo
Jack stands <_<
lagunero
QUOTE(Korijo @ Jul 5 2004, 11:13 PM)
Jack stands dry.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif Dremel comes to mind idea.gif
Trekkor
Besides getting the car for $2200,
it would be the Koni's, or was it the Falken's, no, wait, the Smart bar...my Riviera's? lol2.gif
TonyAKAVW
Well, the car in my avatar I ercently purchased for $1k. That was a pretty darn good buy. Its a 1970, with a sideshift conversion, decent body, engine needs some adjustments, but its a good beater until I get my real 914 project finished. Which brings me to the second best purchase...

I traded my friend Royce (goes by 'bondo' around here) a $4.99 frozen DiGiorno pizza for a 2.0 engine. The engine needs to be rebuilt, but so far the heads look very good and the cam shaft at least looks decent.

By far though, the best purchase has been a AAA plus membership. 100 mile towing is pretty nice, and I've used it I think 5 times now over the past 3 or so years. Its a nice way to tow rollers around.

-Tony
McMark
I'd have to say that morphenspectras carpet kit has made me the happiest. Finishes out the cars look without breaking the bank.
Rusty
It's a toss-up for second place: Perry Kiehl's umbrella cover has provided me years of excellent service. I really like Craig's rear trunk kit, too.

But the very best purchase was time with my Toolwench. wub.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Juniors_914
My car. bought it for $750 thats including towing (37 miles...from Orange County to LA) biggrin.gif
JerryP
I just bought a complete 74 2.0 car for $300. So far all I've taken off are a really nice dash, heater boxes and the trunk lock assembly. I opened the trunk and there was a brand new set of bilsteins still in the boxes. It's already outperforming my stinking mutual funds. rocking nana.gif

Hey wait...that's bad news.
GaroldShaffer
#1 would be PPI for my 70. It is a very solid car smilie_pokal.gif

#2 would be the two complete parts cars I got for $25
see story here http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...rts%20cars&st=0

One turned out to be a Orange/White LE, to bad it was rusted away. See pics here http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...rts%20cars&st=0
Qarl
Well, my body cost me $4600 including shipping from out West, but I sold off over $3K in parts, so I got a pretty darn good rust-free body for around $1600.00. I woulda spent more fixing a bad body.

My best "deal" probably was a NOS main body wiring harness I found in Switzerland for $175.00.
peridotian
A smaller steering wheel! I thought I would have to sell the car or shrink. But as soon as I lost the air con and put on a smaller wheel I fit better than in the wife's boxster!
DNHunt
Turbo tierods. I enjoy then evertime I turn the car.

Dave
anthony
The car was the best purchase so far. I was incredibly lucky to find such a nice car after only two months of looking. At the time I didn't realize how rare a really nice, all original, garaged all its life 914 is.
dflesburg
Best purchase:

3 car garage so wife has a bay and lets me do what I want with my side...
tat2dphreak
the car itself... 1500 for a rust-fixed body
followed closely by the engine

a rust-free '72 body:1500
a running longblock: $2000,
interior pieces : $200

not having to fix headlights, and rust, and engine on my first teener: priceless

monkeydance.gif
914rick
I would have to say that the single best purchase/investment in the car has been one of Raby's 2270s wink.gif . I love it.
Aaron Cox
falken azenis 205/50/15
tarett holow seaybar
5 lug fuchs/911 suspension
scotty
Joining this bbs... wait... that was "free" biggrin.gif

Seriously, a third brake light ..or the PMO's for the six wink.gif
boxstr
One single purchase comes to mind recently. Registration fee to WCC #1. Meet lots of great people from this BBS and saw alot of really nice 914s. Also had a great time driving all over Northern Calif. with other like minded drivers.
Had a blast at Candlestick park autocross, some really excellent drivers there.
Smile that wouldn't go away after taking the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca in the 9146GT 3.0 with Mrs K in passenger seat.
And last but not least a great day at Partsheaven swap meet.
CCLINPRICELESS
Mueller
My roller bearings !!!!!!

seriously, I'd have to list my leather wrapped MOMO shift knob, it feels so much better than the hard plastic factory knob, it really made a differance and is something that I highly recommend smilie_pokal.gif
jandro62
new shift bushings for my tail shifter. Having fourth gear again was a nice bonus. The other treat is the Momo steering wheel. Its bolstered in all the right places, looks great, and has a quality feel to it. Way better than the old one with the floppy horn pad.

Alex
seanery
buying a 2nd 914 for street use was my best single purchase.
markb
The 71 I'll be picking up in about an hour. Standard rusty hellhole & no battery tray, but solid otherwise. I sold the guy an engine I had as a spare, and he ran out of ambition. He called me yesterday & offered it to me for $600.00. He did still owe me $500.00 for the motor, so I guess my total is $1100.00. Not bad all things considered, but I really didn't need another 914. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet & live with it. cool.gif
Joe Bob
H4 replacement headlamps.....those old sealed beams sucked.
914werke
Gotta be the LE complete and unmolested with a bad battery for $1500.
Ill never forget that drive home. smilie_pokal.gif
J P Stein
A rebuilt, sat on a shelf for 9 years, 2.7L long block for 500 bucks. Sold the RS pistons for 500 bucks, sold the cams for 100 bucks......then money started flowing the other way. biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
My favorite up-grade was putting an 85 Carrera front end on my car.
It corners great and I love the stopping power with bigger brakes.
The 5 lug conversion led to my best value purchase ..... 6 real 15x7 Fuchs for $25 each.
SLITS
1970 rust free roller (engine & trans came with it, but out of car) $5.00 at auction smilie_pokal.gif

1974 2.0 Zambezi Green running - $600 biggrin.gif - Unfortunately I wrecked it about 3 months later. sad.gif
dmenche914
Best buy was a 1970 914 1.7 with alloys and rool bar for $900. was my first 914, tons of fun till it got wrecked.

dave
boxstr
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 6 2004, 01:05 AM)
It's a toss-up for second place: Perry Kiehl's umbrella cover has provided me years of excellent service. I really like Craig's rear trunk kit, too.

But the very best purchase was time with my Toolwench. wub.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

Thanks RUSTY, check is in the mail. biggrin.gif
CCLINSUNNYCAMP
Andyrew
Hmmm ooh toughie..

I love my 5 lug conversion, in that line I love the deal I got with the wheels and that I hope to keep getting... (4 rep fuch's 300, 4 cookies 100, 3 phone dials 30)

I do gotta say that I loved driving when I had my dads racing seat in.. It just looked soo good and fit me sooo well.. That matched with my momo steering wheel and AWESOME shift knob (thanks Karl) made the interior just the way I wanted it.

Ok, if I had to take a stab, it would probably be the 6 rear trailing arm shims that I got for 6 bucks.. I dont know if you can beat that!

Andrew
double-a
talk about major improvements, i recently replaced the 165/70s that were on the car when i bought it with yoko avs es100 205/55 tires. definitely handles like a different car, on stock suspension no less. i think my next improvement will be turbo tie rods, whenever i get around to it.

~a
Martin Baker
iamchappy
SAMMY SEALS mueba.gif
SirAndy
the *correct* shifter-bushing for the firewall ...

wink.gif Andy
boxstr
Martin I can't say for sure, the polls have not been tallied. Not sure when,where,what,how much,etc.
CCLINWCC#3PNW
Toast
sawzall-smiley.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 6 2004, 12:05 AM)
Perry Kiehl's umbrella cover has provided me years of excellent service.

Lawrence,

Thanks, a 100 times thanks! I think I've sold over 200 now, with no complaints! A few owners out there have ordered replacement bungees (after between about 12 and 18 months of constant UV exposure the bungees wilt).

We all know why we need it!

PK cool.gif
IronHillRestorations
oh yea
Katmanken
My three hunnert dollar junker car.

Very interesting car..... First PO put 57k on it in 3 years. Second PO puts 13k on it from 1977 to today but ran the car through a salty winter and parked it indoors away from light. ohmy.gif

Second PO decided to restart the engine- decided it had a valve problem and bought two brand new factory 2.0 heads for a fix. He bolted them in, put the engine in and it wouldn't turn over. sad.gif

Kenny buys car after noticing shiny heads with 3 intake studs. Asked about engine got above story. Interior has 3-4 years of wear and tear, an uncracked dash, and when I lifted the floor mats, found rugs that may never have known feet. Wiring harness now resides in the rust free North Carolina car. lol2.gif

Rust is so bad that the car has no floor....

Those heads are so purty... smilie_pokal.gif

Ken
URY914
That first set of 15x7" Revolution wheels and Hoosier autocross tires.

They made the car come alive.

Paul
Joe Bob
Hey Perry....do they fit lowly 911s?
aircooledboy
Hands down: my current address wub.gif

I have 4 teener's now, prolly gonna add a new flag ship to my little fleet by the end of the month and I still have room to add 20 more and keep them all inside!!!!! rocking nana.gif

Man I love living in the country monkeydance.gif

Alright, maybe not 20, but 10 more easy w00t.gif
blaize
Well my car was $500 damn near rust free, all the aftermarket suspension bits and a 2.0 engine. and its a side shift 73.

But last week I got a swet of 16 by 7 fuchs (real ones) 911 front shocks and full front brakes. all for $200
a.munoz3
I aswell think the tie rods are best purchase
wheelo
Previous Owner... chopped my ashtray by 1/3 for some unknown (stupid) reason .... was so happy to find a good replacement for cheap ! Also, won bid on e-bay, for electronic ignition and hot-coil, less than 1/2 actual cost !
clap56.gif
ablose58
The best 914 purchase of mine is KERMIT. smilie_pokal.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jul 7 2004, 05:29 AM)
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 6 2004, 12:05 AM)
Perry Kiehl's umbrella cover has provided me years of excellent service.

Lawrence,

Thanks, a 100 times thanks! I think I've sold over 200 now, with no complaints! A few owners out there have ordered replacement bungees (after between about 12 and 18 months of constant UV exposure the bungees wilt).

No, thank you for a quality product. There are only a few things that I will recommend without hesitation; and the umbrella is on the very short list.

I may need to get a new set of bungies when I come home. I've had it for 5(?) years or so... so I've got my money's worth. How much for new bungies? I suppose I can have someplace just stitch them in.

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.