Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COTM Sept-Oct 2011
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
carr914
Voting is Open and will be for 10 Days

Nominees, Nominators & the Rest of you Knuckleheads are free to Post more pics of the cars, explain why you nominated or voted for them and gives more details of the cars.

This thread is Not about why the COTM should be once a month or every 2 months, World vs Club, why I am an AssHat etc

As Usual, we have a GREAT Group of 914s and Owners to Choose from

Good Luck to All

T.C.
carr914
#1 Toast

Click to view attachment
carr914
#2 Tomeric914

Click to view attachment
carr914
#3 Gustl

Click to view attachment
carr914
#4 dcheek

Click to view attachment
carr914
#5 Greenie

Click to view attachment
Gustl
I'm really honored to be nominated - thanks guys pray.gif

today I made another trip with the six and took more pics biggrin.gif
I decided to show pics without a nice scenery - the voting should be about the car, not the background (IMHO)

It's a late MY'70 car, same month and year than I am smilie_pokal.gif
only 3 pre-owners, always been in the SF bay area
1st sold by Martin-Johnson Porsche Audi, Oakland, CA
1st owner from Berkeley, CA, later moved to St. Helena, CA
2nd owner from Hillsborough, CA
3rd owner from Montara, CA

it seems to be an all numbers matching - will try to get a COA somewhen

in 2001 it got repainted in original colour 8310 - green metallic (special colour, only MY'70)

currently it has a little more than 102k miles on the clock

NORD

They are all nice!!! smilie_pokal.gif Need some more Information about each

before I vote.
AndyB
I went with Tomeric914 because he is a local car. Well sort of at least within 75 miles. And we are due for something good way up here smilie_pokal.gif
Madswede
Besides the other pic already here, this is Toast's interior (which she did herself IIRC) that was in the nomination thread but deserves to be here as well. Maybe she'll stop by and talk about it a bit ... poke.gif
jmill
Although all the cars are winners, I went with Tomeric914's car. He turned that car around faster than anyone I've seen. He was never bit by the "while I'm in there bug." Fix one thing and drive, rinse and repeat. There aint no moss on this one.

Cupomeat
I went with the Tomeric car as he does "Drive the wheels" off that car.

In fact, he and I just got back from a PCA DE at Watkins Glen and here is all the footage I have of that car on the track.

http://www.vimeo.com/27610851

He uses it as a Daily driver AND just completed 3.0l six conversion. I swear he tears the whole car apart each night and does something in one night, the rest of us take a month to do.

I'll post more pix of that car as I think I have more pictures of it than Tom does.
tomeric914
Gosh, I don't know what to say! Working on cars has always been my hobby which my wife appreciates because she would rather than I be in the garage working on a car than out drinking at some bar. This one kinda snuck up on me though. We only have a 2 car garage and my wife said that I couldn't buy another car to because she didn't want it in the driveway in pieces. So instead Eric (Cupomeat) bought the car. After about 6 months of it residing at my house, she and the kids began wondering whose car it really was. Was it mine, or was it Eric's? Not knowing whose it was, they began to call it the TomEric car, hence my screen name.

There are basically four parts to my day. Work, home, car and sleep. Sleep being optional. Parts for the car have been mostly bought and sold on 914World and it's vendors, Pelican Parts, an eBay. All of the work (welding, bodywork, paint, mechanical, etc.) has been done by myself in the comfort of my own garage. The only way I can afford this hobby is by doing it myself!

Here is my build thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=109664

EDIT: ...and a bigger picture of my avatar from last year's DE at Watkin's Glen

Click to view attachment

...and some other toys. All 3 fit in my two car garage so my wife is still happy. Now, how can I expand my garage to fit a 4th? idea.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
greenie
It's fun to see any of these great cars nominated! ( I'm voting for Toast this time).

A few of my favorite pictures of my stock 1974 2.0L, behind Jon Boveys beautiful (and sorely missed) orange GT , tightening my wheel bearing amongst my fan club at WCR011 a couple months ago and kinda of an artsy shot.

Thanks for looking and the nomination Kelty!
KELTY360
QUOTE(greenie @ Aug 14 2011, 01:19 PM) *

It's fun to see any of these great cars nominated! ( I'm voting for Toast this time).

A few of my favorite pictures of my stock 1974 2.0L, behind Jon Boveys beautiful (and sorely missed) orange GT , tightening my wheel bearing amongst my fan club at WCR011 a couple months ago and kinda of an artsy shot.

Thanks for looking.

Man, that 'fan club' is a shady bunch of guys. shades.gif
messix
Greenies car should be disqualified because it has a broken door handle. bootyshake.gif
dcheek
QUOTE(NORD @ Aug 14 2011, 10:07 AM) *

They are all nice!!! smilie_pokal.gif Need some more Information about each

before I vote.

Thanks for nominating my car! I'm honored to be part of such an exclusive group of 914's.
Here is a brief history of my ownership:

I purchased this 914 in December 1975, a year after I got out of College. Living at home, I had the opportunity to save $7000, which was burning a hole in my pocket. I just had to buy a sports car. The question was, which one? In consideration was a Corvette, Datsun 260Z and Lancia Beta Monte Carlo. I was leaning towards the Corvette, but there wasn't a dealer willing to let a 24 year old take a test drive. The same was true for the "Z" and the Lancia. When I went to the Porsche Dealer, they threw me the keys and said, "Let me know what you think". What was more amazing is that they let me go alone! Well, as my good friend in the car business says, "The feel of the wheel is half the deal". Once I drove the car, it was a done deal. I want to point out that before that, I wasn't thrilled with the 914 styling but, as time goes on, it just got better and better. Anyway, like I said I saved $7000, enough for all the other vehicles I was considering, but not for the 914. The cost for the 1976 model year had reached $9100! Why? Because all of the last production run cars where 2.0 liters, and they had every option possible, to use up all the parts. I really didn't want to spend that much but, after my test drive, I couldn't resist. I subsequently had to take out a loan at the bank for the other $2000. So, fast forward 35 years, and you have what you see here.

Number 3411 out of the last 4100 914's manufactured in the last model year.
Malaga Red, black interior.
Performance Group
Appearance Group
Tinted Glass
Rear Window Defogger
Intermittent Wipers
Blaupunkt AM/FM Stereo radio-dealer installed
Rustproofing-dealer installed

Some of the reactions to the car:

"Who painted the car, the paint beautiful." My answer, "Porsche."

How do you keep it so nice?" My answer, "I don't drive it!"
In all fairness, I have only trailered the car to one event, and the only reason I did that was because I was concerned about the reliability of a 30 year old car (at that time) taking a 2 1/2 hour trip.

"How many miles on it?" My answer 24,000.......original.

I know many of you think it's a sin not using the car more but, my thing is maintaining its "newness." I try not to replace anything that doesn't need it. Nor do I try to modify any aspect of the original design. Do I look down upon the "Modified/Customized" 914's? Absolutely not. In fact I admire the time, effort and engineering that goes into such a project. It's just not my thing.

Here are some more pictures that I took last week after a 2 year in hibernation.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tod914
Dave, thanks for taking the time to add the other pictures along with the great narrative. Simply amazing the way you preserved the car over the years. Glad to hear you plan on exercising it now and again smile.gif
nsr-jamie
All of the cars are beautiful!!
SLITS
Toast's car was a rolling chassis that was acquired in late 2003 and finished in 2004 in time for the WCC04. It has been driven, raced (Willow WCC05, Spring Mountain DE, Baja III that's another story) and driven some more since then. Up until last year, it was her only vehicle. Really the only thing to say is that she loves to drive it more than anything she has owned. Not perfect by any means ..... just a solid daily driver. I nominated it as I haven't met anyone that loves a 914 more even with their glitches.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 14 2011, 09:46 PM) *

Toast's car was a rolling chassis that was acquired in late 2003 and finished in 2004 in time for the WCC04. It has been driven, raced (Willow WCC05, Spring Mountain DE, Baja III that's another story) and driven some more since then. Up until last year, it was her only vehicle. Really the only thing to say is that she loves to drive it more than anything she has owned. Not perfect by any means ..... just a solid daily driver. I nominated it as I haven't met anyone that loves a 914 more even with their glitches.

agree.gif Click to view attachment
TJB/914
Woldgang,
You got my vote pray.gif Beautiful 914-6 with nice chrome fogs w00t.gif

Our first International winner first.gif

Tom
carr914
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 15 2011, 08:08 PM) *

Woldgang Wolfgang,

Our first International winner first.gif

Tom

We have had 2 previous International Winners - HaraldD from Germany & Frodefe from Norway
Gustl
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 16 2011, 01:08 AM) *

Woldgang,

thanks Tom beerchug.gif

the chrome grills fit perfectly - special thanks for that aktion035.gif

tod914
Beautiful collection of cars, like Jamie mentioned.
type47
It's really good to have the owners or nominators post more pix and the background stories to see and read before voting. This month's selection is really hard to choose one to vote for. ALL are beautiful examples....
PeeGreen 914
Had to vote for Curt. All of these are very nice cars but Curt's car is one of the local legends and Curt is on hell of a guy. Plus he included a picture of my lost child. Man I miss that car.
kevin311
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 14 2011, 10:58 PM) *

Thats an awesome picture, it took me a second to see it all..
Perfect visual description of how it feels to drive a teener.
Toast
Thank you so much for the nomination! cheer.gif driving-girl.gif

I still drive my 914 nearly every day, unless I have fix something. rolleyes.gif Even in the 100+ Vegas heat.

That picture of the tach I took while exiting the freeway going to work. I praticed several times to get the needle out of the way and the reflection and non-blury. All while downshifting and navigating traffic on a freeway offramp. laugh.gif

QUOTE(Madswede @ Aug 14 2011, 11:18 AM) *

Besides the other pic already here, this is Toast's interior (which she did herself IIRC) that was in the nomination thread but deserves to be here as well. Maybe she'll stop by and talk about it a bit ... poke.gif

Jon,
Those plaid seats were Kilt material that I purchased from Scottland and my Mom sewed them. thumb3d.gif I have since worn those seats out. biggrin.gif I have replaced them with matching yellow & black vinyl seats. I will post a picture.

Also I have had the backpad, center concol pad and dash reupholsterd. shades.gif

Vote for me! first.gif wink.gif

toast.gif
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(kevin311 @ Aug 18 2011, 02:28 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 14 2011, 10:58 PM) *

Thats an awesome picture, it took me a second to see it all..
Perfect visual description of how it feels to drive a teener.

I agree 100%, the permagrin is very familiar. I imagine all 914 drivers look like they are keeping a great secret when they are crusing. Great camera work! I want to get an extra set of seats and do red plaid seat inserts.
AndyB
Here is the plug for Tomeric914 we dont have year round temps for driving. But his is driven every chance he gets. May as well call it his daily driver. His has a 6 cylinder for all those voting on a 6. He improves as he goes come on you cant beat that smile.gif Try driving you teener here in February I double dog dare you beer.gif Tomeric914 is the definition of COTM he helps others. And is more then willing to share his knowledge. Tomeric914 is COTM we may be a small contingent up here but we are here. A vote for Tomeric914 is a vote worth casting
strawman
Wow, all great cars. This a very difficult decision, but I can't help but vote for a flared and driven car. Go Tomeric!
AZ914
TOAST,
That is a great picture! Are you going to make the RRC this year?
bcheney
As always...the cars look fantastic...a great collection for us to admire. Since my first Porsche was a big bumper 75 2.0 I love the "Red" car...very clean...orignal and well cared for. Then again...The "Green" -6 from across the pond is absolutely top notch. I will flip a coin between those two cars and place my vote...May the the force be with both of you in your quest for "COTM" !!
carr914
QUOTE(bcheney @ Aug 21 2011, 04:23 PM) *

I love the "Red" car...very clean...orignal and well cared for. Then again...The "Green" -6 from across the pond is absolutely top notch.

Geez Brian, you need to quit playing with the Tail-Dragger, Greenie is from the PNW - then I guess if you're traveling East, that is a Couple of Ponds away poke.gif
3d914
Too many great choices. Do those that don't win this month get on the list for next month? I'd like to vote for all of them. Bummer. drooley.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 21 2011, 03:18 PM) *

QUOTE(bcheney @ Aug 21 2011, 04:23 PM) *

I love the "Red" car...very clean...orignal and well cared for. Then again...The "Green" -6 from across the pond is absolutely top notch.

Geez Brian, you need to quit playing with the Tail-Dragger, Greenie is from the PNW - then I guess if you're traveling East, that is a Couple of Ponds away poke.gif

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Gustl's green 914-6 ... shades.gif
bcheney
You got got Sir Andy...That TC guy...geez....
carr914
QUOTE(3d914 @ Aug 21 2011, 06:28 PM) *

Do those that don't win this month get on the list for next month?

No, they can't be in consecutive Contests, so they would have to wait.
tomeric914
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Aug 19 2011, 01:07 AM) *

Try driving you teener here in February I double dog dare you beer.gif

Thanks for the kind words Andy! Yes I have driven the 914 and other VWs in the middle of winter on those rare days that the roads are dry and the sun out. None of them have heat so I either have to bundle up or get at least one passenger to come with me for body heat!

This past January, my 8 year old son and I took the '58 single cab on a very cold trip about 50 miles south of Syracuse to look at a potential spare 6 cylinder motor. That was one of the coldest drives we had taken in a long time! Still a great time and a memorable experience for the both of us. smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 14 2011, 07:46 PM) *

Toasts' car looks a lot better when SHE'S sitting in it. wub.gif
Cheers, Elliot

PS Still the sexiest avatar on the forum.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 21 2011, 05:26 PM) *

QUOTE(3d914 @ Aug 21 2011, 06:28 PM) *

Do those that don't win this month get on the list for next month?

No, they can't be in consecutive Contests, so they would have to wait.

Yeah, you wouldn't want someone to always come in second dry.gif
carr914
2 Days left in the Voting
tomeric914
Vote for me please! smile.gif

Click to view attachment
NORD

I've looked many times they are all Great "Winners" so had to go with

The guy that lives in the PNW I've seen the car its beutiful first.gif
76-914
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Aug 19 2011, 02:59 PM) *

TOAST,

Yea, she's going. Ron and her will be my front door. I'll be watching the back of her head for 800+ miles. Well, not the whole time. She took a few naps in Ron's lap on the way up last year. lol-2.gif av-943.gif poke.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 23 2011, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(AZ914 @ Aug 19 2011, 02:59 PM) *

TOAST,

Yea, she's going. Ron and her will be my front door. I'll be watching the back of her head for 800+ miles. Well, not the whole time. She took a few naps in Ron's lap on the way up last year. lol-2.gif av-943.gif poke.gif

It's a long hallway to the front door drivin' that slow ass POS you have .... poke.gif

Hell, I'll be in Ouray afore ya'll get outta first gear.
carr914
Just Hours left - Gustl with a BIG Lead
abnrdo
Ahhhh I cant pick just one!!!

unsure.gif
Tom_T
Geez Louise! drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
Toughest choice in a while, and I'd have preferred a 5-way tie this time!
wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.