Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Question for V8 guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GRM1964
I have a question for those of you guys running a V8. I have the Kennedy kit, and started out with the 215mm flywheel and stock 914 clutch and pressure plate. My engine has about 275-300 hp, and the clutch would start to slip at about 1/2 throttle. I upgraded to the Kennedy Stage II pressure plate, and retained a stock 914 disc. The clutch didn't slip, but it only lasted for about 3 passes at the dragstrip. I just ordered ,last week, the Kennedy 6 pad metallic clutch disc. It is suppose to be good for about 273 ft. lbs. of torque, when used with the Stage II pressure plate. I haven't installed it yet to see what it will do.My question is, in a drag racing situation, do you feel this will hold up, or do I need to upgrade to the 9" clutch disc? I hate to do that because that means new 228mm flywheel, pressure plate and disc not to mention $$$ What set ups are you guys using in your cars? Thanks for any input.

Bill
Brad Roberts
You have to run the 228 with a stageII if you want it to hold. I would suggest a spring centered PUC disc. Driving one with a solid center isnt much fun on the street. I used to beat the piss out of one of our V8 914's with a 901 in it. It chewed the teeth right off the R+P.

Something you havent said:

What throwout bearing are you using ??

B
GRM1964
Brad;

Thanks for the fast response! I am using the stock 914 throw out bearing.

Bill
Brad Roberts
That is your problem.

You cant run the stock throw out bearing with the KEP setup. You need their special throw out bearing.

Your clutch is not disengaging all the way.

Promise.

Call Kennedy tomorrow and tell them what you have.

Ask me how I know this ...ha ha ha clap56.gif

B
Brad Roberts
Let me know what you think about my post above.

Keep checking back for this post... I'm watching the news so I will be up for another few hours.

B
GRM1964
Brad;

I will give them a call tomm. I am still going to have to upgrade to the 9" clutch though, correct? I guess I got a little confused when ordering from them. I was told that the stock disc and 215mm pressure plate would hold 180lbs. of torque, and that the Stage II 215mm pressure plate would hold 272 lbs. of torque with the stock disc, and if I used the Stage II 215mm pressure plate and 6 pad metallic disc, that would hold 337 lbs. of torque. The Stage II 9" pressure plate with stock F&S disc only holds 273 lbs. of torque, so I thought the decision was a no brainer. Did I misunderstand something?
huh.gif

Bill
Brad Roberts
You have all the numbers correct. I think the whole problem is the throw out bearing.

I went thru 3-4 discs/pressure plates before I figured out somebody had replaced the beefy KEP throw out bearing with a stock one. The stock one doesnt reach the KEP pressure plates properly. You can adjust it to reach.. but when you let off the clutch... it doesnt disengage the pressure plate completely allowing the disc to slip. The KEP TOB (throw out bearing) is some VW bus bearing pressed into a housing that accepts our clutch fork.

Oh.. send me the pic you used for your avatar and I will resize it for you ...so it looks proper and not all stretched.

B
GRM1964
Brad;

Thanks I will call them. I was looking through their catalog while I was waiting for your response, and they only show a special release bearing for their 9" clutch kits not for the 215mm kits. I will call tomm. and try to confirm. I will send you that pics in a minute, I was having a heck of a time uploading the pic, took me 10 tries or so unsure.gif I am not the most computer literate guy on the BBS that's for sure. Thanks for your insight on my problem. I think I will change out the relase bearing with what Kennedy suggests, and install the 6 pad metallic disc, since I doubt I can send it back sad.gif And then start saving for the 228mm flywheel, pressure plate and disc. You don't happen to have anything used like that laying around by chance do you? tongue.gif Talk to you later.

Bill
Brad Roberts
I have a setup...but one of the other V8 guys is first on my list to buy it.

Save for the 228. It was the only one I could find that would handle the 400hp we where making on pump gas. Our car had GT flares and 16x8's on it.

Tell us more about the Grassroots challenge. I know what it is..but how did you manage to stay under the amount ??

B
GRM1964

Just my luck!

Save for the 228. It was the only one I could find that would handle the 400hp we where making on pump gas. Our car had GT flares and 16x8's on it.

I will. That sounds like the solution to my problem.

Tell us more about the Grassroots challenge. I know what it is..but how did you manage to stay under the amount ??

Well if you know what it is, I won't bore you with the background. The way I kept it under budget was that I bought a running 914 for $1025, sold the engine,heat exchangers, and the entire interior to get ithe cost of the car down to basically $0 I bought a used rebuilt 350 out of the paper for $575, and had a buddy of my fab up most of the conversion pieces. It isn't the cleanest example, but when you are trying to stay under $2003, you have to make some tough choices! I did well in the drags, I got 7th overall 13.3 @ 104.7, but I smoked the clutch after 3, well 2 1/2 passes and had to limp through the autocross the next day, wasn't pretty, but at least I didn't get a DNF! Had a good time, but I was seriously outclassed. BTW;
could you send me your e-mail, I can't figure out how to attach a pic to have you resize it for my avatar. Thanks!

Bill

billmaulding@gcctv.com
Brad Roberts
Use:

Brad@all914.com

HUM.. too bad you are so far away.

How where you outclassed ?? You can point me to a website if I ask too many questions. I'm impressed you where able to keep it under 2003 dollars. I have always thought a V8 914 could win the whole thing.

B
GRM1964
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 23 2003, 09:14 PM)

HUM.. too bad you are so far away.

Tell me! Seems like most you guys are on the left coast.

How where you outclassed ??

Fit and finsih and engineering. The guys that won had a 1995 Mazda Miata with a fuel injected 302 in it. Amazing machine, creative accounting though! Look at GrassRoots website, and you can check out the cars for yourself. One guy had a 1987 I think Buick Grand National! $2003??? LOL

You can point me to a website if I ask too many questions.

Heck no, I think I have drove my wife nuts talking about the event, she will be glad I am bothering somebody else! Webpage?!? You kidding? I can't figure out how to send you an avatar, let alone run a webpage!

I'm impressed you where able to keep it under 2003 dollars. Only way it works is you can subtract parts you sold off the car to defer your cost. Like I said made a lot of tough decisions, I wouldn't have had to make if there was no limit, not like I have deep pockets to begin with.

I have always thought a V8 914 could win the whole thing.

I am not saying it couldn't happen, just not in my hands with the car I brought. Lot of guys used pro drivers and everything. I would have finished dead last before I would have let them run my car. Defeats the purpose in my opinion. Apparetnly I didn't want to win at all costs. I had a blast though!

Bill
GRM1964
You have all the numbers correct. I think the whole problem is the throw out bearing.

I went thru 3-4 discs/pressure plates before I figured out somebody had replaced the beefy KEP throw out bearing with a stock one.

Brad;

I just got off the phone with Kennedy, and they told me that the 215mm flywheel and uses the stock 914 throw out bearing, it is not modified in any way. They say the one for the 228mm flywheel, however is a modified VW unit, so I guess that isn't the problem afterall. I would like to upgrade to the 228mm but I just don't have the $$$ right now. Talk with you soon. Any other ideas? With the 215mm flywheel, Stage II pressure plate, and 6 pad clutch disc holding 337lbs. of torque, shouldn't that hold up for awhile with a 275hp Chevy V8?

Bill
Brad Roberts
It should hold up,

Makes me wonder if something else isnt holding the clutch pedal from disengaging.

Is everything related with the clutch cable/pedal arm on assembly/clutch tube/firewall/bushing in clutch arm/pivot ball for clutch arm/ in good shape ??

It still sounds like the clutch isnt disengaging. You need to have a buddy get into the car and push the clutch in while you watch the arm as it moves in the hole. It should not touch the case at rest or in the loaded state. It rest towards the front of the car in the hole.

B
rick 918-S
I like everything about this thread. Great topic, I think the grass roots thing is coool. Nice effort. clap56.gif I know what your saying. There seems to be allot of funny accounting in that compitition.
I wonder if a 914 done by the club with parts donated from across the country could qualify? Kind of a cross country buid.

Check this out for publicity. A shell from the coast moved across country by a reply of members. Each time the car reaches the next member parts are added. End result... Who Knows?
Is that a little over the top, I can never tell...
GRM1964
Is everything related with the clutch cable/pedal arm on assembly/clutch tube/firewall/bushing in clutch arm/pivot ball for clutch arm/ in good shape ??

Brad;

Thanks for the list of stuff to check. Won't have a chance to mess with the car until the new disc comes, hopefully 1st of the week. As I am installing it, I will go through the list of things you have suggested to see if everything is up to snuff. Thanks again man, you are a lifesaver.

Bill
GRM1964
I wonder if a 914 done by the club with parts donated from across the country could qualify? Kind of a cross country buid.

Rich;

Thanks for the words of support, it was a blast! Donated parts have to be incuded with a "fair market" price in your budget. Grassroots is in the process of making some changes to the rules for next year, so it is more of a builder's event, as opposed to a guy who sells parts just to meet a budget.

As a side note, there was a car club there, Team Mini Me, who are a bunch of rabid turbo Dodge guys that fielded an awesome little 1985 Dodge Omni Turbo. The finished in the top 5 , and ran an 11.6 in the quarter on nitrous! So a club type effort is possible, though I believe they all live close to one another.

Bill
Gint
Hhhheeeyyy!!!!

What about it?!?! MDB2.gif driving.gif flag.gif
seanery
I think the car would need to start west and then travel east.
Them CA guys cut up what most right coasters call "surface" rust!!

Then when it's all done the shakedown drive is across the country!
rick 918-S
Wouldn't it be grand...( Martin Short ) Didn't someone have a 150.00 shell for sale in California in the classifieds? Hummmm confused24.gif
seanery
If we "the 914 club dot com" did this, then the parts we "the club members" put on wouldn't be a donation, right?
So, the cost could be down real low.

Someone start a new thread and let's see where this goes! (I've got a tail shifter I'd put on)
Brad Roberts
OK reality check:

We dont get things done on our own cars.. how could we expect to build another one ??

I like the idea.. but it would take 3 years and a ton of travel time.

We get decent chassis' for free once a month.....

B
Gint
We dont get things done on our own cars.. how could we expect to build another one ??

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

MDB2.gif
seanery
No, really, I'm serious about this.
Mike T
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 23 2003, 09:00 PM)

B

Izzat me that's in line to buy it? Or someone else?

I still want to buy when you get to it...

Mike T
Brad Roberts
That would be you MikeT.

B
GRM1964
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 24 2003, 06:08 PM)

That would be you MikeT.

Well at least I know who I am behind in line rolleyes.gif

Bill
GRM1964
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 24 2003, 11:28 AM)

If we "the 914 club dot com" did this, then the parts we "the club members" put on wouldn't be a donation, right?
So, the cost could be down real low.

No such thing as a "donation" as far as the rules go. Everything must have a price. If a part is a donation or a gift, you must give it a fair market value as far as your budget goes. We have probably 200 hours in my car, and to be honest, it could have used another 40 or so to make things just right. It is a major undertaking, but it is a lot of fun. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them, but they are changing the rules for next year, which might affect what you would want to do.

Bill
Mike T
Bill, Post more pictures of your car. I wanna see the details.

Mike T (tearing my car apart again... smash.gif )
GRM1964
QUOTE(Mike T @ Apr 25 2003, 05:19 PM)
)

Bill, Post more pictures of your car. I wanna see the details.

Mike T (tearing my car apart again... :

I am hoping to put a few more up this weekend. It wasn't a pretty install but with budget constraints, we did the best we could. It wasn't much of a winner to start with.

Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.