Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would you use this bumper top on a freshly painted car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barada
Ok, Long story short. I tore my car apart on 5-28 with the goal of having it done by the end of the year. I also set a budget of 2K for new interior parts, paint, etc.We painted the car ourselves so so far I am running right on track. I do expect to go over though.

So far everything has done well expect when I took my bumpers apart the front Bumper top had 4-5 dents in the outer edge from bumping into things. I reached out to 914rubber for a new set and had planned on buying. Last night I noticed the bumper itself had a pretty tough dent in it behind where the top mounts. I was able to straighten it out enough to make work and when I brought the top up I thought, Can I straighten this?So I spent an hour working on it until it is not actually very straight. The surface area on it is fine, just was wavy.
Would you guys use it? The car will be a driver. I plan on having it at a few cruise in's and meets but I never show any of my cars. The rear will test my abilites so I do suspect I will have to buy one of those.
Here is a picture of it on the car prior to being removed. Not easy to see but you will notice it is wavy on the edge. And two more as it sits this morning.

Thanks for looking and letting my annoy you guys with questions.

Phillip
sean_v8_914
yes
JRust
Yeah I'd use it beer.gif
johannes
Looks very nice. There must be minimal rust inside. Most are wavy, yours looks much better than average

barada
QUOTE(johannes @ Aug 17 2011, 10:22 AM) *

Looks very nice. There must be minimal rust inside. Most are wavy, yours looks much better than average

Ok like the votes so far. This is the rear. I am going to play with it tonight. It has the two spots that are wavy.

As far as rust. It seems very strong internally. I beat on the front one with a sledge to get it back straight.

Phillip
barada
Had some time at lunch (working from home today) and got the rear suitable. I have two broken studs on the front one so will have to come up with a solution to fix that.
KELTY360
Here's some good suggestions. I've done this repair myself and if you take your time to align the bolt it works well.

Bumper top stud repair
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.