Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack point rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
I have a little rust and a crack on the bottom of the passenger side jack point.
Rest of longs, and hell hole is great.
Should I just have the bad spot cut out and reweld in new metal, or replace the whole jack point piece. If replacing the whole piece is the right way, how do you remove the old one? Cut/grind it out or drill out the spot welds?
Thanks,
Tom
rallysport70
Speaking as an "East Coaster," I don't even see any rust...... biggrin.gif
beech4rd
QUOTE(rallysport70 @ Aug 18 2011, 12:26 PM) *

Don't believe this guy. Your car is toast. Suggest you advertise it on Craigslist in the Mid Hudson Valley for about $500.00. The check and the truck will be at your house tomorrow.
windforfun
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Aug 18 2011, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(rallysport70 @ Aug 18 2011, 12:26 PM) *

Don't believe this guy. Your car is toast. Suggest you advertise it on Craigslist in the Mid Hudson Valley for about $500.00. The check and the truck will be at your house tomorrow.

blink.gif screwy.gif popcorn[1].gif lol-2.gif sunglasses.gif
r_towle
If that was me, I would cut off the bottom of the jack post.
For you, take a much closer look inside the jack post via the "drain hole" that IC is clogged with rust.
Clean that out with a pick and vacuum....then decide.

The problem is that the jack post is full, and has been full, of junk for many years...so the wall behind it is what most likely is rotted.

RIch
Drums66
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 18 2011, 12:04 PM) *

For you, take a much closer look inside the jack post via the "drain hole" that IC is clogged with rust.

The problem is that the jack post is full, and has been full, of junk for many years...so the wall behind it is what most likely is rotted.

RIch

...The rust has a plan to attack the longs!! idea.gif
bye1.gif
Tom
I'll order the whole jack point plate and when cutting out the rusty part see how far up behind it the rust goes and adjust replacement as necessary.
Thanks ,
Tom
Root_Werks
That isn't bad at all Tom. I never use stock jack ports myself. For me, it would be clean up as much as possible, treat with ospho (or is it osfo?), paint and be done with it.

I know your 914 sees very, very little rain. I don't think this is a big deal at all.
windforfun
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 19 2011, 01:21 PM) *

That isn't bad at all Tom. I never use stock jack ports myself. For me, it would be clean up as much as possible, treat with ospho (or is it osfo?), paint and be done with it.

I know your 914 sees very, very little rain. I don't think this is a big deal at all.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Drums66
.....Do it now or get fuched later...thats the way rust works idea.gif
bye1.gif (don't play with rust)
Tom
Dan,
Yep, I got caught in a light shower once!
The way I'm understanding is just cut/grind out the rust and preserve? I like that even better as I don't have a welder.
No, I never jack the car up with the jack points either. Just wanted to get the little bit of rust under control before it got out of hand. Had to remove the rockers to get the trailing arms off and noticed this.
Thanks to all for the suggestions,
Tom
jsaum
QUOTE(Tom @ Aug 19 2011, 02:15 PM) *

Dan,
Yep, I got caught in a light shower once!
The way I'm understanding is just cut/grind out the rust and preserve? I like that even better as I don't have a welder.
No, I never jack the car up with the jack points either. Just wanted to get the little bit of rust under control before it got out of hand. Had to remove the rockers to get the trailing arms off and noticed this.
Thanks to all for the suggestions,
Tom

Tom,

I have a small wire feed welder if you want to run a bead of weld across the crack.

Jsaum
Tom
Thanks for the offer Jsaum. I think I will do this the easy way and just get rid of the rust and see what I need to do after that. Hopefully just cutting/grinding and preserving will be enough.
Thanks,
Tom
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 18 2011, 12:04 PM) *

agree.gif

And that crack looks like it's rusted through. Clean that up and poke (hard) with a flat screw driver. If you can poke through around the crack, it's time for some cutting ...

sawzall-smiley.gif
avidfanjpl
I cut both out and had new ones installed with parts from the Canadian company.

It was worth it.

Both were packed with rust, but no damage to longs. It was good to know.

John

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.