Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If we're going to remake a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Stainless Steel - Made by Porsche to test out non corrosive materials - http://retro-motoring.blogspot.com/2009/09...-steel-car.html
Mike Bellis
I know a company in LA that will make you a Carbon Fiber Uni-body! it will cost you $$$$ though...
Cairo94507
I would like to find a place that dips the whole body to seal it like they do now when they are built. Does anyone do that?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 18 2011, 06:53 PM) *

I would like to find a place that dips the whole body to seal it like they do now when they are built. Does anyone do that?

There's a place near Fresno that has a BIG galvanizing tank. You would need an acid dip first, fix all the rust and then Galvanize dip.
Cairo94507
Mike,
Soda blasting won't do? I would prefer not to get the car dipped in acid...you never know it might disappear. Thanks. Michael
smontanaro
Porsche was hardly first to the stainless steel body game. To wit: 1936 Ford.
Rob-O
Not to mention that you'll lose the heater tubes if you don't cut off the longs and pull the tubes out first. Ask me how I know...
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 19 2011, 05:22 AM) *

Mike,
Soda blasting won't do? I would prefer not to get the car dipped in acid...you never know it might disappear. Thanks. Michael

you would have to acid dip it to get to all the places liquid will flow and soda blasting won't reach. ie: Longs
kharma
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Aug 19 2011, 12:48 PM) *

Pretty cool, I just saw one of these last weekend at the Saratoga Auto Museum. Apparently they made 6, there are 4 remaining.
smontanaro
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 19 2011, 04:34 PM) *
you would have to acid dip it to get to all the places liquid will flow and soda blasting won't reach. ie: Longs

Hmmm... Has anyone considered just dipping enough of the body to get to all those low down hidden places, like inside the longs, then using a milder method like soda blasting to do the rest of the body?

S
HarveyH
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Aug 19 2011, 12:48 PM) *

At the end of the 1960 production run Allegheny Ludnum contracted for two stainless steel 1960 Thunderbirds. The bodies were stamped on the production line at Budd in Philadelphia. Apparently both still exist, one at teh Heinz Museum in Pittsburgh, and I think Thyssen-Krupp took the second one when the Budd plant in Philadelphia closed. My father worked at Budd, but I don't know if he was involved in this project.

Article on the T-Birds

Harvey
charliew
Soda is only for removing paint and eventually body filler. Sand is for removing rust or acid. The acid dip was a trick in the late 60's to get drag cars weight down. The truck was to know how long to leave it in the bath to get the right thickness. I had two scout 800 gas tanks dipped at the radiator shop and one of them didn't come out of the solution. Also the acid dip will require a second solution to neutralize it, then the galvanize.

Ss is a lot heavier than mild steel, also it's a lot harder on the tooling.
bembry
I don't really even like 911s, but that car is a work of art!!! Absolutely beautiful!
URY914
Here's a Autocar that has been sitting outside in New Jersey for years....

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.