Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When brakes break and don't brake, er, break.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BRAVE_HELIOS
Old subject... just looking for any updates and opinions.

My car has a SBC (about 220-240 HP) installed along with 225/50/16's tires in the rear and 205/55/16's in the front. The brakes front and rear are stock.

I know at some point I will need to upgrade the brakes. Considering the engine/tire combo, what are some good choices? Thanks!

TT biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
4 lugs or 5?
without 911 (5-lug) struts your choices will be limited.
probably the vented-disk Brembo solution is what's available for 4-lug hubs.

911S or A calipers are reasonable-cost upgrades for the front. You'll need a 911-sized master cylinder (at least 19mm) to pull this off.

Few options in back. 914.6 or Ferrari 308's will let you keep the parking (emergency) brake. Or find a 911 rear 'M' caliper and find a way to make the E-brake work (it's been done).
VOX
i didnt know brembo made vented rotors for the 4 lug!, i wish i knew that before i bought new solid rotors. Is an upgraded caliper needed?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(VOX @ Aug 20 2011, 07:15 PM) *

...Is an upgraded caliper needed?

but of course biggrin.gif

Brembo Vented Rotor 3" aluminum caliper

However - don't get too excited yet - I seem to have mis-spoken a little...

These are aluminum (good) 3" (good) 911/914.6 'M'-sized calipers (end therefore not what I remembered - my bad...

I thought Eric (PMB Performance) had the elusive 'V'-caliper setup for vented 4-lug disks - but I couldn't find that on his site. So I've either remembered wrong (most likely) or they're not available just now.

Usually, Eric is along in a thread right after I've made a fool of myself to straighten things out, so we'll just wait for his (eventual) response...

I apologize for any confusion...
davep
Both Eric and I have V brake options for the rear. It does not increase the rear braking power but it does add significant thermal capacity; substantially reducing brake fade.
On the front, the choices are more limited. Unless you get custom machined hubs there are no vented front rotor options. Or you can get the 911 5 bolt front struts and gain all the brake options available there; normal, S or turbo can be fitted. Lots of caliper and rotor combos to suit any large budget. The Brembo calipers you linked to fit M struts but act as 911S calipers with S size pads. M & S calipers each have 48mm pistons but the S takes a larger pad.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 20 2011, 07:51 PM) *

...Unless you get custom machined hubs there are no vented front rotor options.

not to hikack the thread, but for completeness - wasn't there just such a set of vented-disk 4-bolt hubs in development? Actually, I thought they were real, at least at one time. I haven't followed that saga - what's the story? Thanks.
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 20 2011, 04:01 PM) *

4 lugs or 5?
without 911 (5-lug) struts your choices will be limited.
probably the vented-disk Brembo solution is what's available for 4-lug hubs.

911S or A calipers are reasonable-cost upgrades for the front. You'll need a 911-sized master cylinder (at least 19mm) to pull this off.

Few options in back. 914.6 or Ferrari 308's will let you keep the parking (emergency) brake. Or find a 911 rear 'M' caliper and find a way to make the E-brake work (it's been done).

More details... a 19mm MC is installed and although it is a 5 lug setup, this is accomplished via adaptors.
davep
5 lug adapters don't get you very far, you have to do it right or it is all wasted effort.

V-Calipers are Here!, Rear Calipers and Kits for Vented Rotors
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=40951

The *ULTIMATE* M-Caliper Upgrade, Perfect for 914-6's
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94047

The 914 5-Lug 911 Suspension Question and Answer Thread
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728

Billet hubs ( go to last posts for the latest info)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=29560
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.