Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarkG
My '76 should be here in 10 days or so, want to remove the heavy bumpers and replace with fibregalss units.

Any input on best quality 916 bumpers (or even early style bumpers in glass)? I see several suppliers out there.

Thanks!
Bigbohr
I have or have seen FG stuff from Tweeks, Rennspeed and Pelicanparts, and would recommend Tweeks. More expensive but quality seems better. Be warned that it took them a looooooong time to deliver. It looks like Pelican sells the same stuff as Tweeks. At least the PP rockers look like family of the Tweeks 916 rear bumper.
propricer
Also consider going directly to the manufacturers such as AIR ( www.americaninternationalracing.com ) at 626.969.7733
or
GT Racing ( www.gt-racing.com ) at 800.797.2911

Both are good ...
Phoenix-MN
I used Tweeks parts and they were POS, but in all fairness I think they have several suppliers and the ones I received took about 40 hours of work to fit right. I have many pictures of the poor fit and the work I did to get them to fit right. I talked directly with the supplier and they wouldn't give me the time of day and Tweeks would not let me return them since I had them for 6 months (should have test fitted them right away - my fault)
Bottom line - fiberglass parts vary greatly from one supplier to another, they are all going to need work to fit good.
Paul
smg914
If you decide to purchase the glass GT bumpers, be aware that some are sold without any attachment brackets (GT Racing). For these you have to purchase brackets seperate and have someone attach them to the bumpers before you can put them on your car. There are other places that sell them with the brackets already attached.
jgiroux67
I just got f/g 916 front and rear bumpers, gt rockers, full front fenders, rear flares from rennspeed. They are of pretty good quality but have a whole lot of fitting that is needed. Also the bumpers came with mounts molded in, but they didnt match up correctly so im gonna have to make some adjustments.
maf914
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Jul 9 2004, 04:55 PM)
I have many pictures of the poor fit and the work I did to get them to fit right.

Paul

Paul,

I would be interested, and I think others would too, in seeing your photos of the work you did to fit your fiberglass pieces. Post them if you can. Thanks.
Phoenix-MN
Front shot - top should be straight with no sags. Was taken out of the mold too soon.
Phoenix-MN
Large gap from top of bumper to top of hood
Phoenix-MN
Right side - No comment
Phoenix-MN
Left side - no comment
Phoenix-MN
I used high density urathane foam to build up the surfaces
Phoenix-MN
After adding all the foam
Phoenix-MN
After shaping
Phoenix-MN
After fiberglassing, filling, sanding, and priming
Phoenix-MN
The rear bumper did not require much fiberglass work but did require one heck of a lot of triming to fit properly. The finished parts can be seen at http://phoenixhobbies.com/html/project_914.html under paint work.

Paul
maf914
Paul, Thanks for the photos. Good job. It looks like you know what you're doing. I would not have known where to start a repair like that. It's a shame that after spending two to three hundred for the bumper you still have to rebuild it to fit right.

Where can one buy high density urathane foam?

BTW, I visited your site. Great project and great work. Did you do the painting yourself? In the garage? How did you keep the garage clean of overspray?

What is the status of your car now?
Phoenix-MN
I got the foam at Composite Structures Tecnology CST, I've done all the body and paint work myself (learned from a buddy that was a professional body man) Garage is a mess blink.gif but what the heck. I have the front and rear deck lids back on, the wiring harness back in, front and rear suspension attached, tails lights installed, driving lights installed along with horns and today I'm working on getting the fuel and brake lines bent and installed. Tomorrow the steering rack and turbo tie rods go in and I will finish up with the duct work for the radiator. Now that most of the "big jobs" are out of the way, assembly goes rather quick biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.