Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lube?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Razorbobsr
The parts of the shift linkage and are under the very rear of the car... Catch alot of road crud, dirt, etc, I cleaned mine off today while thinking of that top starter bolt but now I wonder???????? Lube?? With?? How often? Thanks, Bob
Drums66
.....My rule is.......anything outside the boots or protective cover(don't lube) idea.gif bushings lightly with, silicone or white lithium idea.gif
and I've never had issues concerning this!!(decades)
bye1.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Aug 22 2011, 01:13 PM) *

The parts of the shift linkage and are under the very rear of the car... Catch alot of road crud, dirt, etc, I cleaned mine off today while thinking of that top starter bolt but now I wonder???????? Lube?? With?? How often? Thanks, Bob

You don't say what year car or what kind of transmission...
Tailshift cars are supposed to have a black plastic shroud around the linkage bits.
Like most '70's plastic these didn't fare well with north American UV and ozone.
They were also kinda fragile to start with, and held in place only by a rubber O-ring (that wasn't any more exposure-proof than the enclosure).

They've been NLA for years, but you might have a look at the parts book to see what they once looked like. I always thought you might be able to make some kind of shield / bag out of a chamois or something.

Those parts were originally greased, and the shroud kept the grease in and the grit out.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 22 2011, 02:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Aug 22 2011, 01:13 PM) *

You don't say what year car or what kind of transmission...
Tailshift cars are supposed to have a black plastic shroud around the linkage bits.
Like most '70's plastic these didn't fare well with north American UV and ozone.
They were also kinda fragile to start with, and held in place only by a rubber O-ring (that wasn't any more exposure-proof than the enclosure).

They've been NLA for years, but you might have a look at the parts book to see what they once looked like. I always thought you might be able to make some kind of shield / bag out of a chamois or something.

Those parts were originally greased, and the shroud kept the grease in and the grit out.
75 2L No plastic thingy on mine, not at all hard to reach, could be cleaned and lubed in nice slacks and shirt. Bob
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Aug 22 2011, 03:27 PM) *

75 2L No plastic thingy on mine, not at all hard to reach, could be cleaned and lubed in nice slacks and shirt

Aha. Sideshift. I don't know nothin' 'bout no sideshifters.
Cupomeat
Side shifter should have covers over all the moving/sliding bits.

There should be a rubber boot on the firewall bushing that covers the connector.

There should be a large 4"x4"x2' black plastic cover that goes on the side shift mechanism.

Buy them both, lube the bits that slide and don't worry about it.

I hope that helps.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 22 2011, 03:57 PM) *

Side shifter should have covers over all the moving/sliding bits.

There should be a rubber boot on the firewall bushing that covers the connector.

There should be a large 4"x4"x2' black plastic cover that goes on the side shift mechanism.

Buy them both, lube the bits that slide and don't worry about it.

I hope that helps. Dont have that boot, can they be bought? Bob

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.