Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which starter needed for conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
My '74 is in the process of being converted to a 6, using a '79 3.0 SC motor. I'm assuming my old starter won't have the torque to spin the six. I am also concerned whether the ring gear has a different tooth engagement than the 4 cylinder engine had.

To further complicate things, I am using a Kennedy conversion flywheel, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Does anyone know what would be the highest torque and most dependable starter to use?

Thanks in advance.
Cap'n Krusty
A 911 SC starter will work just fine if Kennedy's flywheels are made to work with a stock 911/914 tranny.

The Cap'n
moparrob
Thanks Cap'n.

I wish my engine came with a starter but it didn't.

Is the stock Bosch starter the best one to use or has someone come up with a newer/better starter, perhaps higher torque or some such thing?
moparrob
This one looks too good to be true. Right price and high torque.

ebay auction for starter

Does anyone have any experience with these?

rfuerst911sc
The hi-torque can be a good addition as they are generally smaller , lighter in weight and stronger. However some folks have had problems with them shearing off ring gear teeth because the tooth engagement was not correct. For my SC I bought mine from Pelican because I was confident they would sell the correct one. That was several years ago and no problems at all. When it came to my 914 with a 3.0 and Kennedy adaptation I didn't feel confident using one of these. So I purchased a OEM Porsche turbo starter which for over a year now has been working great. As long as you get good tooth engagement any starter will work. Knowing you are getting good engagement is another story dry.gif
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(moparrob @ Aug 27 2011, 10:46 PM) *

This one looks too good to be true. Right price and high torque.

ebay auction for starter

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I just installed one to cure a hot start prob, have used them on my Hi Po British cars. Drove 350 miles this past Sat to go to 914 cook out in Portage Ind[good time!] Started every time! Bob
moparrob
I have the engine and trans out of the car at present. I know they give you a 2mm spacer to use to help with the issue, IIRC.

Is there any easy way to check if the alignment of the pinion and ring gear is correct while it is out of the car?
dion9146
I bought a used SC starter from a local guy. It spins my 3.2 with PLENTY of power.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(moparrob @ Aug 27 2011, 07:32 PM) *

Thanks Cap'n.

I wish my engine came with a starter but it didn't.

Is the stock Bosch starter the best one to use or has someone come up with a newer/better starter, perhaps higher torque or some such thing?

I understand you don't have a starter of any kind. My point is the SC starter will work and it's appropriate for this use. The only downside may be its weight. It won't eat the ring gear, fits squarely on the mounting without shimming, and there's no fitment or modification issues.

The Cap'n
SLITS
I think I do this one more time for shits and giggles ......

The /4 starter was used on 911s in alternate years (SR17X). At times Porsche felt they needed a larger starter for the /6 (SR68X). Both are Bosch Rebuilt Numbers. I could get the Lester numbers & Bosch OEM but don't have them handy. SR17X is 0.8 kW and SR68X is 1.2 kW.

Robert Bosch GMbH does not rebuild the starters directly in the US. They contract with other existing rebuilders and supposedly these other rebuilders do the same quality rebuild and I do say "supposedly".

In this day and age, with minimal profits, lifetime guarantees and Chinese imports, many shortcuts are applied to "rebuilt" units by the various entities that "rebuild". The public demanded low price and guarantees and got what they wanted ....

Hi-torque starters are made by at least two entities.

The IMI Brand was started by Isom Brothers Rebuilders in Whittier, CA. They use a Hitachi Gear Reduction and machine a new nose to fit the application. There have been fitment issues with these starters and they use several different kW units. IMI was turned over to someone else before Isom Brothers went out of business a few years ago. They are out of Riverside, CA now. I have one but am reluctant to install it on a car.

R&B Performance (Parker, AZ) also uses a gear reduction starter but he (Ron) uses the Nippondenso starter. His process is careful and no fitment issues have arisen. A lot of his starters are sold at swap meets in California / Arizona. He travels to all of them. Also, you won't get them for $119.00 .... his are about $165 at the swap meets. I know him personally and trust his components. His units can be ordered direct.

I'm done.
moparrob
This one is the Nippondenson per the auction...
Ericv1
QUOTE(moparrob @ Aug 29 2011, 12:49 PM) *

This one is the Nippondenson per the auction...

I bought this starter 2 years ago from this vendor. I didn't have any fitment issues and have had no troubles up to this point. I think I paid about $140 plus shipping.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.