Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POLO Engined 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
71six
Has anyone built a 914 with the Polo four cylinder engine made by Advance Performance Engineering? Looks ideal for a teener beer.gif
Mark
type47
link to pics and info?
VaccaRabite
http://www.advanceperformanceeng.com/about_us

It has been talked about in the past, when his engines were strictly 1 off pieces.

When I saw this thread I thought you were talking about the engine out of a VW Polo. I had to google Advance Performance Engineering.

I am guessing that they have all the $$$ features of a 6 conversion with 2/3rds the power of the 6 conversion. In other words, I don't see the point of it in a 914.

Zach
Dave_Darling
Oh, the Popolous engine! Yeah, those are really really cool. More expensive than a Six as I recall, and you still have most of the same issues you get with a Six. (Mounting, oil tank, cooling tin, etc.) And you get about 2/3 of the power of a Six. They're designed for spaces which are too tight for a 911 engine (e.g., the engine bay of a 356) without modification, and they work amazingly well there.

Not much point to doing one in a 914, though. You could do a Six for less money and get more power. So unless you're after the "wow factor" (which is certainly a valid reason!) I would skip it. Looks like most 914 owners feel that way, too.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 29 2011, 05:49 AM) *
When I saw this thread I thought you were talking about the engine out of a VW Polo.

agree.gif Me too ... biggrin.gif

As for the engine above, i would tend to agree that for the same money (or less) you can get a real /6 engine with more power.

Unlike the 356, the 914 engine compartment was designed for the /6 engine.
shades.gif
71six
I think the compelling reason for the conversion would be the fact that it is over 100 lbs lighter than a six and can generate over 200hp reliably. This would equate into better weight distribution plus perhaps one would be able to run various wheel/tire combinations due to better front/rear weight bias. Also reinforced 901 transmission would be sufficient.
Mark
Eric_Shea
You could be the first! biggrin.gif

A 3.0 with carbs and headers can pull a very strong (torque) 200+ HP reliably as well. Engineered by Porsche in the 914-6. wink.gif
VaccaRabite
Don't get me wrong, its way cool.
Just not for a 914. Our engine bays are BIG and the added weigh of the "extra" two cylinders does not hurt much being low and centered.

In a bug, or a 356, or a 904 kit that would be killer, assuming you had the bankroll.

Zach
mepstein
Because it's kewl.
JmuRiz
I'm guessing this came up due to the Pelican Parts thread where someone is putting one in his 912.
They were first created to make a hot motor for outlaw 356s that didn't want to hack up the chassis.

The lower weight is awesome, but the cost is staggering.
Eric_Shea
That guy's a customer... in Denver. Custom calipers all around. All sorts of little tricks in that build.
rohar
The punch line is that the VW Polo 1.4 can be tuned to the same HP for much less money. And they fit in a teener without cutting any of the rear sheet metal.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 29 2011, 11:59 AM) *

That guy's a customer... in Denver. Custom calipers all around. All sorts of little tricks in that build.

I KNEW it!
He posted pictures of his Brembos and I knew they had to be yours. Good work!
nein14
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 29 2011, 12:40 PM) *

Because it's kewl.

That is the Ultimate Cool conversion but if money were no object I would twin turbo charge it!!!! piratenanner.gif
Elliot Cannon
I saw these at a booth at a swap meet once. It was $25,000.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 29 2011, 01:58 PM) *

I saw these at a booth at a swap meet once. It was $25,000.

For that money you could weld two 3.6L /6 together and make it a flat 12 with 600HP!!! blink.gif
CMONNETT
The Polo engine looks cool in a 356, but it's what you call cubic dollars.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(CMONNETT @ Aug 29 2011, 05:38 PM) *

The Polo engine looks cool in a 356, but it's what you call cubic dollars.

I bet its cheaper then a 356 carrera rebuild.

Maybe.

Zach
nsr-jamie
That is super cool !! I think it would be cool to have a lot more power yet still keep it a 4 cylinder car and the cooling fan is sweet too...but not sure about the cost...if I were rich I would love one of those engines, heck I would probably have a bunch of 914's and sixes as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.