Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Number 3 is dead thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
So my daily driver is now dead on number 3

Engine : Bone stock 1.8 liter w/ L-jet (1974)

2 days ago I am driving as usuall, pushing it pretty hard 4k rpm for about an hour in 5th gear, i notice a loss of power, number three is dead. I pull the plug wire while running and no difference.

so

I park it overnight and do a valve adjustment in the morning. Number 3 is still dead. I pull the plug and look at it. It is black as hell and not shiny or oily. dull black. I pop in a new plug. still dead. I switch the injector leads from front to back. still #3. I swap injectors from the same side. still #3

this means no compression right? I blink.gif just did the adjustment the night before and it was .006 on intake and exhaust. How can the adjustment be perfect and the cylinder be dead.??? confused24.gif

last note: on the dead cylinder, if i pull the injector lead from that one, the rpm drop fatally as if it were only running on 2. but as i said it makes no difference if the plug wire is on or not.

What gives??

ar15.gif

i guess the motor is comming out again, but what am i looking for icon8.gif
VaccaRabite
Compression test. But you know what it is gong to say. Leakdown test will show you where it is leaking (head, valves or rings).
Is it rattling or knocking?

Of course I think you should stop effort into your doomed 1.8 and build the 2056.
Zach
Drums66
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 2 2011, 10:01 AM) *

Compression test. But you know what it is gong to say. Leakdown test will show you where it is leaking (head, valves or rings).
Is it rattling or knocking?

.......Echo-.....is it rattling or knocking?(to give a more accurate internet diagnosis) idea.gif
bye1.gif
underthetire
Was the #3 exhaust valve adjuster further out than the rest? Thats usually a pretty good give away of a burned/sunken valve. Ask me how i know..
r_towle
Have you checked that your number 3 spark plug is firing by grounding out the body of the plug while cranking the motor?

How is the distributor cap?
How is the rotor?
How are the grounds for the injectors?
Are you getting fuel at that injector?
Sounds like it may be less complicated????

Rich
markb
Plug wire?
jsayre914
engine is knocking.

plug is new, wire gives a good arc when touched to ground.

compression tester is lost in garage. (will find)

when i did the valve adjustment on that cylinder it was a bit tight but nothing out of the ordinary. It was really close

thanks for the imput
beerchug.gif popcorn[1].gif
Dave_Darling
How does the starter sound? If you really do have a dead hole, the starter won't make noise when that piston is at TDC. So the starter will go "RR-RR-RR-..-RR-RR-RR-.." That's when I figured out about my last dropped valve seat.

--DD
Dr Evil
Having had my hands on and in that 1.8 of your, I echo the sentiment I told you years ago. Build that damn 2056 already and stop pissing away time and money on that tired 1.8 grenade.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 3 2011, 09:55 PM) *

stop pissing away time and money on that tired 1.8 grenade.

sad2.gif

poke.gif Motor comes out Tues evening
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 4 2011, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 3 2011, 09:55 PM) *

stop pissing away time and money on that tired 1.8 grenade.

sad2.gif

poke.gif Motor comes out Tues evening

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
saigon71
Excellent! beerchug.gif I look forward to the 2056 build thread. popcorn[1].gif
jsayre914
Thank you Zach (Vaca Rabbite) and Mike (Kirmizi)

They just offerd to rip into my car with me tommorow. beerchug.gif biggrin.gif

but,

I have a soccer game after school and its not gonna happen. It is amazing the things that club members will do for others. I didnt even ask for help biggrin.gif

Thanks guys !!!
first.gif
Kirmizi
Next time Joe! Or better yet, have the 2056 built by the time I come back!!
Mike beerchug.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 2 2011, 11:52 AM) *

this means no compression right? I blink.gif just did the adjustment the night before and it was .006 on intake and exhaust. How can the adjustment be perfect and the cylinder be dead.??? confused24.gif

Let me tell you Joe,

First you should not be enjoying the "Raging Bitch" while adjusting your valves. You could get some dirt in your bottle, or, you could totaly #$%# up on that paticular valve. Heck you could make both of the valves on #3 too tight.

chair.gif

Second, you should try the Captains method using a felt tip marker and doing the entire adjustment without even taking the distributor cap off.

smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks Capt it now runs like a champ. I was ripping up the pavement on my way in to work this morning. driving.gif I even passed a boxter going "slightly faster" then he was. laugh.gif

Its turning into a pretty good day
shades.gif

p.s.
This is the first time I have ever responded to my own post biggrin.gif
jsayre914
dead again.... sad.gif .... 300 miles later.

dry.gif

at least i only have 60 miles left to get home

blink.gif
VaccaRabite
Joe is brave. I have off and offered to tow him home but he elected to drive her back on 3.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 10 2011, 02:50 PM) *

but he elected to drive her back on 3.

again chair.gif
jsayre914
idea.gif Do you guys think its possible to adjust the valves on that one cilinder without jacking the car. It is paralel parked but i got about 2-3 feet in front and back, i am pretty sure i could squeez my head in front of the tire pop the cover and tweak the valve. assuming i am about to drop the seat, i would much rather go out with a bang than a put put put...

popcorn[1].gif

stirthepot.gif
VaccaRabite
Dude.
You got 300 miles last time.

Its done. Pull it. Besides, I need the intake parts from it. smile.gif

Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 10 2011, 06:12 PM) *

Dude.
You got 300 miles last time.

Its done. Pull it. Besides, I need the intake parts from it. smile.gif

Zach

I would not give those 300 miles up for anything biggrin.gif poke.gif

you didnt answere my question....

can i do the adjustment somehow with all 4 wheels on the ground????

popcorn[1].gif
Dr Evil
Nah, just put a few of these on rolleyes.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 10 2011, 06:22 PM) *

Nah, just put a few of these on rolleyes.gif

Thank you for the advice sir Evil, I have already bandaged this one 2 times beerchug.gif and its still going..... kinda

Dead Thread # 2

Dead Thread #1

rolleyes.gif bye1.gif
Dr Evil
Um, ya I know. I helped once. Remember? smoke.gif blink.gif
jsayre914
The numbers of the day....

Chamber 1 98

Chamber 2 93

Chamber 3 65

Chamber 4 127

This engine has been officially cancled ar15.gif

Zach, you are welcome to my L-jet, fuel pump, distributor, all parts you need. (as long as I dont need them)

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.....

JOES 2056 THREAD
VaccaRabite
You probably need the fuel pump, unless you still have the pump from your 2.0.

Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 11 2011, 02:04 PM) *

The numbers of the day....

Chamber 1 98

Chamber 2 93

Chamber 3 65

Chamber 4 127

This engine has been officially cancled ar15.gif

rolleyes.gif I have been waiting almost a month to get my engine case back from the shop for the 2056 build, soooo .... I was playing with the 1.8 with the engine still in the car. Did a valve adjustment and set the timing, it fired right up.

Once it had idled for about 15min, I pulled the plugs and did a compression test with the plugs out and the pedal to the metal and a fully charged battery(s)

The numbers were

#1 130
#2 125
#3 65
#4 130

stirthepot.gif slap.gif

If I have to keep waiting and waiting, I have to work on at least 1 engine. rolleyes.gif Also to note all plugs were slightly white except #3 wich was black

What are all the possibilities of what has happend to the cylinder??

p.s. Zach how soon do you need these parts, how far did you get with yours??
jsayre914
c'mon guys...

Burnt valve?
Broken valve?
Seat?

What????

I know that the rocker arms are moving exactly like all the rest, and the adjusters are jut like any other cylinder also. What the heck could it be??

I am pulling engine this weekend, just want to know what to look for

beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
I need the parts when you pull the engine, which I will help with if you give me lead time.

I've love to say I need them now, but I am neck deep in prepping the new nursery and making Theo's Christmas present. I am hoping to start on the engine in January.

zach
VaccaRabite
Oh, and the bum compression may be a valve seat that is failing. You can only tighten it up so many times before you will drop it.

Zach
Dr Evil
Are these #s on the same tired 1.8?
messix
broken rings/ring lands will bleed off compression and make a weak cylinder.

check the oil for gas in it.
jsayre914
YUP!
Im DONE !!

This engine has retired officially.... again chair.gif chair.gif

At least I tried biggrin.gif

A picture is worh a hundred beers wacko.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

welcome.png
Dr Evil
Was this the 2056?
jsayre914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 27 2011, 09:38 PM) *

Was this the 2056?

NO

This was the latest bandaid on my 1.8 that I have been brining back to life every few weeks.

I am not ashamed of my stupidity, but... I will not put any more money into this one.

For now, I will keep drinking my Belgian Beer.

I am still waiting to get my case and cylinders back from the machinest on my 2056, once recieved, I am building that and slappin it in.

driving.gif
VaccaRabite
Ahem....

Told ya so. :-)

Zach
Dr Evil
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Dec 27 2011, 09:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 27 2011, 09:38 PM) *

Was this the 2056?

NO

This was the latest bandaid on my 1.8 that I have been brining back to life every few weeks.

I am not ashamed of my stupidity, but... I will not put any more money into this one.

For now, I will keep drinking my Belgian Beer.

I am still waiting to get my case and cylinders back from the machinest on my 2056, once recieved, I am building that and slappin it in.

driving.gif

Oh, in that case....

I DONT CARE tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.