Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door panel plastic water barrier
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biker bob
Replacing the plastic that keeps the water off the door panel. What do you use to attach the plastic to the inter door? Something that will allow me to remove the plastic in the future. Thanks
budk
I always use RTV. Get one that sets up as quickly as possible if you go that route.
Tom
From the classics section.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=39370
Tom
julian914
I have used and suggest butyl tape. it will make a water/air tight seal which can be pulled off with no residue if you have too. Easiest place to buy it is through fiberglass supply places because it is used for vacuum forming parts. It may be available in other places, but I’m not sure.
Black22
I used double sided scotch tape. Easily applied and you can take the plastic off and on easily. When it's not sticky anymore, apply some more. I've easily taken the plastic off 10 or more times and the first round of tape still holds like new. It's a clean install too.
cary
QUOTE(julian914 @ Sep 4 2011, 09:41 AM) *

I have used and suggest butyl tape. it will make a water/air tight seal which can be pulled off with no residue if you have too. Easiest place to buy it is through fiberglass supply places because it is used for vacuum forming parts. It may be available in other places, but I’m not sure.

Ditto, you can get it a NAPA. Comes in a roll with a tape backing for installation.
vtursi60
QUOTE(biker bob @ Sep 4 2011, 12:34 PM) *

Replacing the plastic that keeps the water off the door panel. What do you use to attach the plastic to the inter door? Something that will allow me to remove the plastic in the future. Thanks

I use 3 m spray glue works real good .
SLITS
spray glue, Permatex hi-tack gasket sealant ... anything that sticks it to the door
76-914
Is this where I stick my 2 cents in? I used contact cement. If you buy it in the small brown glass bottle your getting screwed. Lowe's and HD have it in pt. cans and it is 5 times cheaper. You just have to look for it. Apply 1/2" band with small acid brush then lay down the plastic. Just as others have mentioned; you can remove and replace the membrane several times w/o reapplying adhesive.
ellisor3
If you don't care about it being original, I used fiberglass resin and coated the entire panel. Never have to worry about water and makes it stronger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.