Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber vs. L-tronic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
OK, how would current 1.8L EFI compare to single weber 32/36 of to a pair of IDF 40's?

I'm not going radical, can I get to 9.5 to 1 and some cam with the EFI?

How much power vs. 32/36 or vs. IDF's?

thanks
Jake Raby
The 32/36 is a terrible carb! It only flows 180 CFM Vs. the Weber 40 at 212 CFM per carb, even with a 28mm venturi.

All that extra air means better drivability and gas mileage.

Single carbs suck.
qa1142
any idea what stock 1.8 EFI could flow?
Jake Raby
airflow doesn't matter that much with EFI, since the air does not have to be atomized..

Lets just say that, its not enough to build a safe performance engine- thats the best way to explain it.

If you want FI, wait for Kit Carlson to make his set up attainable, and then go for it.... I'm putting FI back on the 912E, and ONLY because of his system.
thomasotten
What is unsafe about fuel injection?
Jake Raby
If it leans out at ANY RPM, you may aw well open the wallet and start over..

when you have to purposely build the engine inefficient just to keep the injection happy-it is just not cool.

This has been discussed all over the net, and I won't go over it all again when all the searches work so well on this and other forums..
thomasotten
Ok, thanks, I thought you meant unsafe as in high pressure fuel lines busting and causing 914 to go aflame.
jgiroux67
Jake,
What is your opinion on using dual webers on a stock 73 2.0L? What would be better to use 40's or 44's. How much of a performance increase would it give in hp,tq, and throttle response? Would it even be worth it?

-Josh
Jake Raby
A 100% bone stock engine loses a little throttle response with carbs, mainly becaus eof the suck ass camshaft! 40s works well on a stocker, but 44s can be detuned to work well and allow for expansion later.
jgiroux67
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 13 2004, 09:06 PM)
A 100% bone stock engine loses a little throttle response with carbs, mainly becaus eof the suck ass camshaft! 40s works well on a stocker, but 44s can be detuned to work well and allow for expansion later.

So what cam shaft would you advise and how much quicker of feel would it have with it and the 44's
Aaron Cox
i have 44's on a 2.0 w/ a mild cam. (forgot specs, dad said it was mild compared to cams available...little overlap, mild lift) runs great above 2 k, my idle jets are too large, so i need to change them out for smaller ones.

jake. is there a good config of jets i could swap for great drivability
i bought 2 new 44's (so stock config)
so i assume i have 55 idles,

whats a good base line to start with? confused24.gif
Jake Raby
I have 43 camshafts that we use effectively with carbs... No two drivers or engines or even cars should be the same...

Camshaft selection must be made based upon the rest of the engine- camshafts are always chosen AFTER everything else.

For a weber 44 with a stock 36mm vent try this
55 idle
135 main
F11 emulsion
200 air corrector

Most carbs come jetted way too rich, these jets are what 95% of my engines from 2056- 2615 really like.
Aaron Cox
thanks...ill use that as a baseline wink.gif
Jake Raby
what size is the engine? I may have a better combo if you have something that is stock or near stock with 44s
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 14 2004, 07:29 AM)
what size is the engine? I may have a better combo if you have something that is stock or near stock with 44s

its a 2.0 w/ euro flat pistons. bought brand new weber 44's. havent changed anything on them. a mild carb cam.
Jake Raby
Ok, this one is better for you

32mm vents
125 mains
50 idles
F11
200 air

Timing at 28-30 BTDC @ 3500 RPM
seanery
hey carb man, how bout this one:

96mm 8.9:1 pistons
webcam 494
Weber 40's

this was running really rich before (with euro 94s), have to go look see what's in it now.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 14 2004, 08:11 AM)
Ok, this one is better for you

32mm vents
125 mains
50 idles
F11
200 air

Timing at 28-30 BTDC @ 3500 RPM

pefect. thanks jake smile.gif
Jake Raby
Use the same specs as above for the 32mm vents..
seanery
Thanks Jake!

It's too bad all you do is push your product on everyone. I really wish you were more involved in what others were doing! wink.gif

Your presence is greatly appreciated here.
Jake Raby
Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.