Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Fuel Line Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gskinner
Question 1 - I'm in the process of replacing the fuel lines among other things and wanted to verify that I am installing the right type of lines. The old fuel line that I tore out of the engine compartment looked like it had 3 layers - rubber - some type of cloth fibers - and another layer of rubber. The new stuff I purchased looks more like a vacuum hose (cloth over the rubber hose). I asked specifically for high-pressure fuel hose to handle 30 psi and was assured that I was getting the right line. Does this sound right?

Question 2 - can I test my fuel pump by connecting it directly to the battery? If its malfunctioning, how difficult is it to rebuild these things? I see rebuilt units on ebay all the time and was wondering if its worthwhile/possible to try and fix myself.

Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(gskinner @ Jul 13 2004, 07:55 PM)
1) Does this sound right?

2) can I test my fuel pump by connecting it directly to the battery?  If its malfunctioning, how difficult is it to rebuild these things?  I see rebuilt units on ebay all the time and was wondering if its worthwhile/possible to try and fix myself.

1) NO. don't use the cloth covered fuel line for the pressure side of things. use the "rubber/something else/rubber" line with a smooth outside finish!
also, make sure you use the *right* kind of clamps on those lines, you need to get FI clamps (flat surface around the hose, no slots etc.)

2) YES. you can jump the pump for testing. as for the rebuild, i simply bought a used one from the local wrecking yard. mucho cheaper and faster.

wink.gif Andy
tod914
If you can find a foriegn auto parts store near you, they should have the high pressure braided fuel line in either 7 or 8 mm inner diameter. NAPA has the the same line except in 5/16 ID. Might be a little loose though. Like Andy said, center has the braiding, the inner and outer are rubber.
Joe Ricard
Replaced all my fuel line with high pressure 150psi stuff from the pump to injectors and pressure regulator. once piece to the 1st fuel rail. Then got regular fuel line good to 50 psi on the return side. for my 70 I used 5/16" not loose. Used new clamps throuh out.
dakotaewing
Guys,
What are you using to replace the line that goes through the tunnel?

Thanks -Thom
gskinner
Thom -

Take a look at this thread - I think it might answer your question. BTW - I'm right down the road from Richardson, maybe we could meet up some weekend.

Thread on center tunnel fuel lines
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.