Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help me identify a couple pieces
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
I picked up a fully intact donor engine (72 1.7l) and am tearing it apart for parts and fun. I've hit a couple items that I don't know what they are. can you help identify?

#1 - up first is a vacuum hose junction. you can see it attached to the fan shroud near the oil filler. My DD is also a 72 1.7l but this piece is quite different. curious about the change. any info?
Click to view attachment

#2 - this is some kind of heat activated spring that controls the flappers on the cooling tins. what do you call this thing?
Click to view attachment

#3 - finally, this came in a bag of loose parts with engine, so I don't know the location. it looks familiar, but I can't seem to find it on my driver.
Click to view attachment
stugray
#2 is a thermostat

#3 is the cover for the shift linkage where it comes out the firewall.
clow

1. I don't have anymore info other than its a junction
2. Its a thermostat that controls the heater flaps. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=30107
3. Could be where the shift rod meets the tranny?Thats my Guess

Cheers
914werke
#1 is commonly known as a flashback valve.

Your thermostat appears to be toast.
bradtho
thanks all. super helpful as always.

how can you tell the thermostat is toast? its been covered in oil, so I really haven't bothered messing with it yet (plenty of other things to figure out).
wingnut86
any time the thermostat is completely spread out from end to end of the assembly mount/bracket, then your thermostat is bad.

make sure your bracket is good and square, but I agree that it' looks bad.

Fully collapsed it usually leaves a good bit of space on the end where the cable feeds in.

Buy another one...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.