Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel house repair?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mzalanka
Wondering which wheel house parts I should purchase to do my repair. AAs catalog looks like it has both panels that make up the inner wheel house (quoted, "pieces overlap for extra strength"). Restoration Design's website makes it sound like their part welds to to existing engine bay panel. Anyone have any experience with replacing these parts?

Also, should the suspension console be removed to do the repair, or can it stay on?

Thanks.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jimkelly
check this out

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

draganc
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 12 2011, 03:08 AM) *

agree.gif

and

welcome.png

and welcome to the madness :-)

check out: http://www.restoration-design.com/installation_ss346.htm#

I think you will need at least # 330, 331, 301R and 346R.

how is the engine bay tray and the battery tray?

use the search function for "hell hole" - that's what you have.

dragan

ps: since you have a rather large hole just by the suspension console and the rest looks very bad, I would guess that you will have to make a jig for it and remove the console while fixing the rest.

mzalanka
The hell hole is in surprisingly decent shape, compared with the lower wheel house. After I do some wire-brushing, I'll know where I'm at. I'll definitely need to do some patching, but nothing as major as what's below. I'm planning to open the pass side long (with that hole, it's open already), but it's nowhere near as bad as the wheel house.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Thanks for the tips on parts. I was planning on a long stiffener, either from RD or Brad Mayeur. I'll probably add one to the driver's side as well, although that side looks pretty rust-free. I'm not planning, at this point, to open the longs on that side.

Michelko's thread is amazing. If I can do half as good a job as him, I'll be happy. smile.gif

So, start with the inner longs, and work from there?
Jeffs9146
I have a #330 new that I ended up not using on my restoration if you wan't to save a little bit of money!

$45 plus shipping from 94505!
r_towle
QUOTE(mzalanka @ Sep 12 2011, 12:03 PM) *

The hell hole is in surprisingly decent shape, compared with the lower wheel house. After I do some wire-brushing, I'll know where I'm at. I'll definitely need to do some patching, but nothing as major as what's below. I'm planning to open the pass side long (with that hole, it's open already), but it's nowhere near as bad as the wheel house.

Thanks for the tips on parts. I was planning on a long stiffener, either from RD or Brad Mayeur. I'll probably add one to the driver's side as well, although that side looks pretty rust-free. I'm not planning, at this point, to open the longs on that side.

Michelko's thread is amazing. If I can do half as good a job as him, I'll be happy. smile.gif

So, start with the inner longs, and work from there?

That top picture shows that the upper long is wrong and covered up in tar or undercoating.
For one thing, there is a drain hole that is missing...
I keep seeing it fixed like that....
People, give the water a place to go....geez

Rich
carr914
welcome.png

When I did mine, I think AA you had to buy both sides.

RD just Sold me what I needed. I also added the Clamshell & Engman kit
draganc
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 12 2011, 09:12 AM) *

I have a #330 new that I ended up not using on my restoration if you wan't to save a little bit of money!

$45 plus shipping from 94505!

That's a good deal! Before you cut any metal make shure you get some new parts before!

btw, i hope you have a MIG and know how to weld. that's what you gonna be doing for some time welder.gif

have fun!
draganc
PS: Here a pic of my hell hole, which i consider not too bad.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.