Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aluminium fuel tank for stock location.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phillstek
Ever since cutting and welding my original tank it had a rust problem. Ultra fine rust particles were constantly being sucked through the lines blocking the fuel sock and despite 3 in-line filters, clogging the jets and giving me the shits.

I know I could have just got a kit and treated it but I kept getting conflicting opinions on whether or not that works.

Checked out the Fuel Safe option and they couldn't modify the bladder for rhd applications so the only bullet proof solution was to make one.

Started by profiling the tank bulkhead and then folding some sheet to suit.

Tank will have internal baffling, swirl sump for future efi conversion and a roll over valve for venting.

Also doing an expansion tank that will mount on the front side of the bulkhead.

Not sure what the exact capacity will be but I reckon it'll be around 60 litres

Here are some progress pictures, all thoughts and comments welcome.

Phil
rick 918-S
Very nice idea. The only suggestion I have would be to use a "T" dolly in a vise to strike the edges over slightly. Round them over to meet each other. Here's a diagram of what I'm explaining.

Click to view attachment

Sorry for the crude drawings. But if you can break the corners where they meet they are less likely to warp as you try to weld them. It gives them a nicer round look. Also when butt welding two panels with the kind of heat transfer aluminum has you want to crease the panels like the lower example. This will help the panels stay aligned and make for less work straightening when your done. It gives you a nice crown to fillet. welder.gif
phillstek
Thanks for the tip rick, although my welder friend managed to keep the distortion under control and apart from a couple ugly, fat-arse welds on the ends, it came out looking pretty good.

The internal pump routes fuel to the expansion/accumulator tank (small tank in pic). The e/a tank will mount up behind the main tank, under the cowl and feed to main pump, breather and charcoal can.

Using flexible stainless lines between the tanks and Tangerine lines through the tunnel.

Trial fitting of the tank went well, it fits like a finger in a place where a finger shouldn't go (polite version of an Australian colloquialism). I will use a piece of conveyor belt rubber under the tank and mount tabs to isolate chassis vibrations and rattles.

We can do more of these if there is any interest. It was made for left or right hand drive cars.

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Phil
URY914
How much does it hold?
phillstek
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 10 2011, 10:04 PM) *

How much does it hold?

I haven't filled it yet but the estimate is 55-60 litres.
Hontec
Very nice!! did you sump/baffle/foam it by any chance?

Series9
That's extremely well done. Nice job.
Eric_Shea
Excellent Phil.
ptravnic
Ambitious project - very nicely done. beerchug.gif

Niklas
Nice work!!

You should sell them.

Do you make if I order ?
Can you send to sweden ?
Maybe it is to expensive to send to sweden ??

Niklas
76-914
No baffles?
phillstek
Thanks for all the positive comments beerchug.gif

Hontec, the tank has 2 baffles and a swirl sump but no bladder or foam. By comparison to the work you do, my tank is pretty crude.

Niklas, yes we can make it if you want one. Not sure as to price and I would imagine that shipping from here to Sweden would be prohibitive. It depends on your definition of expensive.

Thanks again to all. I'm glad you guys like it.

Phil
wingnut86
Phil,

You have to ignore Hontec sometimes.

He's all about the "Bling" factor as we say in Yankee land.

I mean really, green lines in the floor?

He's not even Irish happy11.gif

Excuse the hijack > Image of Hontec when we meet finally chair.gif
JmuRiz
Very cool...I've always been jealous of those English car guys that have stainless and alumn fuel tanks for good prices on the aftermarket.
phillstek
Tanks for all the positive comments. Trial fitting the new tank revealed a couple of minor clearance issues. Had to modify the filler neck and counter sink the fuel level sender aperture as they just fouled the bonnet when attempting to close it. Other than that it turned out really nice.

Phil
mikea100
Great job, Phil. Are you planning on mass producing it? There're many threads on cleaning rusty fuel tanks, but making an new aluminum piece trumps them all. Well done.
rwilner
with this tank in place, can you install the fresh air blower?
phillstek
Blower fits fine but I removed the right-side splitter as that's where I'm locating the expansion/accumulator tank.

Making a tank from scratch was probably 'overkill' but I wanted the fuel system to be as bullet-proof as possible. We can manufacture to order if required but as far as 'mass production', I don't think so. Shipping costs from Australia would be hellishly expensive as well.

Thanks for looking and all the feedback.

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.