Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original 1970 914/6 Value & a '71 914/6 Clone
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtbr_mark
Hi guys. I posted this in the classifieds section as well but was encouraged to post it in the garage too. I recently helped a friend finish a 1971 conversion where we put a 2.7 in. This car is complete with 5 lug axles, upgraded Bilstein suspension, the works. I'm looking for some advice though. My friend Chuck just passed away from esophageal cancer at the age of 61. As an avid auto enthusiast he had three Porsches to his name when he passed away; a 2010 Boxster, the 1971 914/6 clone that we built, and then his original 1970 914/6. His wife asked me if I would be willing to help her sell the two 914s so of course I said that I would. My question is this...can you guys give me a ballpark for what to be asking for each? I'll have to dig up some more details for everyone on the original 6 but I do know that he ended up pulling the 2.0 stock six that was in there and replaced it with a 3.0 as well as a very built transmission. So again, just looking for some direction on the value of these cars before we move on too far.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Tom_T
Okay Six-perts out there - help him out ...... poke.gif
popcorn[1].gif
Jeffs9146
It would help to see detailed photos!

Does the original 6 still have the 2.0L included out of the car? Is the trans an original 6 trans? How is the Hell Hole rust and the over all condition of the car? $10K - $40K or more!

Conversions can be all over the map but a well sorted one can go for good money depending on what kind of details and restorations were done in the process! $8K - $30K!

So photos and details!
Eric_Shea
Mark,

Best to find someone who can actually set eyes on the cars. The Boxster is probably as simple as checking used values among like years and mileage.

The 914's are a little more difficult and varying factors include much of what Jeff states. A well done conversion can command a high price. A rusty six might go for a low price. Numbers matching helps and the values are going up as the rest of the Porschephiles are waking up to these fun little cars.

Where in OR are you? If you're along the corridor then it's possible some experts may drive by as they head to Rennsport Reunion mid-October.

Detailed pictures here would definitely help but, even then, I'd be willing to bet you'll get prices all over the map.

Main thing to do is "wait" for a real appraisal from someone who knows these cars.
carr914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 21 2011, 08:49 PM) *

Okay Six-perts out there - help him out ...... poke.gif
popcorn[1].gif

I put my comments in the Classifieds Thread - maybe an Admin can combine the 2 Threads
Cairo94507
Hello Mark,

Sorry for the loss of your friend. I have to agree with Eric, be patient and wait for some appraisals from people in the know re these cars. There are lots of people looking to pick these up and steal them if possible from uninformed sellers. So unless the widow is in financial distress and just has to have the money ASAP, be patient and set the price according to the market.

I would love to see pictures and lots of them, of the '70 six with as much detail as you can provide about the car and condition. How long your friend owned it, the number of owners, the mileage and if the odometer was/is working, receipts, owner's booklets, tool kit, etc.

Also notes re any modifications that are apparent in addition to the 3.0 and transaxle. Like headers, GT flares, wheels, and such.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures and good luck. Very nice of you to step-up and help your friend's wife.

Tom_T
FYI All - here's the link to his other post in the classifieds where TC & others have also replied. I agree it would be best if they could be merged here, but don't know if that's even possible.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=144955

Mark - if you go to the website below & put in you zip code, then the car info, then it will give you'll get what the car dealers use for pricing info., as well as looking at the info at the Excellence link below that. type.gif

NADA = Nat'l Auto Dealers' Assn. link:
http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars
FYI for my SoCal zip 92867 it gives for the 70/6: $21,100 $24,500 $31,400

Excellence on 914 values:
http://www.excellence-mag.com/resources/bu...guide/856880138
... some come up here, but there are many more if you Google & check other classifieds, etc. -
http://www.excellence-mag.com/classifieds?...mp;to_year=1972

These are only ballparks & generalities, so what Eric & the others are saying is the real answer. Also if the original "numbers matching" 6 motor & transaxle are still available in your buddy's parts stash, that adds value to the original 70 /6 - so don't sell those off separately. Pix help too.

Even if estimates are all over the place - the actual value will be what you/his widow settle on to sell, since the actual buyer & seller will make the market - not any experts.

Out of curiosity - what color is the 1970 914-6 now & originally (if changed)? confused24.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
///////

mtbr_mark
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 21 2011, 05:59 PM) *

It would help to see detailed photos!

Does the original 6 still have the 2.0L included out of the car? Is the trans an original 6 trans? How is the Hell Hole rust and the over all condition of the car? $10K - $40K or more!

Conversions can be all over the map but a well sorted one can go for good money depending on what kind of details and restorations were done in the process! $8K - $30K!

So photos and details!

I'll have photos for everyone to see tomorrow evening. Don't hold me to these details until I can double check tomorrow since it's all from memory right now but here's what I can say of both (I'll have more info on the clone since I built it). And I apologize now if my descriptions are a bit naive or off, but I'm still new to the Porsche world.

Some Back Story on the Owner
Chuck McCart was an E.R. Doctor with more people biding for his time than his heart could say no to. Always quick to help anyone with a need he found himself working looong hours everyday at the hospital as well as serving as medical director and adviser for multiple organizations. He was a man who was incredibly meticulous about everything that he did. I think largely in part because of his background as a helicopter pilot and Doctor. He flew through Vietnam as a young man and then returned to the states to run his own helicopter based fire fighting business, and then at 37 went to medical school to become a doctor. He was a lover of anything that went fast. Sports cars (including his 914s, Boxster, and AC Shelby Cobra), airplanes, and helicopters were his passions.

Real 1970 914-6
- Red exterior (and I believe that years ago it was yellow)
- Black interior
- GT Flares
- Currently has a 3.0L with 40mm Webers
- Original 2.0L is included as well. It seized up when installed in the '71 clone as the diagram that came with our fender mounted oil tank showed the lines plumbed backwards. Consequently when we started it up, it ran it for about 30 seconds, then stopped and would not turn over at all. Extent of internal damage is unknown. Could be minor, could be major. We opted to pull the motor and go a different route rather than tear into and rebuild this one. But we do still have it and it will be included with the car if wanted.
- Momo steering wheel
- Transmission has been greatly improved from everything that Chuck had told (he was extremely proud of how it was built) me but I don't remember the extent of work done to it. Hopefully the pictures tomorrow will be clear as day for those of you who know more about these than I do.
- 4-Point belts
- Front trunk mounted oil cooler with oil lines plumbed in the driver side rocker panel
- 2-piece BBS Wheels (the original Fuchs are on the clone)
- Custom built and tuned stainless steel exhaust
What's wrong
I haven't seen this car run in a couple years namely because of Chuck's extremely busy schedule. Before parking it though he frequented any track days he could get to as well as running at Laguna Seca Raceway as I'm sure many of you have as well. There is a significant oil leak of some sort as there was a substantial amount of oil under it at one point (possibly a cracked oil line if I had to guess)

1971 914-6 CLONE
- Red exterior (the car was blue at one point as evidenced by the blue paint on the underside of the rear trunk)
- Black Interior
- Mild Flares
- 2.7L out of a 911 with 40mm Weber carbs
- Firewall welded motor mount with sportmount bushings
- Oil tank in 914-6 fashion is mounted in the driver side fender well
- Sideshift transmission with new shift rod bushings at the firewall and end of shift rod where it connects to the transmission
- High-performance axles
- 5 lug hubs
- Fuchs wheels from the 914-6
- Upgraded coilovers (I'll check what springs and shocks they are)
- Second oil cooler is mounted in the rear passenger fender well with a 6” thermostatically controlled electric fan
- Upgraded electric fuel pump
- Engine bay is painted satin black and engine is a black and red scheme. Most everything that's red on the engine has been powdercoated, not painted
- MSD Ignition
- Brand new Bursch tuned exhaust
- Hell Hole has been cut out and replaced with new sheetmetal welded in
- New heater flapper boxes on the exhaust
- Fuse box has been replaced with modern fuse block
What's wrong
- Two things. Before being diagnosed Chuck noticed that one of the headlights would sometimes stick when opening so he took both of them apart and didn't get a chance to reinstall them. And while putting some miles on it after finishing the build we noticed that the handling just wasn't perfect. When we took it in for an alignment they said that it had a bent strut. Again, with plans of replacing it, Chuck removed the front driver side strut and hadn't had a chance to replace it before things went south.

Again, I'll take loads of pictures tomorrow and get those up. I agree that it would be in our best interest to get better educated opinions from people more engrossed in this line of cars. And no, Gail isn't pressed to sell these. She just doesn't have a need for them or any strong sentimental attachment so she asked if I would be willing to see if I might be able to help her sell them. They were Chuck's babies. Thanks again for all the input and advice everyone.
mtbr_mark
From the research that we've done, as of now what we've been considering for prices would be...

$17,000 for the Clone
$35,000 for the 914-6

Like I said though, I'll get some pictures up tomorrow evening and then you guys can tell me if we're way off in left field or somewhere in the ballpark. I think so far that these prices are realistic and fair.
Eric_Shea
When this turns back into a For Sale thread, we'll have to move it back to the classifieds.
RickS
I was recently offered $30K for my narrow body '71 6 with a new 3.0, with full Elephant suspension, side shift, 6 and 7s 5 lug Fuchs, early S brakes, with no rust, SSIs, excellent interior and exterior - I would guess about an 8 point car. The money can be had if the car is right and you find the right buyer. I am not selling - the car is just too much fun.
mtbr_mark
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 21 2011, 09:23 PM) *

When this turns back into a For Sale thread, we'll have to move it back to the classifieds.

Deal. Let me get some pictures up tomorrow and then I'd love it if we could do that. Thank you again for all the help.
mtbr_mark
QUOTE(RickS @ Sep 21 2011, 09:45 PM) *

I was recently offered $30K for my narrow body '71 6 with a new 3.0, with full Elephant suspension, side shift, 6 and 7s 5 lug Fuchs, early S brakes, with no rust, SSIs, excellent interior and exterior - I would guess about an 8 point car. The money can be had if the car is right and you find the right buyer. I am not selling - the car is just too much fun.

Rick,
That sounds like a great machine. Hopefully someone will see the same value in ours as well.
sixerdon
Here is a good resource that will help you understand the asking price and sales history of 914/6's.

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/sales_history_9146_916

Good Luck.

Don
mtbr_mark
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 22 2011, 08:01 AM) *

Here is a good resource that will help you understand the asking price and sales history of 914/6's.

Good Luck.

Don

Wonderful resource! Thanks Don.
Tom_T
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 22 2011, 08:01 AM) *

Good Luck.

Don

Ooops! I forgot that one, it's really good with pix of the actual 914-6s. idea.gif

It also won't hurt to do a "Porsche 914-6" searches in the classifieds here, 914club.com, ClubNARP.com, Pelican's website classifieds, TheSamba.com, PCA.org (Porsche Club of America), Excellence Magazine's classifieds (I gave the link above), LemonFree.com & Lycos.com, etc. - if you haven't done so yet. Those are also good places to list FS to expand your reach.

You may want to start with a "clean" FS thread in the classifieds to eliminate all of our chatter, and just focus on the cars, info. & pix there. You can always put in a link to this one, but I don't know that it helps buyers necessarily, because it's like talking to 10 lawyers - you get 100 "opinions"! biggrin.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
The real money is in the /6 put back to original condition. Sounds like that won't be easy. Its important to determine if the 2.0 block is still usable.
mtbr_mark
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 22 2011, 11:44 AM) *

The real money is in the /6 put back to original condition. Sounds like that won't be easy. Its important to determine if the 2.0 block is still usable.

I agree that there would be greater money if that were done but I don't think that Gail's wanting to deal with the hassle of a project like that at this time in life. We'd rather find someone that appreciates it for how it's built now even if that means a lower sticker price.
carr914
I think as long as you have the Original Engine Case, you will be OK.

I have a 2.8 Twin-Plug in my car, but my Original Case is on a shelf. there are a lot of guys that do this.
RFoulds
the Boxster, check value on kbb.com

for 914-6, and any 914, I like to check EBay and search for that car, and "Completed Auctions" That way you see the price it sold for, NOT the asking price.

mtbr_mark
I'm completely computer-tarded. I apologize. I just uploaded photos and made a new post rather than a reply to this one. Let's try this again...

If it works, these are of the real 1970 914/6. In addition, I had people mention the value of documentation. Chuck was, as I stated, extremely meticulous. I have a file folder no less than an inch and a half thick with every sales receipt, service and maintenance record, and part purchased for this car from 1988 to the present as well as the original sales agreement between Chuck and the dealership in Portland that he bought it from.

You'll notice that the rocker panel covers are off in these photos. They are intact and in good order. Chuck had just taken them off one evening when trying to find time to hunt down the oil leak.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
mtbr_mark
And here are photos of the 1971 914-6 clone. You'll notice here as well that the front driver side strut has been removed as mentioned yesterday. And again, the rocker panel covers were off while working on the car and are intact and part of the car. The engine lid is also still here. It was just taken off while tuning to make life less cramped.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
BajaXJ92
What beautiful cars! Happy to see them surface and go back onto the market! smile.gif

Whats sitting under that cover in front of the /6 clone?
Cairo94507
Bravo! Nice pictures and two nice cars. That (original) 914-6 is loaded with some nice goodies. Both cars are very nice and I hope that they go to someone who will appreciate all the work that has been put into them. It goes without saying that I would love to see them remain here in the U.S. Best wishes and thanks for the pictures. Nice job.
mtbr_mark
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Sep 23 2011, 02:59 AM) *

What beautiful cars! Happy to see them surface and go back onto the market! smile.gif

Whats sitting under that cover in front of the /6 clone?

AC Shelby Cobra
PanelBilly
Have a BBQ and invite the clan for a build party. These cars need to be road worthy again before they are put on the market.
mtbr_mark
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 23 2011, 06:02 AM) *

Have a BBQ and invite the clan for a build party. These cars need to be road worthy again before they are put on the market.

My uncle suggested the same thing yesterday while talking to him. He's an avid 914 owner himself. I have to talk it over with Gail but I would love to do exactly that and have these beautiful cars driving before going up for sale. The hardest thing is that I'm not too tied into the 914 world yet. It's hard to ask for help from people you barely know.
JmuRiz
Good pictures, with some work both cars could be knockouts. 914 clean-party would totally be doable in the PNW, lots of active members up there.
horizontally-opposed
A couple of cool cars, and it will be nice to see them back on the road!

Just my two cents, but a couple of quick ways to raise desirability and thus maximize value for the widow:

-Swap Fuchs to the original 914-6
-Swap black bumpers to the original 914-6
-Consider swapping engine lids, or doing a GT-style engine lid on the real 914-6
-Get yellow part of floor covered up (while still being up front about color change)
-Get rockers back on and get the cars outside for photos.

Basically, I'd do whatever I could to make the real six as nice and as factory looking as I could without going past the low-hanging fruit (see above). The real money is in that car, and it seems like people looking for real 914-6s want either stock or factory-looking cars — while the 71 hot rod is open season, so bring on the BBSs, the 916 bumpers, etc. etc.!

GLWS! Nice of you to do this for her! beerchug.gif

Best,

pete
sixerdon
The speedometer in the picture is not for any 914. It shows 6 digits for the odometer and a push button for setting the trip odometer. Look in your friends stash of parts to see if you can find the real one with 5 digits and without the push button going through the glass face.
Again, good luck.
Don
mtbr_mark
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 23 2011, 08:59 AM) *

The speedometer in the picture is not for any 914. It shows 6 digits for the odometer and a push button for setting the trip odometer. Look in your friends stash of parts to see if you can find the real one with 5 digits and without the push button going through the glass face.
Again, good luck.
Don

We have the original. It's in the Clone since we put the 2.0L from the 6 into it originally then went with the 2.7L
Tom_T
QUOTE(mtbr_mark @ Sep 23 2011, 06:12 AM) *

My uncle suggested the same thing yesterday while talking to him. He's an avid 914 owner himself. I have to talk it over with Gail but I would love to do exactly that and have these beautiful cars driving before going up for sale. The hardest thing is that I'm not too tied into the 914 world yet. It's hard to ask for help from people you barely know.

I think that your fellow PNW 914er in Kent just offered! poke.gif

This group on here in general has done that for several others that I've seen, it's just a matter of getting the time, space, parts & other logistics set up.

PS - I agree with the others - get all of the original -6 stuff back in it (or available to put back in, such as the 2.0-6 motor); & put the custom, aftermarket & non-OE stuff in the clone.
Ferg
After seeing the pictures, I'd say to expect far less than some of the earlier numbers that were thrown out...

May be best to let the market decide on these, meaning ebay, after some cleaning and fixing...

Also, check the back of those fuchs on the clone, they may be a clone as well.
mtbr_mark
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 23 2011, 02:32 PM) *

QUOTE(mtbr_mark @ Sep 23 2011, 06:12 AM) *

I think that your fellow PNW 914er in Kent just offered! poke.gif

This group on here in general has done that for several others that I've seen, it's just a matter of getting the time, space, parts & other logistics set up.

PS - I agree with the others - get all of the original -6 stuff back in it (or available to put back in, such as the 2.0-6 motor); & put the custom, aftermarket & non-OE stuff in the clone.

poke.gif smile.gif No doubt about it Tom. Billy got in touch with me this morning to offer his assistance in these projects. I'm just about to pick up the phone and talk stuff over with him. You guys are have really blown me away with your help. I can't say thank you enough to everyone.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mtbr_mark @ Sep 21 2011, 01:42 PM) *
My friend Chuck just passed away from esophageal cancer at the age of 61.

I was going to put the VIN of the /6 into our database and found that Chuck had already added it.

He only posted here once:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1155766

driving.gif
mtbr_mark
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 23 2011, 04:25 PM) *

QUOTE(mtbr_mark @ Sep 21 2011, 01:42 PM) *
My friend Chuck just passed away from esophageal cancer at the age of 61.

I was going to put the VIN of the /6 into our database and found that Chuck had already added it.

He only posted here once:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1155766

driving.gif

smile.gif Me again. When I was up at his shop helping him with the clone I set up a user account for him so he could troll around and find any info he needed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.