Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rover V8 Conversion - It's DONE!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cheapsnake
What started out as a quick restoration of a '73 2.0 for my wife's summer drive has turned into a 3 year restoration and V8 conversion. Even though there's a few quirks to work out, I'm sticking a fork in it and calling it done.

Click to view attachment
The finished product. This car started out as the usual rust case, with the typical longitudinal and hole from hell replacements. I also stiffened the tub with 16 ga. sheet wrapped around the rear corners.

Cosmetically, the PS sail panel and door jamb and were pretty much eaten away and that was replaced. The driver's side wasn't quite as bad but had a couple holes rusted through forward of the door. Oh yeah, both doors were caved in and creased. Front trunk floor wasn't quite rusted through but I replaced it anyway. I found out after I had gotten into it that the car had taken a front and rear hit. The repairs were typical collision shop repairs (patch it up and get it out of here). There didn't appear to be any structural distortion.

Paint is a good 5 footer, did it in my garage.

Click to view attachment
5 lug conversion, boxed trailing arms and 225x15 Falkens on Fuchs all around. Fiberglass flares were an absolute PITA. Bought one set here on the forum that did not fit at all. After days of fitting and a gallon of Rage Gold, I tore them off and replaced them with another set that fit much better. In hindsight, I would definitely have paid the price for steel and saved a lot of time.

Being a cheap bastard, I tried to use as much of what I have and that included the sail panel trim, which was dinged and and scratched like most of it is. I sprayed it with Krylon Hi heat paint and buffed it out to look almost like black chrome. I actually like the look better than the original.

Click to view attachment
Interior is pretty much stock except for the console. I replaced the black vinyl with brushed aluminum and installed Auto-Meter gauges, volts, oil pressure, and water temp. Believe it or not, that's the original carpet. That stuff is indestructible. The little box at the botom of the console is the Megajolt programmable controller for the ignition system, very cool system from a bunch cool young car guys.

Click to view attachment
Now for the good stuff. A Rover 3.5L all aluminum V8. I always thought this was an ideal match for the teener. Stock, it puts out 152 HP. I put 4.0 heads and headers on for a boost in compression and better flow, and a 282 cam. Air/'fuel is via a stock intake manifold and Quadrajet carb. I was tempted to do a Holley but the Quadrajet is perfect. Desktop Dyno calculates just over 200HP. Not bad, double the HP with no weight penalty.

The red thing you see just forward and to the left of the air cleaner is where the dizzy used to be. I replaced it with a Ford EDIS ignition system in order to keep the engine as far forward as possible without cutting into the bulkhead. The stuff you see on the left side is the coil pack, one for each cylinder. A trigger wheel and sensor was added to the harmonic balancer.

Everything mounts up to the stock 901 with a Kennedy adapter.

I was obsessed with keeping the axles as close to original location as possible to minimize angular deflection so I also eliminated the water pump pulley to avoid cutting into the bulkhead or moving the engine back. I kept the water pump and removed the pulley and gutted the vanes, save a good 1 1/2". An electric water pump serves the purpose. In the end, I was able to keep the axles within 3/4" of the stock location. I'm happy with that.

Click to view attachment
Cooling is via an aluminum radiator, vented out the fender wells on either side. I originally ran the cooling lines, Gates 1 1/4" Green Stripe through the longitudinals and origianl heat ducts, but that turned out to be a baaaad idea. Getting past the gas tank and making the sharp bends necessary makes the install a real PITA and severely restricts flow when it's all done. Seemed like a good idea at the time but, I ended up rerouting everything down the centerline and live happily ever after. The black box in front of the gas tank is the heater core and fan from a Ford Taurus. I've got a Merdedes WS washer pump to pump cooling water through the core. Ducting heat into the cabin is a challenge.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out but never imagined it would take as much time, energy and $$$$$ to get it done, famous last words. This project started out as my wife's summer drive, but turned out to be more of a drive than she cares for.

Driving impression: it's a blast. The Rover is a quick revving engine anyway, but mated to the original light clutch and flywheel, it's got instant throttle response. Unfortunately, you have very little flywheel effect to get you off the line so you need to have some revs to avoid killing the engine, but once you're going it's a very streetable car. And the sound from these little V8's is sooooo sweet. And, of course, since there hasn't been much weight added, aside from the radiator and plumbing, the same great handling characteristics remain.

After three years of late nights, skinned knuckles and bad tempers, I;m happy.

Tom
racerbvd
Nice job!!!!
Krieger
Very nice! It doesn't look like it took very long...maybe a couple of long weekends biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Great looking conversion!!!!
rick 918-S
beerchug.gif Finished just in time to store it for the winter. dry.gif
Dr Evil
I am glad you did this smile.gif Inspirational thumb3d.gif
Tom_T
Looks great! smilie_pokal.gif

shades.gif Now the question is.......will the wife driving-girl.gif .....or you? confused24.gif
... I could venture a guess on that one! biggrin.gif driving.gif w00t.gif
914.SBC
beer3.gif
CHEERS...very impressive.
nsr-jamie
Excellent!!
Ferg
beerchug.gif Nice! What color is that? It looks real good on a 914.

Ferg
patssle
Very nice.

I'm curious though, why that engine over a Porsche 3.0L or 3.2L for similiar HP? Is it cheaper, or just something different to do?
speed metal army
Nice work!Cool new angle on a motor I never actually thought of! beerchug.gif Nicely installed too....
Mike Bellis
Congrats! Enjoy it... smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(patssle @ Sep 23 2011, 08:50 PM) *

Very nice.

I'm curious though, why that engine over a Porsche 3.0L or 3.2L for similiar HP? Is it cheaper, or just something different to do?

Yes. and Yes.

Nicely done. cheer.gif (And I don't even like V8 conversions). laugh.gif
BajaXJ92
Very nice car.

I used to own a Land Rover Discovery, and if that 3.5L sounds anything like my 4.0L V8 did, you've got a great sounding car!

Love the color too! beerchug.gif
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(Ferg @ Sep 23 2011, 07:50 PM) *

beerchug.gif Nice! What color is that? It looks real good on a 914.

Ferg

The color is Arizona Mist Metallic from TCPGlobal. It's a single stage urethane, which I thought would be more forgiving than a base coat/clear coat job for an amateur. If I had it to do again I'd go the bc/cc route, easier to fix mistakes on metallics. I have almost the same color on my Cobra and loved it so figured, why not?

QUOTE(patssle @ Sep 23 2011, 07:50 PM) *

Very nice.

Good question. I fell in love with these engines in my TR8. It's a proven design that goes back to the Buick/Olds Pontiac 215 of the early 60's. In fact, it's virtually the same engine. Despite it's low tech design, it's capable of some pretty impressive output. The 1965 F1 Championship Brabham was based on this engine. They are very responsive and rugged engines.

Yes, I did look at the Porsche V8's and they are tempting since they come with the power I was looking for right out oif the box. However, when I factored price, parts availabilty, upgrade potential and familiarity into the equation, the Rover won out. That, and the fact that I had one sitting in the corner of th shop begging for a home.

Oh yeah, did I mention the sound? Closest thing to a Ferrari exhaust note you'll get this side of Beverly Hills. I've got some video with sound that I'll post as soon as I can get some time.

Tom
Cheapsnake
Just added a video of the walk-around and engine start.

914/Rover conversion
Bartlett 914
Very nice. Great sound also.
jimkelly
wow - looks great - sounds great - jim
jim_hoyland
Thanks for sharing! smile.gif Terrific build and video
Dr Evil
OK, now I want one smile.gif
andys
Very nice car. Thanks for sharing!

Andys
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 27 2011, 11:49 AM) *

OK, now I want one smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=145302 piratenanner.gif
Scott S
Neato! Man, i want a V8 car more and more (and more, and more and more....)

Great job - love it! beerchug.gif
Rotary'14
Congrats on finishing! You must be very proud. biggrin.gif
Neat video too!

-Robert
JRust
NICE drooley.gif . Glad to see you have it on the road. I finally put mine back on the road too. Wish you were closer we could take a drive. Be nice to see how your newer setup compared to my old one idea.gif

Congrats! Drive that sucker now driving.gif It puts a nice smile on your face
matthepcat
I really like your exhaust set-up. Any shots of how you routed it from the V8?
Cheapsnake
Jamie, I'd love to get together and compare notes. Meet you half way in Wyoming. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Sep 27 2011, 06:11 PM) *

I really like your exhaust set-up. Any shots of how you routed it from the V8?

Exhaust is pretty straightforward. The headers are stock 4.0 and they fit nicely alongside the tranny. From there, I fabbed an elbow of about 70* to mate up to the mufflers, which are garden variety 2 1/2" x 18" glass packs. I added 3" stainless tube tips just for a bit of bling. I used the stock hanger with a few mods.

I love the sound, but it may be a bit much on a long ride so I may be looking at some more muffling in the future.

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.