Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front fan (impeller) shroud removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
My first time removing the impeller shroud...

on p 21 step 12 of Haynes, it says to remove the 3 hex bolts and 7 cheesehead screws, and the front half of the impeller housing should come off. Mine is hung up on the driver's side by the alternator.

So then it says "if it can't be readily removed", to remove the impeller and pulley. Ok, I got the 3 bolts out of the impeller (these were hex bolts for me, not "multi tooth socket head screws"). Do I now just pull the impeller and pulley off together? Does anything else have to be removed? Seems like I would have to undo the large (24mm?) bolt on the alternator to get that pulley off...

Any other tips for this?

Thanks
Rich
bigkensteele
Is the motor in the car? I don't know that I would even try it with the motor in. It is really easy with the motor out, and it is pretty easy to drop the motor, so you may save yourself some time in the long run.

You should only need to remove the fan from its hub on the end of the crank. After removing the 3 bolts that hold it on, you should be able to pull it right off. After you get the fan off, there are 4 nuts behind the fan that hold the fan housing to the case. Remove those, and assuming you have removed all the the cheesehead screws, the fan housing should come off.

It is easier to handle if you take off the alternator. There are two bolts/nuts - the one that it swivles on, and the one that is used to tighten the tension. Remove those, but first disconnect the air guide that goes from the fan housing to the back of the alternator. Can't remember if it is a phillips or regular screw on the clamp. Oh, and the wiring harness.

Unless you really want to do a thorough cleaning, there is not reason to separate the two halves of the fan housing (that I can think of).
Dave_Darling
You remove the three bolts near the middle of the fan, then wiggle the fan until it comes off. If you can get the fan out of the way (access will be tight due to the sloping firewall) you can unbolt the four nuts that hold the back of the shroud onto the engine.

There is a bracket for the end of the oil cooler that I think bolts onto the right side of the shroud, so check for that and unbolt it if you can find it.

Once it is all unbolted, you might have room to pull the shroud out, but again it will be tight.

It's a lot easier with the engine out.

--DD
McMark
Don't bother pulling it in half. I don't know why the Haynes talks about that. Three bolts for the fan, four nuts for the impeller housing (the ones behind the fan) and the whole thing drops off.
rwilner
My engine is out of the car. Should have mentioned that...

Mark, I was pulling the front half off because I thought I needed to do that to install the magnetic pickup for the sensor wheel -- I thought it went in between the 2 case halves. I'll bolt the case halves back together, pull the fan off, remove the bolts behind the fan.

I'm assuming I have to unbolt/remove some of the thermostat stuff on top of the engine to get the whole case off. I'll check that out tonight.

I'm also changing my motor mounts (why not?) so removing the case should make that a whole lot easier also.

Thanks all, will let you know how I make out

Rich
r_towle
look for more screws.
Three sounds like to few.

There are screws around the edge, easy enough to spot.
There are also screws in recessed areas...
I cant recall where they all are....but look harder.

There are dowel pins that give you the last little fight at the end...but be gentle so you dont crack it.

Rich
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 26 2011, 09:18 AM) *

.....There are dowel pins that give you the last little fight at the end...but be gentle so you dont crack it.

..it's the dowel pins that are holding you up; or at least that's what gave me trouble at the end of removal.
SUNAB914
magnetic pickup for the sensor wheel
What is that? Did know our engines had such a thing..
Might want to recheck what you are doing or explain that one.
rwilner
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Sep 26 2011, 09:22 AM) *

magnetic pickup for the sensor wheel
What is that? Did know our engines had such a thing..
Might want to recheck what you are doing or explain that one.

microsquirt conversion.
76-914
[color=#000000]IF the fan will not pull out thru the housing after removing the 3 bolts, check the fan blades. If they are damaged they can protrude enough that the fan can hang up on the opening of the housing. I just discovered this Saturday.
SUNAB914
OK got it. Thought there must have been something else here.
McMark
Rich and I chatted on the phone, but for people who are searching in the future, there is a screw hidden behind the alternator tin. You have to remove the lower alternator bolt to free up the tin to access the screw behind.

Rich is installing this setup.
IPB Image
rwilner
I got my fan case halves back together. I loosened the hex bolt holding in the alternator, loosened the nut behind the carriage bolt, slid the alternator ccw in it's track and removed the vee belt.

Three bolts and a rap with a rubber mallet and the impeller came right off. It's missing one blade, not too bad...

I disconnected the thermostat cable and a 13mm nut on the passenger side holding the oil temp wire. Four nuts behind the impeller and the case slid right off!

Make sure you disconnect the branch heater tin and you have enough slack in the alternator wiring harness to slide it to the ground (or remove altogether).

Btw, super easy access to the motor mounts once the fan housing is removed. I'm replacing mine while I am in there.

Thanks for the help mark!

Am taking pics and will post in a separate thread.

The fun continues! chowtime.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.